Format: PaperbackChange

on 13 April 2003
This dictionary can make life a lot easier for any university student studying linguistics or (foreign) language pedagogy! In a clear pedagogical way it explains as good as every term you might come across in those fields, from more general linguistic terms such as "direct object" and "phoneme", sociolinguistic and pragmatic terms like "politeness" and "gambit", terms used in language pedagogy, for instance, "explicit learning" and "episodic memory" as well as statistical terms like "standard deviation" and "statistical significance". Especially impressive is the way it explains all terms you might encounter when reading empirical studies, terms that you obviously also need if you want to do your own empirical study for a paper or a thesis. It has been a great help to me personally. I am currently writing my M.A. thesis (within the field of foreign language pedagogy), and in this connection I have done an emperical study, which would have been much much harder for me had I not had this dictionary.
on 2 August 2009
I'm doing postgraduate study in TESOL, and this little book never makes it back into my bookshelf, I refer to it frequently to check specific terms. Definitions and cross-referencing are clear and concise. I'm really glad I own it.
on 17 February 2013
This book was in my DELTA list of resources. Initially I bought the A-Z of ELT. Being intensely unhappy and disappointed at Thornbury's mini-dictionary I decided to spend the money and buy the Longman Dictionary of LT & AL in the end. This was money well spent. I use the Longman dictionary all the time whereas Thornbury's attempt at a dictionary ended up sitting on my bookshelf collecting dust!
on 11 April 2011
The other reviewers say it all. A good resource and written in easy to understand definitions. I used it for a teacher training class and was never disappointed.
on 7 November 2012
Very helpful for the Diploma in English Language Teaching for Adults! Unfortunately I can't take it into the exam with me!
on 21 November 2013
It makes learning easier for me and it's not heavy i can carry it to anywhere i want to go.
on 20 January 2015
Excellent. Very helpful if studying Trinity DipTesol or Cambridge DELTA.
on 1 February 2015
Anything and everything you need to know!
on 8 December 2014