on 15 August 2014
This is a good little pocket guide for Dubai and includes some information on Abu Dhabi also. Most of the essential information on hotels restaurants and attractions is included. Photos are disappointing on the black and white Kindle and the guide is better used on smart phones and ipads (Kindle apps). Hyperlinks are included and links to Google maps also - these will not work on a Kindle. The included maps are rather too small to be useful but again on a smart phone of pad one can zoom in on them making them rather more functional. On a smart phone it truly is a "pocket" guide.
on 16 November 2013
Just got back from Dubai. I must admit, without the book, we would've been quite bored and would've spent a lot more money. It was very accurate, saved us some money and helped give us a good bearing on what to do, where and when. The only reason I didn't give this a 5 star rating is because it would've been even better if the maps could've been a bit more detailed. At least then we wouldn't have attempted to walk to places that look soo close on the map when in fact, you needed a car.
on 17 August 2013
I bought this book for a first time holiday to Dubai. I found it very useful, just the right size to carry around. I found the maps very helpful and used the little,book all the time on holiday. I can recommend it.
on 15 November 2014
Compared to full sized Lonely Planet guides, this pocket guide is stripped of all the interesting added-value information about customs, history, and culture, and is more like reading Time Out - a What's On of shops, entertainment and restaurants. Any contextual information about what makes the UAE unique is squished into tiny boxes with titles like 'Understand' and 'Local Life'. You don't even get a potted history of Dubai. It won't leave you much wiser about the country - it'll fool you into thinking there's barely any cultural context you should know.

The maps lack detail and are poorly scaled - I chose a hotel which looked like it was within walking distance of the city centre but turned out to be on a desert motorway.

However the book is useful if you have no concept of how Dubai fits together, and want a simple overview of the city's different areas whilst planning your trip. Once you're in Dubai it's useful to have the maps for planning the day's major sightseeing locations, though not for using as walking maps. Plus the book is very small and light for carrying around.
on 19 May 2013
I always travel for just few days to different cities and I absolutely love those small pocket size guides from Lonely Planet. Just perfect with details and pictures. I have already 4 of them from all the different cities and I will definitively buy another when planning to go to discover new city. Definitely recommend, quick read, small and includes map of the city center.
on 7 September 2013
Going for a week over christmas,so cannot rate its performance out in dubai,but read cover to cover ticking my to do list on top of my own wish list.that and google earth give me all i need to navigate out there,if only the dubai embassy would respond to my letters and emails so i could sought out my medication for my travel ins,life is never simple.
on 27 March 2014
planning a trip to Dubai, this helped us pick out some keys points we'd like to do when we get there. So instead of mooning around for a few days seeing whats on offer, we can hit the road running. Good size. Love lonely planet really helped other trips we've done.
on 11 January 2013
The Dubai Guides , small and easy to carry around , but too small to see for map area. info is also good
on 12 August 2013
The guide is practical and objective, easy to see and has everything that is essential in a pocket guide.
What I liked most: the suggested itineraries for each dia.What I liked least: for now, nothing
on 13 November 2013
Bought this as a birthday gift for a friend who is visiting Dubai in Feb. She was delighted with book and has read it through twice.
Good value for money pocket size excellent.