on 13 April 2015
This book consists of a lot of very useful information. But it is too big to carry around, so we unfortunately did not use it. I would rather look for a smaller book with the most essential stuff next time.
on 4 January 2016
Anyone backpacking in Thailand should invest in this book. It was so handy having a physical guide with maps to be able to show the locals what you mean. The recommendations in the book about where to stay/eat/do were spot on and up-to-date.
on 10 May 2016
I bought this book last year for travelling Thailand and it was utterly invaluable. We found so many hidden gems using this guide and really got to know where to go and what to do in every region we visited. At times it was a little vague but then again, they have put so much information about a hole country into one book, so that is forgivable.

I will be visiting new Zealand this year and I am definitely going to get the NZ edition of lonely planet. Good work guys.
on 21 July 2016
Great informative - as you'd expect with Lonely Planet - currently being used on my tour of Far East and am finding it really useful - have bought several others and know that to have this guideline in my hand as i travel is really helpful.
on 9 October 2014
With so many books about Thailand to choose from, I selected this as a back up as a second book, assuming it would only cover the basic cheapest hotels/boarding house accommodation etc, but was wrong, it gives good cover of all.
Only one complaint, like most other guides the print is to small, especially when trying to read when visiting places out in the open, but that's life
on 31 May 2016
I used this book recently when I arrived to Thailand and it was so informative- It includes a pull out map of Bangkok which is really helpful as Bangkok can be a minefield and you don't necessary want to advertise you phone in all the places. It had really good tips such as bars and restaurants which was really helpful and definitely saved us a few times! Also it goes through the best excursions to do and best sites to see which is great as Thailand has so many different things to offer! Good size as well so easy to take out in a day bag as its a good referral throughout the day. Would really recommend this to anyone who doesn't been to Thailand before- Gives great insider hints and tips
on 29 January 2016
Brilliant book. I have been planning my trip to thailand for a while now and this has been the most useful thing I have looked at so far! It has plenty of information regarding the best places to see, sleep, eat, be entertained and ever pass the time! For this reason, for anyone taking a prolonged back packing style trip to Thailand, I would highly recommend!

However, the only downside to this book is probably the size. With the amount of information stuffed in one book comes a fairly hefty size book. Which, subsequently, will add a fair wait to the luggage that I am already going to be carrying around with me in Thailand.
This 800-page book - the 15th edition of July 2014 - is an interesting and readable guide to the Indochinese Kingdom of Thailand. This is a well-designed and presented guide, with useful maps. This is not a glossy guide with lots of colour pictures, but it is a well-designed and laid out guide, with colour used only sparingly. It is intended to be a meaningful guide to things to see and do, and not just a list of things to see and do.

It is broken down into four major sections:

Page 6 - Plan Your Trip:
This section is an introduction to Thailand, telling you what to look out for (Thailand’s Top 20), what you need to know in advance, lots of touristy stuff, etc.

Page 53 - On The Road (“The Guide”):
P054: Bangkok and around (with a fold-out map of the city inside the back-cover)
P151: Central Thailand (8 entries)
P188: Ko Chang & Eastern Seaboard (11)
P230: Chiang Mai Province (12
P291: Northern Thailand (29
P407: Northeastern Thailand (27
P493: Hua Hin & the Upper Gulf (10)
P526: Ko Samui & the Lower Gulf (13)
P597: Phuket & the Andaman Coast (46)

Page 687 - Understand (local culture):
This section contains articles on history, people & culture, food & drink, environment & wildlife, arts, the sex industry, etc.

Page 747 - Survival Guide:
A-Z Directory, transport, language, index, etc.
on 14 January 2016
We took this to Thailand with us and it was very good for all the main attractions, restaurants, hotels and the pull out map for Bangkok was excellent and I used that the whole time we were in Bangkok. It was much better than any other map we were given. It was a little heavy to carry around everyday but was comprehensive so that was more important to us. This didn't bother us or effect our trip at all but be warned that this book will not help you if you want to try Bangkok or Thailand's ladyboy or x-rated scene e.g. ping pong shows as it puts a bit of a black cloud over that type of experience branding it as "seedy".
on 21 April 2016
Book provided a lot of useful information and was used regularly during our holiday in Thailand. What I would like to have seen moe of was more detailed background information on some of the more major temple sites in places like Bangkok and Chiang Mai as the venues themselves had little or no commentaries in English and so we were in the dark on the history to a site or its background and significance of the varying artefacts at each site.