on 20 July 2012
This book made our 1st ever visit to the Lake District perfect, with fantastic suggestions on places to visit and quaint cafe's and restaurants to eat in, we travelled the whole area on the say so of this brilliant guide and were not dissapointed once, a must have addition to your Lake District Holiday.
on 28 June 2013
Got this book as we are holidaying in the lakes this year and wanted to set up an itenary as to where to visit. This book gives you so much detail it is a great asset.
on 12 July 2015
The phrases 'Lonely Planet' and 'Lake District' can seem like an oxymoron, as anyone who has crawled along the cluttered roads out of Windermere and Ambleside can attest. But this guide presents both sides of the Lake District. Yes, you will find the clichéd world of Wordswoth's daffodils and Potter's picture books. Search deeper, and you'll also find the other side of the Lake District - of Wainwright's fells and isolated tarns, of copper mines and slate quarries, of mountain tracks that seem light years from the A6. If you're looking for a brief guide that shows both sides of the Lake District, this is one for you.
on 20 June 2012
After booking a stay in the Lake District which is almost 300 miles from home - I soon realised I needed a LOT of help planning what we are going to do there.
I bought this after reading the reviews and having subsequently used it to plan our entire trip - I recommend this book fully. The book is well laid out and I found lots of things to do just glancing through based on areas we were staying at or passing through. The biggest flaw with this book was that it does not give you exact locations of places it recommends seeing. We had a lot planned and though the book told us roughly where these places were, and provided a simple map with an indicator of most of the popular places - there were no postcodes, no directions. So a lot of the times were ended up on these adventures which are all fine - but frustrating when not planned for.

I recommend this book to help you plan, but you will need a proper map and some additional help with how to get to some of the places in the book.

Also - I noticed there was an older version of this book on Amazon for almost double the price - I am not sure what the difference would be, but this was good enough for me.
on 12 August 2013
Excellent information for a newcomer to the Lakes, we found all of the places we wanted to find, having reviewed them first.
on 5 August 2014
Good helpful guide. We used this for our first visit to the Lake District. All the information was accurate as were the reviews. We weren't there for the walking so I can't comment on that part of the book.
on 4 September 2015
Very nice guide! Super helpful to organise your hikes. FYI: Do never underestimate what this guide says! If it says 8h hike, IT IS 8h HIKE!
on 14 September 2014
Great book gives you everything you need to know the area and what to see.
on 15 August 2014