There are many reasons to love The Lord of the Rings
, but if your favourite parts were the epic sized battles, then this should be the game for you. You’re able to play as almost any character, good or evil, and take part in giant online battles.
| The fell beasts of the nazgul are one of the most powerful mounts |
| Take part in the defence of Minas Tirith… or the attack |
| Almost every creature from the books and movies are featured |
| Oliphaunts are the biggest creatures you can face in the game |
The game recreates a wide range of scenes from both the films and the books, including Gandalf’s fight against the Balrog in the Mines of Moria and the Battle of Isengard, where you can play as a tree-like Ent. There are two separate campaigns, for the forces of good and evil, with the latter allowing you to rid oliphaunts in the attack on Minas Trith or to fight as trolls at Helm’s Deep.
Online up to sixteen people can fight in the one battle, across a multitude of different competitive and co-operative game modes. If you can’t play online though up to four people can still fight it out in the splitscreen mode.
About the developer: Pandemic Studios
- Battlefront redux – Developed by Pandemic Studios, the creators of the Star Wars: Battlefront series, this is very much the same idea but set in J.R.R. Tolkien’s fantasy world.
- From the source – The game’s graphics have been created with help directly from movie special effects team Weta Digital, including elements not used in the final cuts.
- Schools out – The game features five different classes of character, including warrior, archer, scout, mage and guardian.
- Star studded – More than 60 different characters are planned for the final game, including everyone from Aragon and Gandalf to the Uruk-hai Lurtz and even Sauron himself.
- Lonely planet – Almost every location form the films and books is featured in the game, from the Black Gate and The Shire to Rivendell and Shelob’s Lair.
One of the biggest developers in the U.S., especially after merging with BioWare and then being bought by EA, Pandemic has worked on many different styles of games, from Battle Zone on the PC to Full Spectrum Warrior, Star Wars: Battlefront, Mercenaries and Destroy all Humans!
In this exciting, action strategy game, players fight on the side of both Good and Evil in all the biggest battles from 'The Lord of the Rings' movies. The Battlefront format allows them to switch between characters at will, to suit the circumstance or their style, reliving - and even reinventing - the chaotic and engrossing conflicts from the films as they choose how best to tackle their objectives and defeat their enemies. In online multiplayer, gamers can choose to be Evil from the outset.
- Play as Evil characters in a brand new, 'Evil' campaign. Battle through scenarios after Frodo failed to destroy the One Ring - it's good to be bad!
- Acclaimed Battlefront gameplay in a fantasy setting allows players to choose the way they fight, as Warrior, Archer, Mage or Scout in melee and ranged combat.
- Battle online, with up to 16 players in instant action mode or 2 players in a co-op campaign or offline with 2-4 players in split-screen.
- Local multiplayer split-screen with up to 4 players competitively or 2-player co-op.
- A massive cast of characters and weapons adds great depth to the gameplay: Heroes, Wargs, Ents, Oliphaunts, Cave-trolls, the Balrog, Nazgul, ballistae, and more!