Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Style Name: Flipside 400 AW|Colour Name: Pine Green|Change

on 27 September 2008
This really is a very good bag. It has plenty of room for my current kit and more for my future purchases. I have my body with a 35-70 lens fitted, a couple of primes, my Sigma 70-300 APO (fitted end on so only takes up one segment) and a couple more small zooms. I also have room for my little point & shoot and my Canon video camera. That lot has taken up a little over half of the segments in the bag. there are some lovely little pockets to hold memory cards in their cases and also a bigger mesh pocket. All of this is stored in a very well padded section and the zipper is against your back while wearing the bag so your kit is nice & safe.

There is another big pocket which is big enough to hold a small laptop. I have my filters, leads, cleaning kit, chargers, etc. in here. There's enough room to store a light coat too. There are a few little pockets inside this compartment for pens etc and one of them has a small clip to attach your keys to.

On the outside of the bag is a facility for attaching a tripod / monopod. A little pocket unzips from the bottom and is big enough to hold 2 legs of a standard tripod. There is an adjustable clip further up the bag to hold the pod in place. There is a provision at the top of the bag to put a small garment like a coat if your pocket is loaded with other items, This consists of 2 clips, one either side of the top. These clips can also be undone and clipped together across the back of the bag as a second pod securing strap and with both on the pod really is rather secure.

The all weather (the aw in 400aw) cover is very easy to use and covers a substantial part of the bag. I would be confident in this cover in all weathers except for maybe a monsoon. The cover can not be used at the same time as the tripod holding system.

The only things left are the strap system which consists of very well padded shoulder straps with a height adjustable chest harness and a very comfortable waist strap system that also holds the bag as a table when you spin it off your shoulders to access your kit. This system really is very good and holds a lot of weight and also keeps your lovely bag out of the dirt. There are a few loops on the bag and straps to take the Lowepro expansion pouches should you need them.

This bag is not cheap but if you're looking for a large, secure bag to carry, and keep dry, a lot of equipment then this is the bag for you. I can recommend it readily. You will not be disapointed.
11 comment| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2009
Lowepro Flipside 400 AW Backpack for DSLR Outfit - Pine Green
Having got back into SLR photography with a Canon 40D I have been acquiring lenses over the past 18 months. I have migrated from a Lowepro Slingshot 100AW to Slingshot 200AW. I have found that I each time I go out to take photo's I need to take additional bags. I was looking for a bag that could carry everything. I found it difficult to assess what you could fit into this bag by looking at the photo's. I checked out several sources. My biggest problem I was trying to solve was a bag that could carry lenses ranging from 10mm through to 400mm. My largest zoom is a Canon 100mm-400mm. Very large and heavy, and a pain to carry around in a separate bag. I have arranged the padded, sectioned interior and have fitted the following inside this bag without any problems: Canon 40D with 17-85mm fitted, 10-22mm, 28-135mm, 50mm, 100mm macro, 100-400mm and 55 to 250mm and a flash. There is not much room in the interior for anything else but it perfectly meets my requirements.

The build quality and webbing is made to a high standard. For semi-pro camera gear this is a compact and well built design. It is worth bearing in mind that you need the sturdy construction because of the weight of the gear you are carrying, not to mention the cost of course. The cost alone should justify a well padded weather proof bag.

This is my third Lowepro bag. I have deliberately kept to the brand because I know what I am getting. The AW suffix means that there is a waterproof cover that can be pulled out to cover the bag if it is raining.

The concept of having access to the inner compartment through the panel that you wear adjacent to your back is a good idea for security. The outer compartment can house things like accessories, and for me most useful a showerproof jacket.

I looked at other Lowepro bags at a higher price, some had higher specs and higher costs. I think that this one if you are an occassional photographer with a moderate amount of equipment (and cannot decide what subset to take with you) is a good compromise.

UPDATE: I used this backpack with 21 lbs of camera gear in it a few days back including a monopod carried on the outside. I also had a lightweight waterproof jacket in the compartment in the front. I walked for 14 miles along a coastal path. It also rained and I used the all weather cover. I found the bag extremely comfortable to wear, the equipment in it was kept stable with nothing rattling around. It was also kept dry. I thoroughly recommend this product.
on 7 November 2009
It took two months reading reviews before I purchased this item. Glad I did. Smart and well constructed like my other two Lowerpro camera bags. Lots of straps and adjustments ensure comfort. Good access.Adaptable partitioning. Pockets for cards and personal effects inside and out. Swivels on waist band to access contents. I do not own enough lenses to fill the space leaving room to pack a lunch box and other life necessities! Mesh pockets on both sides. I am only 5ft 1" and I guess the 300 would have sufficed but I could only physically test a 100 AW which was far too small. Several reviewers wished they had got the next size up so I thought: "What the heck". The main thing is it is comfortable to wear all day. My heavy, old-fashioned tripod sits on the top held on by two straps that are probably meant to secure a coat. My monopod sits nicely in the vertical tripod holder on the back. I would expect this bag to last for years - first class workmanship.
on 22 May 2008
I bought this bag but was unsure if it would be suitable for all my gear:

40D
100-400L with hood
24-70L with hood
10-20 Siggy with hood.
Cables, charger, spare batteries, memory cards etc etc.

I received the bag today and am please to say the gear fits in perfectly. Very snug, but not cramped, and very well protected. The method for twisting the bag round to access the camera works brilliantly. I'm very pleased indeed.

I'd recommend this to anyone considering a new backpack.
on 27 May 2009
I have recently read a couple of reviews slating the tripod holder, just wanted to let people know that there is a velcro flap on the bottom of the bag that pulls out a pocket to secure 1 or 2 legs of the tripod depending on the size - this means you can rattle around as much as you like and it will not move!! There is an orange logo to indicate this compartment.

Hope this helps guys..
on 2 March 2009
This bag is very good in that it looks physically small, doesn't look like a nerdy camera bag and holds my Nikon D700, 24-70 f2.8, 14-24 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8...plus a teleconverter and all the bits and pieces like cables and chargers securely - the rear opening thing is very handy for lens changing and security too
VINE VOICEon 6 January 2010
This is a great backback - large enough to fit a pro camera, several lenses, flash and accessories, but still reasonably compact. The pack is marginally narrower than my other one (Lowepro Mini Trekker AW Photo Backpack For Digital SLR & 3-4 Lenses - Black), but just narrow enough so that I can carry a tripod as well. I have a large tripod (Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod Legs Only - Black) with an attached carrying strap (Manfrotto 401N Quick Action Strap) - the Flipside is narrow enough to sit on my back and still allows me to sling the tripod strap over my shoulder as well. The Mini Trekker was too wide for the two to be carried comfortably, so this is a great improvement for me.

Despite it being compact the Flipside has ample room, and for going out and about I'm able to squeeze a D300, Nikon 18-200 lens, 11-16 Tokina lens, 50mm lens, SB600 flash, spare batteries, cards etc. into the bag with room left over. The wider lenses are a bit of squeeze, but they fit snugly and give you confidence that they're not going to move around when carried. You could probably fit a smaller DSLR body in as well, but at the expense of one the lenses (and without a lens mounted).

As other reviewers have said, the zips are abit tight sometimes (especially the one on the main compartment), but I found that if you press down on the padding when zipping/unzipping that it's easier to open.

The slingshot feature is a real bonus over the Mini Trekker. Before receiving this bag I was somewhat sceptical about this feature, but it really does work. You just slide out of the shoulder straps and twist the bag round to the front using the waist strap. Once there, it hangs down horizontally in front of you, allowing you to unzip the back and get at accessories, changes lenses etc., all without putting the bag down. So I can now change lenses whilst standing up, without having to find a seat, or somewhere clean to put the backpack down. An excellent product. Very much recommended.

UPDATE 04.09.2010:

Having used this backpack for getting on for a year I just can't praise it highly enough. If it broke I'd buy another one straight away - I think it's that good. The ability to change lenses etc. without putting the pack down is just so useful. I've added some lenses to my collection since my original review but this backpack still manages to hold all my biggest lenses despite its small size - e.g. Tokina 11-16, Nikkor 18-200 and Nikkor 105 Micro all fit (with one mounted to the camera), with room left over for a flash and other accessories. At the expense of taking the flash out, I can take a filter system (e.g. Cokin) instead complete with the Cokin accessory bag. I've also recently discovered that the webbing on the left hand side is a perfect size for taking the small thermos flask that I have - Thermos Everyday 50 Stainless Steel Flask 0.5L. So for me, this is a perfect solution. Can't recommend it highly enough.
on 18 May 2010
I've never been one for writing reviews but having just come back from two weeks in Morrocco I can't recommend this bag highly enough.

Key features:

Capacity - enough to hold the following: EOS 7D + 3 lenses + compact camera + filters + blower + manual + guide book + water bottle + waterproof and can still be taken on the plane as hand luggage. The camera body can be stored with any of the lenses attached (70-200mm F4L IS or 17-40mm F4L) and the dividers can be easily configured to ensure that the fit with aeach of them is snug and secure. Also the tripod pocket and strap work well if a little cumbersome.

Comfort - the weight distribution and thickness and padding on the shoulder and waist straps make the bag very comfortable even for long days in hot climates.

Security - rear access means that I can be confident that all my kit is secure and cannot be tampered with or worse. Also it doesn't scream 'camera bag' as it looks like a normal rucksack.

Access - the 'flip' system works very well. If I had a gripe it would be that the bottom sections are not that easy to access as the zip doesn't open all the way down to the bottom. This presumably is to ensure that the bag remains above horizontal when it's 'flipped'. Concerns about whether the waist straps would support the weight were unfounded.

In summary, if you're looking for a large capacity, functional and comfortable bag, this is it!
on 13 August 2008
This is just a helpful correction to the previous post, I have just recieved my bag and have had a look a the chest straps. If you just push the plastic fitments in either direction on the rails you can adjust the vertical positioning.
They don't look like they should move but they are on a cable rail hidden under fabric.
Build quality is excellent and there is plenty of space for lenses, flashes and other accessories. All compartment size's can be adjusted.
Waist straps are removable.
The bag feels very Light but also solid and secure.
I can't wait to test it out.
on 5 January 2010
I have been using this bag for a while now and whilst it is a good bag there are a few niggles. I have taken to strapping my little tripod on the side of the bag because it is carried too high in the conventional position, snagging on branches when creeping through woodland. If you are using pro lenses of large diameter you will probably have to remove half the internal packing. The camera then flops about a bit, but at least you can easily access it. With both side of the internal packing in place returning camera to bag was a struggle. This brings me to my final niggle - the short zips. With the bag hanging on the waistband there is a lot of strain on the zips, which makes me wonder if this will lead to problems in time.

Like photography, camera bags are a compromise. This is about the right size for a day out. There is room (just) for a reflector OR thin jumper or waterproof in the back, but the sarnies may have to go in the camera section. But - even if I designed my own it would not suit all occasions. Overall a good bag.