on 5 April 2010
The Montgomery Murder is a really exciting ,and sometimes scary, story about Alfie,a Victorian street boy and his gang who live by their wits .The scene is set in the Bloomsbury and St. Giles districts of London where many people lived in extreme poverty a bit like the street people of Calcutta today . Alfie gets caught sealing a loaf of bread and is hauled off to Bow Street police station.
This is where it starts to get exciting!Inspector Denham tells Alfie that he will forget about the stolen loaf if Alfie will use his knowlege of the neighbourhood to help the police solve the murder of a Mr Montgomery who has been garrotted.The gang befriend a young Indian boy,Mallesh, has come in on a ahip from India to find Mr Mongomery Mr Montgomery took a lage diamond that Mallesh's father found and Mallesh is looking for justice but the police think he murdered Mr Mongomery!

Sammy, Alfie's younger brother, who is blind, managed to get a job in the Montgomery household working as a knife boy in the basement. He cant see... but he can hear a pin drop! He overhears the shifty butler and another man talking about a bank. then Denis Montgomery,the murdered man's son and a Mr Scott from India discussing money.On his way home Sammy is kidnapped about what he has heard ,strangled and left for dead but Mutsy ,the gang's dog ,lead the rest of the boys to find Sammy in the nick of time to save his life. Alfie and the gang have more scary adventures following all the clues until they realise that the diamond may have been from a dimond mine that Mallesh's father found.Alfie gets back into the Montgomery house with the help of Sarah the scullery maid. They find a letter with deeds to a diamond mine in Mr Scotts room...so they know who the murderer is..and must get back to Inspector Denham to let him know bfore anyone discovers them but Mr. Scott comes back He dicovers them as they are escaping and shoots to kill!
This is a fantastic story and it really takes you back to what it was like living in Victorian England.
on 11 February 2012
This is a great start to an excellent series. Although it is written for children (which your 1 star reviewer clearly didn't notice!), it is a book than can be thoroughly enjoyed by adults when sharing it with their children. Both my son and I were drawn into the story, enjoying the historical setting, the accurate detail and the mystery equally - in fact bedtime certainly got delayed as we read more chapters each night than we'd meant to!
on 29 December 2011
I was given this book as a present for myself and my children to enjoy. I found it a fantastic short read even though it is obviously aimed at children. I am currently reading it to my 3 children aged 8, 10 and 12 and it is going down a treat. Great fun and suspense in a gritty location (London in Victorian times). My children are enjoying the different setting and language used in this book. Will definately be getting the next one.
on 22 May 2016
Fantastic book.

It talks about urchins and a murder, the urchins trying to solve it, not the murder but their missing brother, which is related to the murder...
So everything links in.

I would recommend this to children 11+, as some language is complicated, as it is set in the Victorian ages.
on 26 May 2014
I absolutely LOVED this book it had me on the edge of my seat! Such a thrilling ending and the whole time I was just completely glued to it. Definitely deserves five stars would give it six if I could!Recommend it to everyone except 7 or 8 and under because of the violence
on 2 January 2012
I have been looking for a mystery/crime books for my daughter and bought her this book for her to try. She absolutely loves it, it had her hooked from the beginning and I suppose now I will have to buy her some of the other books in the series.
on 26 September 2014
have enjoyed this murder mysteries will look for another book
on 28 February 2011
As a fan of Cora Harrison's "My Lady Judge" series on the Burren I was looking forward to reading it. Now I that I have read it I think that this book has been wrongly catergorised as adult fiction and it should be in the teenage section, it is too childish.