on 13 December 2012
Firstly this is not really an 18mm lock. It is 16mm with a nice rubber sleeve to protect your bike which pads it out to 18mm.
The lock is however a really good quality, strong, secure device.
In fact before I bought the lock I thought it looked familiar.
I also own an Oxford Magnum U Lock and if this product does not come off the very same production line I will be amazed. Looking at the two side by side they are to all intents an purposes identical. Sure, the Oxford lock comes with a nice bracket to attach to your bike and three keys as opposed to 2. The Oxford lock is also Sold Secure Gold approved (motorbike and cycle). So if you need Sold Secure for your insurance, better buy the Oxford Magnum. However, if you just need the strength and security of a great lock then go ahead and buy this product - you won't regret it. OK, the key might require a little bit of jiggling at times, but this is no different to the Oxford Magnum.
on 29 September 2012
There's some minor trouble turning the key around when trying to lock and unlock it. But you get use to it and this also make's it harder for lock pickers, the key itself is a good key too. Other than that, very good quality, its a heavy lock and definitely worth the price paid for it. Rating: 9/10.
on 11 September 2014
I bought it for my daughter's bike. She used it for first time couldn't unlock it so we had to break the lock. It took about an hour to do it by three men. I don't recommend to purchase this u lock.
on 11 November 2013
No-one has stolen my bike yet so it seems to be doing it's job. Good solid lock, not much more to say!
on 12 January 2014
I'll deal with two things - first is strength/durability, second is aesthetics.

Okay, so strength. Right, I haven't had the lock for very long but the only true way to test how strong a lock is would be to pick/cut through it yourself. As I'm not about to do that, I'll just go with what I can see and feel.
As another reviewer mentioned, it's actually more like 16mm steel with 1mm of rubberised coating around the U part of the lock. Nonetheless, it still looks big and should work well simply as a deterrent, let alone if someone tries to cut through it.
It is heavy - if you intend to carry it around a lot that may bother you, but I like it. I like it because it doesn't feel flimsy - it feels solid.
The straight part of the lock is quite chunky, but from what I could see the plastic covering around it isn't too thick (a few mm), so hopefully this part is mostly metal.

Part two - looks/aesthetics. Well, it looks big and heavy - good deterrent. The yellow band is quite distinctive and is where the key mechanism is housed - although the pictures don't show it the yellow plastic band is a rotating cover for the key-hole to prevent moisture/dirt getting in there. This is a nice feature.
Not sure if having the keyhole at the bottom is convenient, but the lock is quite large (part of why I bought it), so shouldn't be an issue moving it round a bit to unlock it.
Other than that, there's not much to say - it looks like most other locks, with a big chunky bar at the bottom. Once again, you may not like this, but it's fine for me.

As a note, the keys are good - they look a little like car keys rather than padlock ones, and feel reliable, not flimsy or prone to bending I'd say. On the downside there are only two (three would have been nicer), and I'm not sure if having spares cut would be more expensive than a padlock-type key.

EDIT/UPDATE:
Had this product for a couple of months now. Never had any problems with it nor has the bike been stolen.
I'll just mention that the keys can sometimes stick a little in the lock and it'll require a few seconds for me to unlock the lock, but it's never jammed or stuck so badly that more than maybe 10 - 20 seconds of attempts wouldn't get the key to turn fully.
Also, as the lock is made of steel, and there's a slight gap at the bit where the parts (the U and the bar) go together, a little water has got onto the exposed steel end of the U and caused a small amount of discolouring. This isn't a bit issue but something just to make note of and deal with if it happens to you.
Still believe this is a very good product at a good price.
on 9 November 2014
It does look solid, but I have to give it the lowest rating as unlocking it is impossible.

I've been using this lock for 3 months now and always had to fiddle a little bit to open it. It didn't take more than 10 to 15 seconds though, so that was acceptable.

But yesterday, after working to unlock it for 5 minutes, the key ended up breaking in it. My bike is now locked outside my building, and getting someone to come down and break it open is probably going to cost more than what I paid for the bike itself.
on 18 February 2015
A little heavy compared to the average U-lock (maybe Kryptonites are lighter) but this is indeed amazing value for money. It's really sturdy and the key works just fine. No complaints at all after 6 months of use and would highly recommend it.
on 6 February 2013
hard as a rock, and heavy as well wich means that no one is going to dare still my bike. overall a very safe lock.
on 13 April 2015
Not actually used on the bike yet but it seems very sturdy and well made. Comes with 2 proper keys.
on 24 November 2014
Seems very sturdy, so far haven't had any problems.