MARTHA NOT ON THE BOX SET COVER?????????????

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-41 of 41 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2007 23:10:46 BDT
Get Real says:
Woolworths & Martha - now there is a match made in heaven. Perhaps they will give her a job on the pick'n'mix counter now she has alot more time on her hands.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2007 04:01:25 BDT
Woolworths also name Freema second to David, then John Simm. I know Simm made a huge impact in the finale, but that's it, he was in the finale. Freema was there throughout, did a blinding job (I felt she could have done even more if the scripts allowed her), and although I was suspicious at first, by the end of the series I'd really warmed to her and didn't want her to go. Especially as Donna is being reinstated. This character shouts so much my mum puts the telly volume down and we miss out on the eipsode content! (sorry, rant over). In any case, Woolies (online at least) are showing the same cover as on Amazon, am I looking in the wrong place? Am generally not liking the feeling she's being relegated. Front cover of companion media like the books isn't really the same as the face of the complete box set. Let us not forget Billie was on both, completly upfront. *sigh* I dislike being at the mercy of the BBC sometimes.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2007 10:05:44 BDT
Blue Moon says:
Hi star light star bright!
The cover you can see online is the generic one (Doctor and Master on one side, Doctor and Martha on the other) that will be available everywhere.

There is also a special edition, exclusive to Woolworths, showing the Doctor and Martha from a dalek's point of view (just as there is a special edition exclusive to Amazon showing the Master only on a lenticular cover).

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2007 11:13:57 BDT
Get Real says:
Acually there is a shot of The Doctor & Martha on the reverse of both the standard & the Amazon Exclusive box sets.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2007 23:00:05 GMT
J. B. Pape says:
Yeah, Martha made the series for me too. I am very diappointed that she isn't on the sleeve. It would be quite bizarre if the BBC made a big thing about how they aren't racist citing the character of Martha Jones in Doctor Who as evidence and then chose to feature a white man who was in only two episodes on the front of the DVD package in preference to her in the promotion of the DVD of the series. Whether or not you liked her performance, and most people I've met who watched the show seemed to think she was great, it would seem appropriate as one of the two stars of the series, equally billed with David Tennant throughout, that she be equally billed and promoted on the DVD. Certainly, Russle T Davies said from the outset that the female companion is as important as the Doctor. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the second half of Series 4 and hopeful that Martha Jones will be in the 3 specials the following year. (I notice that two people on this thread didn't like Martha Jones paricularly and seem between them to have posted as many messages as everyone else combined which I have found made quite depressing reading. I would hope that the Doctor Who writers will take their comments on board and build up Martha's part further to avoid their accusations that it lacked depth.)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2007 20:58:37 GMT
she wasn't fired! She's back in Series 4!
duhhh

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2007 22:57:01 GMT
M. S. Keeley says:
I wish I had seen your post beforeI brought Amazon's version of the series boxset because when I recieved it I was surprised to find it didn't have a plastic slipcase like my other two seasons did which I did buy from Woolworths and was disappointed with it because the design didn't fit with the previous two seasons.

I have now however purchased the Woolworths Exclusive with the plastic slipcase and Martha and the Doctor on it.Which is more like it.I will be buying my Doctor who boxsets from Woolworths in the future.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2007 05:19:11 GMT
Ms. N. Boden says:
lets be fair here. Most of us knew she would be on the reverse. The real question is why is the doctor/master cover being advertised rather than the reverse- and here's the answer. John Simm is a big star due to the success of life on mars and the master is a doctor who icon. Freema and Martha are neither of those things and even if you like her i feel common sense would lead you to agree.

It is not woolworths that is to credit with their 'exclusive' cover- they get what the BBC gives them just like the BBC have granted amazon an 'exclusive' cover. Then because of this the stores can advertise the box set more because they have something everyone else doesn't. We could see next year woolworths aren't granted the exclusives and hmv are or play are. In short its pure BBC business and I'm sure isn't meant to slight freema

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2007 03:33:45 GMT
A. Johnson says:
have you bought this? because if you have then you will see that the box is double sided and that martha is on the other side

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2008 22:34:19 GMT
Torchy says:
Cruel, but funny.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2008 17:35:44 BDT
The Avenger says:
A late reply to this post which i have just seen. I actually contacted the BBC about the Martha cover on the UK dvd set at time of release and received a reply from their Doctor Who DVD sales team which stated that they had decided to do a reversible sleeve with Tennant/Simm on one side and Tennant/Ageyman on the other because the doctor/master storyline was still fresh in the mind as it was the finale to the series. They stated that the sets were sent out to retailers with a note suggesting that they switch the covers over on some sets so that both sides were visible. They stated that it was unfortunate if retailers had not done this. (Knowing retailers its not surprising that they hadn't bothered to do this).

However, i feel that there are two main reasons for the Simm cover. The first, overt, reason is that the sales team felt that Simm would help sell the set to non-doctor who fans due to his high profile on "life on mars" . They know that Who fans will buy these sets anyway so they wanted to appeal to the casual buyer. This makes marketing sense.

The second more worrying reason that will not be admitted openly is that it is unfortunately still the case that there is a perception in marketing that "Black or ethnic" faces do not sell products and until the attitudes of those in marketing and sales and of us as buyers change this will remain an unspoken philosophy. The fact that Martha is on the cover of the US release is because there is more open awareness and debate of this issue in the US. (the issue of Black models not appearing on magazine covers was a major topic at one point there).

So if we in the UK began to openly question this issue things would change.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2008 06:40:52 BDT
Pma Sinclair says:
They are, good guess for a post that earliy

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2008 23:09:31 BDT
i have this boxset
she is on the other side :D

Posted on 3 Jun 2009 18:06:46 BDT
burgerbern says:
I have just purchased the Complete series 3 DVD from Amazon and on the cover one face has the Doctor and the master back to back with sonic and laser screwdrivers in hands, the other face has Martha and The Doctor leaping away from an Explosion, the set catalogue number is BBCDVD2385

Posted on 18 Jul 2009 19:47:22 BDT
Mrs H says:
I think it's racist. The BBC are known for it.

Posted on 16 Feb 2010 14:30:46 GMT
I. De Wolff says:
I'll be sticking with the Doctor and the Master - Martha was my least favourite of all the companians!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  25
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  2 Aug 2007
Latest post:  16 Feb 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Doctor Who - The Complete Series 3 Box Set [DVD] [2007]
Doctor Who - The Complete Series 3 Box Set [DVD] [2007] by David Tennant (DVD - 2007)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (162)