on 3 February 2013
'The Colour Red' is a delightful and engaging winter book for any parent or child to read. The luxuriously colourful hand-drawn pictures add to the magic of this children's book. There is an energetic tempo to the words and the rhyme folds nicely from one page to the next.

It is definite favorite to be read time and time again... You are left curiously wondering what adventures might be next for little Loss.
on 21 February 2013
Definitely! This book is really wonderful, can you imagine the delight of a child being given a book to draw their dreams in? What a joy for parents to see what their children dream about and this book tells the story of one such lucky child. There are however rules for the use of this book but you'll have to read the book to find out what they are, I rather think there will be consequences if they are ignored. Children will enjoy this book because it will stimulate their imagination and questions will be asked - parents be warned. The book is illustrated by the most delightful paintings which again will add to the experience of the story and the child will be able to relate the illustrations to the story as it is being read to them. Looking forward to the next one in the series, The Colour Blue
on 4 February 2013
The Colour Red is a wonderfully engaging tale that carries you along to a melody all of its own. In The Colour Red we first meet Loss de Plott and Loss takes us on a captivating journey to find the 'strangest man' and discover why he doesn't speak. The Colour Red is a tale that highlights the wonderful way in which children see the world differently from adults. The Colour Red and Loss de Plott help us to remember what it was like to be so innocent; so full of hope; and so accepting. An excellent, enjoyable, engaging and exquisite read. Do not miss out!
on 20 November 2014
This is the second book in the series I've read although not in the right order because The Colour Red is the first book in the series. Like The Colour Blue this is a fantasy fiction about a little girl who is visited by strange and wonderful characters. This is a Christmas Story about dreams and promises of fantastic things. Children love the story of Loss and the man with the red hat. The books are written in a rhythmic poetic tone. The Artwork is beautiful and follows the story throughout the books. A single reading to children is never enough as I've learned. The stories are welcomed by all ages, even adults with a yearning to engage the child within. "Read again" is the common request and as always because of the graphic content the pictures are just as enchanting to children as are the stories. Stephan has a talent for grasping the imagination and attention of the listeners as well as the reader. This is a collection every child should own it is timeless and memorable.
on 5 February 2013
The magic of colour really is brought to life in this gem of a book by Stephan J Myers. I bought it having read Loss De Plott which is a fable for grownups and was interested to see how Loss would be written for a child.

I have always been a big fan of illustrated children's books but I find illustrations tend to be almost formulaic. There are very few books out there that you can compare to Maurice Sendak, De Saint-Exupery or Briggs in terms of originality but The Colour Red is right up there with the best.

Ethereal illustrations, eloquent yet simple prose and you have a book which is sure to be loved by children and parents. A big 5 stars from me and looking forward to The Colour Blue. Another great cover and hoping the story is as good as this one.
on 15 July 2013
This review is from my two grandchildren - Kyran aged 10 and Talyn aged 9

Kyran: gave 5 stars because when I explained how the rating worked he said he really liked the book very much and he wanted to give it the highest score. I asked him what he liked about it and this is what he said ... The cover was great he wanted to read it straight away. He really liked the fact that it rhymed this made him want to read the whole book in one go. He liked the story about the red hat and said no one else had written like that about the colour red and he went back and read it again once Talyn had finished reading it.
Talyn also wanted to give this book 5 stars. Talyn struggles with his reading and usually doesn't like reading books (but Nanny always has him reading when he comes over to stay). He was eager to read it after Kyran (having read it over his shoulder) and had praised the book as he loved the illustrations. Talyn also read the whole book (with a little prompting) but I noticed however that he did get confused towards the end as to how they could not talk in the dream but when the boy wore the hat he could hear, but the snowmen couldn't hear him.
The truth is they were both enthralled by this very soothing story which has excellent illustrations that are eye catching and superbly drawn. I personally thought a few words were a bit hard for kids like 'doff' but that is my only criticism.
A truly enjoyable read and a book which I know the children will read and enjoy over and over again.
on 12 June 2013
I have been following Stephan on Facebook for a while as I find his illustrations magical. I was delighted when I won a copy in a Giveaway.
I read it aloud to my 2 year old daughter as soon as I opened it.

The rhyming words just flow off your tongue and you can finish the whole tale within minutes. We spent a while pointing out colours and things on the illustrations amd explained what the little girl "Loss" was doing and seeing. My little girl loved the pages with Loss praying and flying through the air with her Teddy bear best.
The illustrations complement the words perfectly. It is a magical tale which you would easily want to read a few times as the rhymes are so clever and delightful. In parts it reminded me of a song. It was so melodical.

A perfect bedtime story for snuggeling up and talking about dreams. I'm looking forward to "The Colour Blue".
on 19 February 2013
I read this book to my five year old and he immediately wanted me to read it to him again. Even after the second read he held on to the book and took his time to examine the beautiful illustrations throughout.
This is another classic from the very talented Stephan J Myers.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 22 February 2013
Review of a GoodReads giveaway copy.

Sweet rhyming story. Elements of The Snowman and The Magic Paintbrush.
Lovingly illustrated.
Short and enjoyable.
Will see what my son thinks in a couple of years time.
on 11 February 2013
'The Colour Red' is a delightful book for parent and child to share together. Nice rhymes and wonderful drawings mean you can really engage your child in the magical storyline. We can all have a book of dreams if we want too!