on 7 April 2007
I have just bought this after doing quite a bit of research for a product that was easy to configure and Mac friendly. I had it up and running in about 15 minutes with all the security I needed. It works well with my existing ancient ADSL Samsung Modem/router and I am running 3 hard wired and 2 Wi Fi computers/laptops from the set up with no problems at all. Signal is excellent and goes right to the top of the house where we have a loft conversion and steel joists for it to get through. Dropout rate has been nil. Internet speed does seem to be enhanced as well. Even the kids have noticed it without me saying anything to them. All in all an excellent buy.
on 27 September 2007
I have had this router for over 6 months now. I have had no problems with this router. No dropouts and easy setup. The best part about this router is that the firmware can be upgraded to many 3rd party variations that basically turn a £40 router in to something closer to a £300 router. I am writing this review as I have noticed some poor ratings for this router. This is down to many people not reading or understanding the description of the router. The router states DSL/cable router, not ADSL cable router. This means that it does not include a modem built in. This is where people have been going wrong. This router works great for anybody on virgin media. Must buy router.
44 comments|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 2008
I have had a Belkin wireless router for several years and unfortunately it bit the dust. I considered purchasing another Belkin unit, but I had been given a personal recommendation for this Linksys item.

I ordered it from Amazon.co.uk on Tuesday evening and it was delivered the next afternoon.

The set up of the unit was a bit odd though - the instructions state that you must run the supplied CD-ROM first, but it didn't run properly on my Vista machine. It turns out that the CD wasn't needed anyway. I managed to set up the router's wireless security details through the browser interface very easily.

The one feature this unit has over my old Belkin unit is that it has a greater range - possibly something to do with the "g" standard rather than the older "b" standard.

I would recommend this unit for those wanting an easy to use router.
on 27 August 2007
Having been through THREE Belkin routers within a year (each quickly developing a hardware fault), this router was a god-send! I've now had the Linksy router for 6 months and have had no problems. It never loses connection or crashes. The signal is nice & strong in my upstairs room (router downstairs).
I am with Telewest broadband and it all works fine. I suppose the only down-side is that it is a bit bulky compared to some on the market.
on 3 March 2008
I have had this router for quite a few months now and it has given me no grief at all

I have my main pc connected to this with a network cable and 2 additional computers (1 desktop and 1 laptop)which I have connected via wi-fi.

The downstairs pc will very occasionally lose connection but the signal does have to pass through 3 very thick walls so I cant really complain. Ironically, when I use my laptop in the same room as the downstairs desktop I never lose connection. The wi-fi adapter for the downstairs pc is the onboard wifi that came with the motherboard so there is every possibility that that is to blame

The setup was painless and I had my connection running in minutes

Like somebody mentioned earlier, if you connect to your provider via dhcp (my provider is virgin and they use this system) then there isnt any settings to really enter into the router other than selecting dhcp

I have an xbox 360 connected to this router via the wireless adapter and to date, the connection has never been dropped

I have succesfully used port forwarding to enable certain ports which was one of my requirements

I used to be on Pipex and yes, you would need to buy a seperate modem to use in conjunction with this router if you used that isp. I too made this mistake when I bought this router. For me it was not really an issue as I was having virgin installed the following week. I think people should really do their homework before they buy a router though, or if they dont, they shouldn't rate the product 1 star as a result of them being short sighted

After my experience with linksys I wont even look at netgear or belkin

To sum up,
If you have a modem with an rj45 connection and are looking for a router
If you wish to network several pc's with minimal fuss
If you want to use p2p programs
If you want wireless console online gaming
This router will give you what you need

Top marks for an excellent product
on 25 November 2008
I use this router for Virgin Media cable Broadband - it's connected to my Virgin modem and it works fine. I gave it four stars because the installation CD that comes with this router is uterly useless.
Don't bother using it - it doesn't work properly and it WILL NOT make the installation easier.

Instead just type 192.168.1.1 in the adress bar in your internet browser to access the router's settings.

Before you do this:

1. Turn the modem off.
2. Connect router to modem.
3. Connect computer to router via ethernet cable.
4. Turn the modem on and wait for the lights to stop flashing, then turn the router on, and finally the PC.
5. Acess the router settings as explained above (use admin for user/password).
6. To set up wireless select wireless tab:
a) select wireless channel if required or leave the default one
b) don't worry about SES button, leave it inactive
c) select wireless security tab and change security mode to WEP
d) enter anything in the passphrase box and click generate
e) write down the number shown in the KEY 1 box (make sure you copy it EXACTLY)
f) done! now you have secure network and you can use wireless anywhere in the house - the password is the number you wrote down in previous step...
44 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 September 2007
I am amazed that some people still mistake this correctly advertised broadband router as complete with an ADSL modem - it's doesn't. It's a router - if it had an ADSL modem in it, it would say!!
on 9 January 2008
I just got it to-day and wasnt looking forward to the instalation as I spent 3 days trying to install a Belkin via their helpline and virgin in the end I ripped it out as I couldnt see secure sites. The Linksys guys were brilliant at 1 point I thought they had gave up but it was only that I couldnt understand them - so listen carefully! I would recommend this System as it didnt look like I could install a wireless nework via my very old pc.They also made sure my new laptop worked before they ended the call - hope it lasts!
on 20 January 2010
We buy these units to install OpenWRT and enable native IPv6, which takes about 20 minutes from opening the box.

The WRT54GL supports bridging with a modem in PPPoE mode, so in the UK is suitable for bridging to some LLU ADSL2+ circuits. For PPPoA circuits one would need to configure forwarding to a gateway router. Otherwise the WAN functionality can be disabled and the unit used as a LAN switch.

Due to the length of internal wiring, the right-hand antenna
has a stronger signal than the left. However they are on RP-TNC fittings so can be replaced with high-gain units if necessary.

Neither elegant nor immensely powerful ( only supports 11B, 11G, and 100 mbps Ethernet ) but sturdy and reliable.
on 31 July 2007
So far so good! Works well in a wired as well as wireless environment! Hightly recommened!