Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Learn More Shop now Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 November 2012
I've been using an Energizer Universal Charger for the past two or three years and noticed that it was charging faster and faster and my suspicions were aroused when my mouse batteries kept dying within a couple of days. Was it the batteries, some being 3 years old, but surely not the 6 months old 7 Day Shop ones, or the expensive Uniross's?

So, not knowing what was wrong, I ordered this dinky charger as it was almost the lowest price - it wouldn't be an expensive mistake if my problems weren't down to the old charger after all.

First impressions are that it's solidly made and quite weighty. A few things that threw me, at first were, the instruction sheet (with a few spelling errors) that had only a few lines of actual instruction and loads of stupid health and safety stuff) stated that the red LED's came on when the batteries were inserted. Mine went green. Did this mean that they were fully charged? So, tried all my rechargables (over 20!) and they all lit up green. Re-reading the sheet, it then became apparent that the LED's simply go out when charge is completed. So, if your LED's aren't the colour you thought, make allowances...

Whereas that old Energizer unit was huge and with curved sides, this unit is small, being just over the width of 4 AA's side by side and plugs straight in, via the U.K. type plug - no adaptors or U.S style pins to fiddle with or worry about. One thing though, if you try and plug it into a multi-socket extension, its width won't allow you to plug another plug in either side of it. The pins being at the top of the unit should allow it to be plugged into the top part of a two-way plug, directly into the wall, but I haven't actually tried this. The unit does get noticeably warm in operation, but not hot.

Charging - not for those in a hurry - but trickle-charging (as it used to be called) should lengthen the life of both the unit and batteries, compared to quick chargers. None of my batts were fully depleted and so it's difficult to gauge but a set of Uniross AA's (2500mAh) charged only a week ago by the Energizer took about 6 hours before the LEDs went out. Most type should take less long. I have no means of testing such things and don't know how much extra topping up they required over and above what the Energizer gave.

The instruction sheet states: AA 1600mAh - 8hrs; AA 2100mAh - 11hrs; AAA 800mAh - 4hrs; PP3 9v 250mAh - 13hrs. The batteries have to be charged in equal pairs.

We all know that manufacturer's figures are usually very optimistic but would say that at least an overnight charging is required for all types and possibly longer. If like me and you don't have any 'normal' AA or AAA's any more, I would get into a routine of always having a set on charge, or at least until they're all done.
review image
11 comment| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2011
This product is very easy and reliable to use. One nice feature is when the batteries are fully charged the Leds extinguish. The product does exactly what was written on the box and is reliable. The only down side is that pp3 batteries take approx 13 hours to charge.
on 12 March 2014
I like this battery charger - I leave it on overnight to charge, and the batteries are ready in the morning. I am told that slower chargers like this prolong the life of the batteries, so am very pleased with my well priced purchase. Only thing I would say is that it's not that easy to get the batteries out, but I can live with this for the price.
on 22 January 2016
One of few chargers that passed my rigorous testing with flying colours. I bought this charger to run a very thorough test on it and I was very impressed at the build quality of this charger INSIDE and OUTSIDE. Commonly on imported electronic devices the quality of the electrical connections and soldering on the inside can be extremely poor. However when dismantling this product I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the connections were of a good standard and were very secure. All wires, resistors, LEDs and chips were secure and well insulated from undesired contact with one another.

I was also impressed by the sheer lack of heat this product emits even with 24 hours of constant charging with different capacities of batteries, as I have a collection of much more expensive battery chargers that have caused themselves damage by getting so hot and possibly could have ignited if left any longer.

To summarize this is a very good charger well worth the very low purchase price that has good build quality and is capable of charging a wide variety of batteries with little heat output making it very safe for the home. The only knock I can give this charger is that the 2 red LEDs in the top do not indicate when the batteries are fully charged and only indicate that the batteries are charging, they are constantly lit as long as the charger is in use whether the batteries are discharged or fully charged. I do recommend that you use Lloytron brand rechargeable NiMH batteries as they are also very affordable and match the quality of other well known manufacturers.

Hope this helped you, Thank You for reading
on 3 July 2012
A great little charger that doesn't cost the earth and works like a charm. Accepts all sorts of different sizes, very handy.
on 1 March 2014
Great product that provides enough space for a number of battery sizes and charges up on an electrical power point. Highly recommended. So good in fact, I bought two - one for me and another for my daughter. Plentiful supply of rechargeable batteries needed with Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse, so this charger is ideal.
on 30 June 2012
This is good value for the money. I was concerned as there is no way of knowing when the batteries are fully charged. I emailed the company and they were very helpful and sent me a chart showing charging times for the different batteries.I already have one that goes green on full charge, but it cost a lot more.
on 7 July 2012
Well, i bought this for obvious reasons and to be fair it is neat and tidy.
However, the guidlines on the box regarding charging times is way off.
AAA batteries,according to the blurb and product info on the Amazon page,should take 4 hours to charge. Now i dont know if that means 1 battery or 4, it does'nt say.
I had 4 AAA's on charge for 15 and a half hours and the LED indicator lights were still not extinguished to indicate a full charge so i gave up.
I contacted the seller to enquire as to how long they should take and he abrubtly replied with ' 24 hours '
No polite explanation, just '24 hours' and an add-on to say that this is an Amazon issue and contact them for help. Amazon did help.
The product does eventually seem to do the job but be prepared for a long-haul.
on 19 May 2013
I have lots of solar lights in my garden and was quite miffed as some of them had stopped lighting up and not just that .. I had kept four back for this year and they were brand new out of the box and did not light! I spoke to customer service desk at B & Q and they got their electrician to come and have a word with me. I didn't realise they had rechargeable batteries inside and he said,, that once I charged them, they should be fine. Which is why I bought the battery charger. It is ACE ! Did the job and now all of the lights are working just fine !
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 May 2015
This is a very neat little charger. Its quite light compared to my old 'brick' of a plugin charger that was extremely heavy and that sadly is now defunct, and when i first opened the box and felt the weight i was very surprised and wondered how good this would be .

For the price you can't go wrong. It does the job, doesn't take up too much room in the socket so is quite unobtrusive and the 'light' goes out when fully charged so you know the job is done.

Very pleased.