on 26 June 2012
Not as overtly comedic as it's predecessor 'Smallworld', and with a considerably bigger canvas, 'Littlestar' continues the story of the fractious Reborn-in-Jesus family and their mysterious 'Uncle Anchorite' from the small asteroid (with the big gravity) Mount Ararat, as they become intimately involved in interstellar war with the 'Made' artificial lifeforms. This has more of a mil-SF/space opera feel to it rather than the picaresque satire of the first book, but I still smiled a bit, and the action moves along fast and enjoyably.
on 11 October 2013
What started as a simple little story with Small World has continued into this expanding universe of mayhem, machines and manic humour. Not the internal chuckle, but the laugh out loud sort when you visualise, from the character's unique perspective, what they are experiencing in such a ridiculous and impossible interstellar war.

I'm not going to give a synopsis of the book, suffice it to say that it was enjoyable from start to finish, developing the many characters, and following them through the many twists and turns of their experiences. More please!!
on 11 May 2012
These's books are a great read and a nice way to spend a few hours (Smallworld and Littlestar). I hope Dominic Green writes a few more along these lines.
on 27 November 2012
I did enjoy reading this book, although not as much as the first book. Sometimes I found it difficult to cope with all th switches between the characters, and felt that I needed a map to keep track of where they were.

I loved the clay, and the humour of it, and feel that I have extended my vocabulary of soil related terms.

I felt that some of the story lines were unresolved. Is there going to be another book in this series?

I will look out for other books by this author.
on 31 May 2012
I have just finished this and Small world, a brilliant read which I thoroughly enjoyed. I can't wait to read more from this author.
on 11 June 2013
Distinctly offbeat comedy sci-fi. Characters are well described and developed throughout the story with many parallels to current issues, albeit in a weird kind of way. Also the tech in the story is quite interesting as an extension of current technology. Entertaining and engaging, well recommended
The previous Smallworld shorter novel was the one that got me hooked in 1st place.
on 16 April 2014
There are some very clever ideas in this book (and its precursor Smallworld) but the plot just goes on and on without any proper resolution. Also, I regarding the characters, I found it difficult to remember who was who. Could be an enjoyable read if you are prepared to put the time in, but although I quite enjoyed Smallworld I gave up on Littlestar halfway through.
on 25 August 2014
A wonderfully inventive book that was well written, clever and very very funny. I found it a little harder to follow than the first Small World book because it flitted around between the various story lines but other than that I can't fault it. On the strength of this I have downloaded all his other kindle books.
on 23 January 2013
If you liked Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat stories, I think this hits a similar tone. There are well-observed laughs and a self-consistent universe that's populated by fairly well characterised (certainly for SF) individuals. There's some science in there and good dialogue. I really enjoyed reading it.
on 15 July 2015
Excellent , satirical , farcical , original, and funny. Actually forked out money for this next in series from free download of "Smallworld", which I virtually never do these days due to impecunious state. I didn't regret it and am now on my third book by this author ("Saucerers and gondoliers").