on 25 December 2013
This is the best book i had the pleasure of reading for a long time. Easy reading and very moorish. It's the kind of book that is more of a reference than anything. I would go back and read this time and time again to refresh my memory.
on 24 April 2010
This is the first book of Joe Navarro's that I have read and I will certainly putting his others on my reading list. This book is very well written and easy to read - once I started, I found it difficult to put it down. I read Body Language: How to Read Others' Thoughts by Their Gestures (Overcoming common problems) many years ago and found it fascinating, but Joe Navarro looks at non-verbals communication in a much wider context. The book doesn't just cover body language, but covers the wider issues of how organisations interact with the customers - everything from how your office is designed to the way your website performs.

The approach to analysing non-verbal communication is vastly simplified from others that I have seen. This approach is much easier to put into practice since it makes reading the signals much easier in real time. If you are new to the subject, this book would be a good starting point.

I particularly liked the last chapter where Joe provides example interactions from everyday situations. I would have liked to have seen this section expanded. They might just be anecdotes, but they put the material in the book into context and brings the material to life.

Great reading and very useful material. Highly recommended.
on 11 May 2010
Non-verbal communication in general and body language in particular are a topic about which a lot of material has been published. What differentiates Joe Navarro's books "What every body says" and "Louder than words" from other titles is his clear, comprehensive and entertaining style of imparting his amazing expertise. Compared with other sources, Navarro deals with the entire body, not just facial expressions or leg position.
In addition, Navarro not only lists and describes a large number of non-verbal signals, but also explains how any signal must be assessed through comparing the ordinary behaviour of the person observed with the situation at hand.
What I particularly like about this book is that it does not limit itself to body language, but also explains what hidden messages of (dis)respect we send by other non-verbals, such as when we (don't)appear at work or what clothes we choose.
Have learnt a lot, have recommended the book to a large number of people already and will continue doing so.
on 3 March 2010
Joe Navarro never lets me down - I love his books on nonverbal communication and have learnt so much from him about reading others' body language to understand their intents and feelings better. I use this stuff everyday, and this new book - Louder than Words - has to be my favorite as it focuses specifically on business. Joe talks about how to use the power of nonverbal intelligence to put you on another level in the workplace. He shows how curbside appeal can ruin the impression your clients may have of you or your business in the blink of an eye. I also found his concept of "movement to action" thought-provoking - how simple acts can make such a difference. He even talks about what men and women should or shouldn't wear in the office if they want to be taken seriously. Louder than Words is full of practical, constructive tips, and the illustrations throughout help by showing the behavior being discussed. If you're in business - or even if you're not - this book should become your constant companion. It's also a must-read for anyone looking for a job.
I enjoyed read Joe's other book "What Every Body is Saying" (highly recommend!) which was an interesting read a fantastic primer on non verbal communication. Louder than words builds upon his previous work and as a standalone book works extremely well as a primer on non verbal intelligence in the business world.

I've read ( and not finished) other body language books, which tend to bog down the reader with facts and figures that leave you confused as to what you should be observing. Joe's writing style is easy to read, so much so that I managed to read it in one sitting. He's always informative, relays facts in memorable ways and uses his real life and real world examples to get his points across.

This book should be in your required reading list toolkit. It contains valuable information and salient points that you probably know but fail to reinforce. You will end up taking something away that will help you in your day to day interactions with others in your business and personal life.
on 21 October 2010
One of the few books that really does concentrate on the topic in hand.
Great examples and instruction written in a way that made me want to keep reading until the book was finished.
on 12 April 2010
Once again Joe Navarro's easy writing style conveys pearls of wisdom of how the most subtle of non-verbal signals that we are constantly transmitting are perceived by others.

The book does recap some of the material from Joe's previous book (What Every Body Is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-reading People) and then goes on to expand on them in various scenarios such as business meetings, job interviews etc. many of which are illuminated with examples garnered from Joe's own experience (e.g. his father driving past as hardware store because the windows are dirty - `If they don't take care of their windows - they're not going to take care of you').

The book has plenty of pointers on what to look for in non-verbal communication in others as well as how to enhance your own message using this hidden language.

I've got at least three things from this book that I'm emailing to my CEO about how our company can be better perceived; changes of behaviours that are small, simple and inexpensive, but which could have a huge difference - thanks Joe!
on 17 November 2014
Fantastic. everyone should read this book. I have given it to my son, a teenager. He couldn't put it down, read it over 2 days.
on 3 February 2015
After reading "What every body is saying" by the same author, decided to buy this one straight away. The first one provides you with basic meanings of non-verbals, and this one is more oriented to applying it to career and social success. Very useful and highly recommended! After having read many books on non-verbal communication, J. Navarro is definitely the best author on the subject!
on 16 July 2015
Another excellent book by Joe Navarro. I have 3. It also will take your business further. Every managerial position in businesses should read this book. I highly recommend