on 18 December 2002
This book is my six-year-old daughter's favourite, and has been since we first discovered Madeline when she was three. Children love simple stories featuring quirky characters, and the imperfections of Madeline and the other characters make this book all the more appealing. Add to that the beautiful style of the prose and delightful illustrations - this book has it all.
When the prospect of reading a bed time story seems like a chore after a long day in the office, this book never fails to make the task a total pleasure and bring a smile to my face. An extra bonus is that it is guaranteed to settle my daughter for sleep.
If you have a daughter under the age of 10, you MUST own this book and read it together.
on 22 August 1999
I am sitting here with a young lady four years old who is also called Madeline and a large part of her being named Madeline was that I as her father - am "Mad about Madeline" too.
It is the flow and rythmn of the stories plus the beautiful water color illustrations. My four year old's favorite is "Madeline's Rescue". My favorite is "Madeline and the Gypsies" but they are all outstanding. A childhood without one of these books - buy one of the paperbacks if you you are new to Madeline and don't want to buy the complete selection yet- is incomprehensible.
on 6 January 1999
Our two little girls, three and two years old, LOVE Madeline. Daddy reads them one story each night -- they always get to pick which. For Christmas they got two new books which are still almost unread, since every night they want Madeline! The stories are exciting, but gentle and sweet; they are moral but not preachy. And the poetry is wonderful! Also the stories are not too long for a tired parent's voice at bedtime. But with only two little ones of my own, I wonder how DOES Miss Clavel keep TWELVE little girls in two straight lines?
on 17 July 1999
I absolutely love the madeline books. I think you can be any age and still enjoy them. This particular book happens to have all the stories in one fabulous book.
on 21 August 1998
This is an excellent book for little girls. Our daughter loves it. My only objection is the recommended age range. Our daughter has loved the books and the videos since she was one, and she is four years old now.
on 17 September 2010
I'm sure I am now one of many parents for whom Madeline, and some of her rhymes, have entered our family consciousness. This great value book contains all the Madeline stories in folio so you get to see Bemelmans' detailed architectural drawings of Paris, London and other French cities in full detail.

The earlier books do have stronger stories, and all are somewhat 'stream of consciousness' in style as being sewn up in a lion's skin follows on from running away with circus gypsies, and finding a horse leads to its near demise from eating a London garden. The most memorable part is the rhythmic poetry which has enough repetition for the smallest children to want to join in.

Our three year old will happily demand story after story. Her only disappointment is that she can't see the scar from Madeline's appendectomy. And she knows the answer to the question at the top of this review is 'poo-pooh'.
on 9 September 2009
This is a delightful book with wonderful drawings poems and childrens stories, it is a pleasure to read to a child, or for a child to sit and look at for hours in their own magical imagination, and it will make wonderful memories of exciting stories for any child.
10 out of 10
on 25 October 2008
I started reading this book to my daughter when she turned 3.She loves all the stories of Madeline, so we really enjoy this book! she s even "reading" it by herself some times and saying "In an old house in Paris..."
on 5 June 2013
Madeline is a brilliant character and the drawings are so very beautiful. The stories are funny, too. This edition makes a beautiful present for a girl but even for a boy- my seven year old daughter has enjoyed it but so has my five year old boy.
Wish more books were made like this today..
on 9 May 2016
My granddaughter loves the Madeline stories. The book was sent from America. It was second-hand, but in quite good condition for the price. Madeline lives "in an old house in Paris, all covered in vines, with 12 little girls in two straight lines". Beautifully illustrated.