on 26 November 2012
I first read this book when I was 11 years old and had borrowed it from the local library. I had already read the earlier Midshipman Hornblower and others by C.S. Forrester and devoured this tale by a master of the art of the history of the navy in the Napoleonic wars. My re-read this time brought the characters to life with nuances that I was too young to understand before. I can recommend the whole 'Hornblower' series to students of all ages who wish to read books that are difficult to put down.
on 30 September 2012
I very much wanted to read these stories is sequence and had great difficulty working out in which order they came so I have added the list here.

I have now read them all and thoroughly enjoyed each one.

I started with 'The young Hornblower Omnibus', this contains 'Mr Midshipman Hornblower' 'Lieutenant Hornblower' and 'Hornblower and the Hotspur'.

'Captain Hornblower' follows on and again has three stories in sequence - 'Hornblower and the Antropos', The Happy return' and 'A Ship of the line'.

'Flying Colours' is next and is one book followed in order by 'The Commodore' and 'Lord Hornblower'.

'Hornblower in the West Indies' is next and again is a collection of stories which fit so well together that they read like one book.

The last is 'Hornblower and the Crisis and consists of three stories, each one highly entertaining, and ending in a rather satisfacory way. The first entitled 'The Crisis' is actually unfinished as the author died while writing it but there is enough to enable the reader to see where it was going.

The whole series is a joy from beginning to end.
on 24 January 2013
realistic and historically quality. Adventure, romance, affairs, sex. This is a great series of books and I would recommend anyone to read them.
on 28 February 2013
The series is coming to a conclusion as the Napoleonic war comes to an end but Hornblower has more to do.
I will need to buy the final books to remind myself of how it all ends though I seem to remember that the end is not quite as expected!
on 15 August 2013
My Kindle was a present to me from my wife, and Lord Hornblower was my first purchase from Amazon........

However she passed away unexpectedly shortly after,,,,,,so both items are very close to me
on 5 February 2013
Although lacking much of the expected naval action, this is a good read with the more mature aspects of Hornblowers character being allowed to flourish. A thoroughly good read.
on 13 November 2014
C.S Forster is an excellent writter and historian. His book are well detailed and exciting. I love reading Hornblower and will be very sorry when I have finished the series.
on 10 August 2013
Compelling....couldn't put it down. The perfect man shown to be vulnerable too. Thought a bit more could have been made towards the demise of Mr Bush. Excellent read.
on 20 June 2013
Hornblower is one on my father's favourite characters and he enjoys reading these books. Being able to get them on Kindle means he can all the books in one place.
on 18 June 2013
A much loved classic. Can read over and over again.Written to inspire in a time when we needed inspiration to go on fighting yet another European directive!