on 7 June 2002
Tom Wright is to be congratulated on making up to date scholarship on Luke's gospel not only easily accessible, but a source of inspiration and worship.
Wright begins each section of the book with a fresh translation of a few verses followed by a detailed commentary, usually beginning with a helpful illustration.
Each section takes about ten minutes to read. The book therefore lends itself to daily devotional reading
Within our Church congregation the book is being enjoyed by someone who has two M.A. degrees in theology, as well as some who have become Christians within the last few months.
Recommended for everyone who wants to take a fresh look at Luke's gospel.
0Comment43 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 August 2008
From the first page through to the last, this book is a real delight. I honestly treasure it.

In the past I have found commentaries to be books I only use as resource material, too heavy for much general reading. Understanding the scriptures is important to me and I am very grateful that the author chose to pass on his knowledge in such a gentle, engaging style. It means I can come home after a long day at work, help the kids with their homework and then have enough energy left to delve into the bible.

This is a book I look forward to opening each evening. Its like sitting down with a wise, learned old friend to discuss the bible together. Tom Wright has turned me from being a tired student into an avid reader.

I am totally impressed and have bought the lot. The whole set so far.

I want to shake him by the hand.

Thank you Tom.

Neil Hardisty.
VINE VOICEon 29 October 2013
I've been steadily working my way through all of Tom Wright's books in his "For Everyone" series and they are all particularly interesting. "Luke for Everyone" provides commentaries on the text of this gospel which both explain and enlighten. Luke's gospel covers much of the same ground as Matthew's and it makes for quite a familiar read. I admire the way that Tom Wright has managed to make sense of the quite disparate stories in the New Testament and convey that knowledge to the reader so that his or her faith is strengthened. All of the books in this series are like that. I feel that you draw closer to Jesus by reading the New Testament and thinking about it in a way that singing a few hymns and saying a few prayers in church on Sunday , then putting it out of your mind for the rest of a busy money making week, cannot.
on 11 May 2009
A well written, thought provoking book, like the others in the series, that can really bring to life the world of the new testament, and make the familiar shine in a new light. Highly recommended.
on 12 March 2014
This is not a verse-by-verse exposition, but gives very good insight into each passage of Luke. The author especially follows the theme of Jesus's teaching as he moves towards Jerusalem for the end. I find it useful to read alongside Mathew Henry's Commentary for each passage, as this does look at each verse. Tom Wright has also written companion Bile Study guiodes, and I intend to study these at some stage.
So far I have used the same author's 'for Everyone' guides for Mark, John and Matthew, and I have certainly learned a lot; the author has a gift for allowing one to see passages with fresh eyes.. I intend to use the same guides for the epistles next.
on 27 March 2013
we used this as part of a home group during Lent 2013
we would read a passage then discuss it using his comments to get discussion started
having his own translation which is quite different at times to the Bibles we had was more confusing than helpful - people brought NIV, NRSV, NEB and Good News - so this raised questions of why another translation?
His anecdotes, stories and comments engaged our interest and inspired some to read the whole book

it fills a gap between the highly academic commentaries and the more popular chatty ones
on 11 March 2013
Each chapter has to be read several times to get a clear understanding of its contents which is why I gave it oniy 4 stars, otherwise helpful in my quest to understand the the life of Jesus.
on 27 June 2013
I have bought this because I am training to be a Reader in the Anglican Church, It gives a simple good basic understanding of what Luke is all about.
on 22 March 2013
Good clear and thoughtful explanation of the gospel, the setting in which it was written and its meaning for today.
on 3 November 2014
I just love his mind. So many times I have found he gives new insights into familiar stories. I also appreciate the way that he makes you look at who is being addressed in the passage. Jesus was talking to Jewish people under Roman occupation and while there are timeless messages relevant to all generations, the primary message is historically significant
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse