Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 April 2005
I bought this book just before moving to Germany. In those first few weeks it was my bible. The information is very detailled and up to date and there is loads packed in. The style is light hearted so it is a pleasure to read, but that does not mean it skimps on facts. A friend who had been in Germany for 6 years still found useful information (like the detailled instructions for registering a car). The book also provides plenty of background information; there is an highly amusing chapter on the Germans hidden toward the back. Very highly recommended.
on 10 July 2014
Excellent book - gives all the right details about how to set up a new life in Germany. I myself intend to spend a prolonged period there and so I found this book invaluable. This book is a must-have! It saves a great deal of wasted time and money by directing one to the right offices and providing them an outline of the most recent relevant legislation. Viel Glueck! :)
on 10 December 2011
This has a lot of information that anyone, including retired people looking to move to Germany, will find useful. If nothing else, it shows what the complications can be with different administration systems!
on 17 May 2008
Before moving to Germany I had to go through several beaurocratic steps and I bought this book to help me get through all that daunting stuff. This book really is a MUST for anyone planning to live or work in Germany. It covers everything from visas to opening bank accounts, from sports centres to shopping centres and everything in between! Every topic is explained in detail so there is no confusion and although this book is a few years old now, it was still very accurate (time of review 2008) and I don't think I could have survived my 6 months in Germany without this book. There were many things in this book that even people in Germany itself were not aware of and that actually goes to show how in depth and well researched this book is. Definitely recommended.
on 9 August 2007
Invaluable book for those with serious intentions of living and working abroad. Immensely useful to avoid expensive mistakes and avoiding cultural pitfalls. Superb resource with in depth knowledge without getting boring and dry.
on 27 December 2000
This books seems to be written by someone who had to live in Germany and got all possible problems one after another. After having this kind of experience myself, I could not have better explained how to manage life and work in Germany ...
I am looking forward to read the new edition for France - my next working adventure in Europe
on 28 June 2014
I bought this just before moving to Munich. It has been invaluable and saved me so much time and some embarrassment!
on 4 May 2014
This is a very useful book for anyone considering moving to Germany as I am. It's full of detail about what one has to do when living there and if you can survive the bureaucracy, then Germany is a good place to live.
on 23 August 2013
With the prospect of moving to Germany I purchased this book on the basis of the good reviews. At a glance, it is obvious this book is just not fit for purpose. I live in the UK and I want detailed advice on matters pertaining to transferring my home and my life to Germany and its many implications. I would say that much of the book's content is to be found in a travel guide for holiday makers.