- Paperback: 224 pages
- Publisher: New Harbinger (20 Mar. 2014)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1608827860
- ISBN-13: 978-1608827862
- Product Dimensions: 1.9 x 15.9 x 23.5 cm
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 496,778 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Loving Someone with PTSD: A Practical Guide to Understanding and Connecting with Your Partner after Trauma (New Harbinger Loving Someone Series) Paperback – 20 Mar 2014
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
More About the Author
"A helpful guide for people seeking practical advice when their relationship is falling apart under the stress of trauma. Survivors and those who love and care for them will discover new ways to strengthen and deepen their relationships and reverse the destructive effects of post-traumatic stress." --Stephen Joseph, PhD, author of "What Doesn't Kill Us: The New Psychology of Posttraumatic Growth"
About the Author
Aphrodite Matsakis, PhD, is an internationally recognized expert in trauma and the author of several books dealing with traumatic reactions, including I Can't Get Over It!, Trust After Trauma, The Rape Recovery Handbook, and Vietnam Wives: Women and Children Facing the Challenge of Living with Veterans with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Matsakis has over thirty-five years of experience working with veterans, abused persons, and other trauma survivors; has taught at several major universities; and has conducted dozens of seminars for trauma survivors and trauma therapists.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Those who love and care for PTSD sufferers feel ignored and mistreated. The caregivers often suffer silently, not knowing what to think or what to do. Aphrodite Matsakis has done a magnificent job describing a loved one’s distress when trying to help and cope with a partner’s PTSD. The author covers issues such as the feeling of helplessness, not only in the PTSD survivors, but in the comforters. Matsakis explains PTSD symptoms, how difficult it is to communicate with a PTSD sufferer, psychological triggers that may drive a survivor into a rage, coping with a survivor’s panic attacks, addictions, suicidal thinking, alcoholism, and drug addiction. She describes common therapies and lists the right questions to ask a person in pain and in despair. Loving Someone With PTSD is a stunning achievement, a beautifully written book that flows from the heart with simplicity and clarity. It will not only save relationships; it will save lives.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Families & Parents > Marriage
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Neuropsychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Pathological Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Relationships > Weddings
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Self Help > Practical & Motivational