on 22 November 2013
This series and this book encompasses a problem that I see far to often in urban fiction nowadays. They introduce amazing worlds and characters in their first books and then as they try to flesh them out in the following books it just fails to encompass the same magic. That is not to say that this is a bad book, its not, its just that this book and this series could of been so much more.
It did enjoy the progression in the relationship between Xandra and Vex. I had thought that the relationship was a bit flat in the second book, but it felt more like an even partnership in this book, even though Xandra had arguably more power due to her being a queen. I also enjoyed Xandra and queen Victoria's interactions. They were full of tension and humor.
My problem was that the enemies in this and the last book were rather cliched and were obvious in this book almost from the outset. One of the enemies in this novel seems so ridicules that I almost feel that the author added them because she felt that Xandra had become to physically powerful, and as such there was no one who could oppose her, resulting in this stupidly overpowered creature being added. Also the great threat of humanity is not resolved in a satisfactory way in my opinion.
As I said this is not a bad book, I was just disappointed because it could of been so much more.
on 29 January 2014
Xandy's back! With some more action packed adventure. The Prince of Wales has returned to England. Juliet, Alexandra's mother has become public and an unstoppable abomination has been released into the city. Nobody is trustworthy. Betrayal awaits around every corner. And how on earth will the aristo's finally create peace throughout all races..?

Niamh Crosbie
I have really enjoyed the Immortal Empire series and am actually quite sad to see it come to an end but I would rather Kate Locke ended things on a high note and that's exactly what she has done with Long Live the Queen. As much as I'm hoping she'll change her mind and continue to explore this world and it's fantastic characters I'm happy that she has tied up all the loose ends and given readers a satisfactory ending. Do I think there is room for a spin off series? Absolutely yes, but I won't be upset if there isn't.

Xandra has come a long way since the first book, not only has she accepted her goblin heritage she is now proud of it and she has really come to care for the goblins who fall under her rule. She never wanted to be a queen but she is determined to be the very best one possible and she will do anything in her power to prevent her goblins being taken advantage of by the rest of the supernatural population. The goblins are a powerful force to be reckoned with and even Queen Victoria has come to realise that she will have to work with Xandra if she wants to prevent a war between the humans and the supernatural races. The alliance between the goblins and the werewolves is a natural one considering Xandra's relationship with Vex but they are all much more wary of the vampires and Victoria. Especially when it is clear that someone high up in the vampire hierarchy is behind the missing halfies and the gruesome experiments that are being carried out on them.

There is a lot going on in this book as Kate Locke ties up the various outstanding plots from the series. We finally get to uncover who is behind the experiments but we also see some very interesting and unexpected results from the time Xandra spent in captivity. Xandra is betrayed by people she should be able to trust but she also makes some unexpected allies that are sure to change everything. We get to see her spending time with her siblings which I've always enjoyed and we also see some progression in her relationship with Vex. I've said it before but I'll say it again - I love them together! Most of all I love the fact that Vex sees Xandra as an equal, he may be a powerful alpha and his instincts tell him to protect her but he would never try to stop her fighting for her people, he just stands up and fights right alongside her.

I don't want to say too much more but I'm sure anyone who has enjoyed the previous books will love this final instalment. I am sad it's come to an end but I will definitely be keeping an eye out for more from Kate Locke in the future and she's already on my auto-buy list!
on 6 December 2013
Kate Locke has a fan for life her kick arse goblin character had me hooked her handsome werewolf a plague of goblin followers her twist on queen Victoria her high bred vampires her book is original and very entertaining
I'm a huge fan of this series as I love the way that Kate brings Urban Fantasy and Victoriana together especially with the wonderful mix of the supernatural races and their clear definitions. It works wonderfully well, is like a good coffee (dark and rich) whilst also bringing a great cast of characters to the fore, so much so that you really can't put the book down once you've begun.

Back that up with a solid story arc, some great sleight of hand as well as a kickass heroine and all round I was a more than happy reader. Great stuff and long may the Queen reign.
on 23 April 2015
Love it! Fast moving, action packed with romance and a steampunk twist. Wouldn't recommend it for under 13s though, deffinitely a young adult or adult book.
on 19 December 2013
I couldn't wait to read this and i wasn't disappointed, it was brilliant. Highly recommend to anyone that loves steampunk and fantasy.
on 31 January 2014
Loved this series, full of humour and well rounded characters it creates a world you can believe in. I recommend all three books
on 2 July 2015
I loved the whole series hope there is more to come
on 1 February 2015
Brilliantly anarchic. A heroine to aspire to.