on 7 February 2006
I bought this book as it was supposedly a handy pocket guide, with maps. It wasn't, I spent alot of time cross referencing things with another guide book to locate them. I also wasted hours of my life going to find recommended restaraunts 3 out of 5 I looked for were closed,and not just out of season closed, out of business closed. And this book is only just a year old!
And nowhere does it mention you can't smoke in any bars, restaraunts, cafe's etc! Good job I had "Lets Go Italy" with me or Id of been very hungry aswell as tired.
on 22 August 2009
A good little book, but the maps certainly aren't detailed enough. Out of the five restaurants we searched for during our stay, we managed to find just the one - which I found very frustrating. It could also do with a few more pictures of the sights. Apart from that the guide was quite good!
on 24 August 2012
I ordered Venice book which is small and compact and full of useful information and map (so I don't get lost).
on 28 November 2012
I own more than 30 LP guides. They have never let me down. Including city guides.

This one is another story. It lacks basic information (like opening times for things to see, or that booking is required for some visits).
The pullout map is ok, the size is nice for fitting in a pocket.
The recommendations for restaurants is ok, this guide led us to a fantastic place (on the high side cost-wise, but excellent).

I think this is more a guide for the casual visitor who is not really interested in anything more than being on the spot. If you plan to visit architectural wonders, get another guide !

This is the first time that LP disappoints me.
on 16 January 2009
An average publication of limited use. Much of it's content could be found in most good quality travel guides. For under £2 it is 'OK' although I would not want to pay any more for it.
on 3 April 2009
Great little book packed with lots of good tourist and eating information. Shame about the errors in the Alilaguna data on airport transfers.
on 7 April 2013
Up to the usual high standard of Lonely Planet. This is the 2nd edition published Nov 2010 so in 2013 some info maybe out of date but still a useful pocket guide and has a good map including water transport. I would study "Venice & The Veneto Guide" at home then take this one with me.
on 6 December 2009
I'm a fan of the 'encounter' series (I also have Paris and London) due to their small size, 'highlights' approach and decent maps (both neighbourhood/precinct maps throughout and larger pull-out map in the back), so I knew what to expect with this Venice guide.

For the price it represents good value, giving you some good information on key sights and a bunch of recommendations. The maps were useful for finding our accommodation, but we didn't use them much else - don't really need to in Venice, you'll eventually find your way to where you want to go and getting a bit lost is part of the fun right?

This guide was published in early 2009 I think, so we found the information on prices/opening hours and what-not accurate, which was great.

We were in Venice with my parents on their first trip there, so they got more out of it I think as it tends to focus on the 'big-ticket' items. So I would mainly recommend this for first-time visitors.
on 23 August 2015
A fantastic book for a fantastic city, it has everything you need including a handy map!
on 24 February 2009
Pocket size and easy to carry around. Took it on a trip to Rome and found that it contained all the essentials. Great for first timers !!