on 20 August 2015
GENRE: Fiction/Historical Romance
SETTING: England, 1811
SERIES? No
MY GRADE: A-

I really liked this and it reminds me of books published in the 80's. Tess is twenty-one, with red hair and violet eyes. She was raised by her aunt, Hester. Her uncle Sidney died recently and his distant cousin, Avery, has inherited everything. He's out to make Tess his but she's having none of it. He holds her aunts and her prisoner but she escapes and looses her memory after she's attacked. She makes her way into an inn and is mistaken by the owners as someone they're expecting. They also think she's a prostitute, as does Nick.

Nick is thirty-two, with black curly hair and dark brown eyes. He doesn't believe she's lost her memory. He thinks she's poor and along with her family is trying trap a wealthy man into sleeping with her so he'll have to marry her. That couldn't be further from the truth, but he doesn't know it. There's not much backstory on him.

I like the way they bicker a lot. I can't stand when hero and heroine get along great from the start and there's never any conflict. Boring! They've got chemistry from the start. Though Avery's a villain, I like him and think there should have been more of him physically in the story, not just in the beginning, and not just in conversations.

The time span is only about two weeks which is ridiculous, really. They're in love and married in that short time. I don't know why the story couldn't have spanned several months, at least. Nick's older sister, Athena, is deranged and hateful but we don't really find that out until the end. She was nasty from the start but I liked her.

The only thing I didn't like about this story is the plot about Nick's grandfather and his old diary from seventy years ago. I found all that stuff to be absolutely boring. I found the Avery's-out-to-get-Tess storyline interesting as well as the whole Tess/Nick meeting at the inn to be interesting...and Nick trying to catch smugglers too was interesting to me. More here: wp.me/pLm4B-1Og
on 12 January 1999
This was the first romance novel that I read, and what a book to start with! I have read two other Shirlee Busbee novel's and thought they were wonderful too. Shirlee Busbee's book's paint a picture in your mind of everlasting love and affection. Most people believe that romance novels have no plot, but the plots that Ms. Busbee creates are far to fun to pass up, and far to great to ever think that romance novels have no plot.
on 12 April 2013
An enjoyable read...not a Lady Vixen or Gypsy Lady though. Shirley is a super historical romance author...recommend you check all her books as you'll find something that will make you smile...enjoy!
on 31 March 2013
Wouldn't have minded if the book ended three quarters of the way through with a 'happily ever after' but it was still a great read.
on 13 March 2013
The contents of the book did not grab my attention fully as I have read other books with similar information.
on 23 June 1998
The story was great. One of the better romance stories one will ever read. Tess and Nicolas are really wonderful characters.