on 30 December 2007
There is a character in The League of Gentlemen called Les McQueen, a clapped-out glam rocker forever trapped in the seventies like an insect in amber. Well, why not? To those of us of a (cough!) certain age, the seventies were a magical decade - just look at how everyone lapped up Life on Mars!

And few things bring back the seventies more vividly than this wonderful collection from Look-In magazine. Yes, it was 'the junior TV Times', but that doesn't really do it justice: it was quite simply the decade in magazine form. The editors have been deliberately playful with their choices of material, picking things that have endured and things that obviously haven't (Our Kid, Flintlock). But it's all there: the music; the fashions; the telly. The comic strips are actually pretty compelling, too: I particularly liked The Bionic Woman and The Adventures of Black Beauty.

Cracking stuff!
on 28 November 2007
The classic weekly read compressed into hardback form for a new generation; where else would you find those ITV region logos? A cracking stocking filler with a Proustian rush on every page.
on 16 December 2009
Look-In, or the 'Junior TV Times' as it was dubbed when it first began it's career was a wonderful children's magazine, looking at the televisual output of ITV in (mainly) the 70s. It limped on through the 80s, and even into the 90s, but it is best remembered for riding the zeitgeist of the 70s, with iconic painted covers of the hip and fashionable of the time - TV programmes and pop culture of the day.

This tome includes articles and strips from 1971 to 1979, thus covering such luminaries as Catweazle, Timeslip, Ace of Wands, Magpie, The Bionic Man, Man about the House, The Bay City Rollers, ABBA, Dick Turpin, Worzel Gummidge, Sapphire and Steel etc. I remember some of the covers so very clearly, which is odd, as I haven't seen them in decades! As other reviewers have suggested, if a nice slice of deep fried nostalgia is your thing, and you grew up in flares on a chopper bike with a sherbert dip in your hand, then this book is for you; you'll love it.
on 11 September 2007
A fantastic compilation, brilliantly edited. A must for any 30 and 40 something wanting to take a trip down memory lane.
on 16 December 2011
I remember Look-in as a kid. Never bought it as I suppose I felt it was never my programmes. I bought this book last year as a present for a friend, but liked it so much I kept it. I have since the advent of video and particularly DVD become a fan of most of these series and, if you like, it squares the circle.

It is a large format (slightly larger than A4) sturdy hardback, with comic strips and articles. It also features adds from the time too. Whilst predominantly an ITV related publication I was pleased, for example, to see and example of an add for the Doctor Who Weetabix promotion.

This is the 'best of the 1970s'; as Look-in ran from 1971 to 1994, this is approximately 40% of its span. I don't usually like compendiums and the best of, because I want the whole thing, but I guess, every issue of Look-in is now an impracticality and a 'best of' is a sensible way to sample some tie-in TV nostalgia.
VINE VOICEon 26 August 2008
I'm quite heavily into nostalgia at the moment.

LOOK-IN: THE BEST OF THE SEVENTIES is a lovely reminder of a time when children's tv (and children's culture in general) wasn't obsessed with or dicated by the phenomenon of the Short Attention Span. The programmes were just there and were all the more special because you only got to see them once - or maybe twice, if they were repeated. THE TOMORROW PEOPLE and SPACE 1999, in particular, were personal highlights but there were many others as you'll discover all over again.

A mirror to its elder sibling (peak-time ITV), some really quite awful stuff was commissioned in the name of the young throughout the decade that taste forgot (see final paragraph) but, for all that, much of it remains memorable. Why? Well, it may not have seemed like it at the time, but there was a reassuring discipline to children's viewing habits then which doesn't exist now. And I, for one, am glad there was.

In complete contrast to virtually the entire spectrum of its dismal output today, ITV in the early to mid-70's really had the upper hand over the BBC when it came to classic family-oriented television - the good stuff was good indeed. ACE OF WANDS, FOLLYFOOT, MAGPIE, HOW, TIMESLIP, MARC, ROBERT'S ROBOTS, ARTHUR OF THE BRITONS, CATWEAZLE, UFO...without realising it, we were very lucky. And so to this book...

Articles, interviews and comic strips are all perfectly reproduced, as are many of the classic covers - bright, cheerful and exciting and responsible for attracting me and thousands of other children to regularly part with our limited funds. Maybe at the expense of a pack of Spangles or Treats (Minstrels), or a couple of Totem Poles or a Zoom, it was always worth it though. Known as the 'Junior TV Times', LOOK-IN (along with COUNTDOWN and TV ACTION) was an essential part of this boy's boyhood and may explain many things - especially to my wife. Having said that, for those few wonderful years between 1971 and 1976, I wouldn't have done without it.

You could argue that it's precisely BECAUSE we've moved on technology-wise that the archive material celebrated here is now easily researchable online and need gather dust no longer. Fine. And scary too (did I mention PAULINE'S QUIRKES or 'pop sensations' THE ARROWS?). Whatever the case, take a good look back through these pages first - if you're in your early to mid-forties, LOOK-IN: THE BEST OF THE SEVENTIES, will evoke many happy childhood memories and, for that reason alone, it comes-

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
44 comments|5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 June 2013
When I grew up in the 70's this was the only thing I used to read every week without fail. I thoutht the layout and the comic stips were just as I remember them and still entertaining today and I have now strated to watch my dvd boxsets of Space 1999 and Six MIllion Dollar Man again, I recommend this to anyone who like me want to go back to your childhood and remember the great decade as it was.
on 24 July 2014
Nostalgia overload! I bought Look-In every week for years when I was a young teen, and this excellent selection brought it all back. There are even some adverts in here that I remember ;)
on 20 September 2013
Whilst I enjoyed this, it wasn't quite the trip down memory lane I was hoping for. Not enough music features and "Oh I remember this" moments, just alot of comic strips
on 29 March 2013
I used to get the look-in mag when I was a child and loved it so it was nice to take a trip down memory lane