• Local

Local
Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£19.73

on 30 March 2009
I bought this after being impressed by the review on the web show called iFanboy. It was one of their christmas gift recommendations. In brief, its about a young woman called Megan who leaves her Portland, Oregon home to go travelling. Sometimes she plays a small part in the stories, just happens to be someplace when something happens. In others she is the main character. I was very surprised at how profound I found this book, its about so many things, human nature, human flaws, love, sex and longing. I got the impression that the stories say a lot about the authors feeling towards the locations. The cities seem vital to the story, hence the title I suppose.

The artwork is stunning, locations have been really well researched and the level of details seems almost obsessive.

This is one of the greatest books I have read, not just comics books, I mean regular novels. I enjoyed this in the same sort of way I enjoyed The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. I really felt involved in the stories in a personal way, even the most hermet like soul will empathise with Megan or some of the other players in this story.

Be aware this is not a superhero book or a book about the supernatural, its about regular people and very human experience.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 10 July 2012
I wasn't overly keen on this at first - it seemed a bit slow paced and almost incoherent. But slowly, as the story progresses, it really comes into its own. By the end, it gets to be extremely moving and saddening. Its fantastically well done, the journey of one young girl who can't seem to settle. These little captures of every year of her life for 12 or so years is done beautifully well, and there's a particular bit towards the end where it all comes back together.

Strong recommend.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again