on 19 March 2001
It takes a little getting used to, but if you are an avid fan of Indian cinema then you will really appreciate this gem of a movie. A history lesson and love story rolled into one, its haunting score will have you spellbound. Dilip Kumar is a legend in Indian cinema and by watching this movie you will know why. He plays the manager of a royal estate when he falls in love with a mysterious gypsy. They plan to get married, however his employer has other ideas. Must see!!
Here's a brooding and heated melodrama, that seems to me (as an non-Indian, English person) to have taken some great lines from myth and legend and put them all into a romantic drama that transcends time.

Having bought director Bimal Roy's 'Devdas' and played that, I found that I'd recorded Mudhumati from Film 4 years ago, but had never got round to playing it - what better time than now to do so?

I loved the multilayers of humour, the darker, sinister sides, the romance, the beauty and the love shown for the landscape and even the singing and dancing, which I have to admit, had always put me off 'Bollywood' films, before. Though long, over 3 hours with ad breaks, it was always compelling and ticked so many boxes that make for a really good film.

The on-screen quality, though, was a different matter, though, so bad were the white blemishes, it looked like it was sleeting on occasion! Sound was poor, too. One does get used to this, at least a bit, though and would probably lose some of its mysticism if it were a perfect digitally restored version, though I might actually buy such a disc, if one was released here and at a keen price.
on 4 January 2010
I saw this film in the mid 70s when I was a student at BITS, Pilani. By then it was more than 25 years old and I was reluctant to see a black and white film with actors of an earlier generation. A friend persuaded me to give the film a try and boy, was I happy ! Combine a handsome Dilip Kumar in his heydeys, a lithe and pretty Vyjanthimala dancing as only she can and music director Salil Chaudhry at his zenith, well you then have all the ingredients taht go to making it such a memorable film. The music is unforgettable and haunts me to this day !

V. Suresh
Strasbourg, France
on 4 November 2009
a wonderful film. I saw it on tv about 25 years ago and tried unsuccessfully to get it on video, saw it on tv again a few weks ago and looked to see if it was on dvd. I couldn't believe my luck when I got it and have watched it so many times. It has subtitles too which is great as I am an English person who loves Indian films and I need to understand the story, Fantastic story, lovely film and beautiful actress singer who plays Madhumati, she has the voice of an angel. I'd recommend anyone of any nationality to see this film and you too will be hooked.
on 25 February 2007
Made in 1958, this is one of the classics of Indian cinema. Dilip Kumar takes shelter from the rain in an old house among tea plantations. He relives his past life in the house and his doomed affair with a woman from the village.
on 21 February 2013
Absolutely love this film, bought it to replace an old copy. Dilip Kumar is one of the finest actors ever so if your into Bollywood make sure you see this film.
on 5 May 2014
Present for friend who always loved this film. SHe wasn't aware it was available so very happy to get it, and within 2 days of ordering too.
on 16 April 2014
It is an iconic film and was a sensational one when it ws released. My family enjoyed and reminisced about the film