- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 3961 KB
- Print Length: 258 pages
- Publisher: Pan (7 Mar. 2013)
- Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00BQF6RBO
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Average Customer Review: 67 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #36,465 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Life At The Limit: Triumph and Tragedy in Formula One Kindle Edition
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
But, to put a serious angle on it, the early days, up to the mid-70s especially, were dangerous times for F1. Anyone whose seen the awful footage of Tom Pryce's death, or Roger Williamson's, won't need convincing of that. But F1 was un-regulated in terms of safety and anyone who spoke out or tried to change things (step forward again, Sir Jackie) was branded a coward by many other drivers, team owners and circuit managers (and the latter of course, would have to spend money to implement any safety changes).Read more ›
In this book, he tells the story of his involvement in Formula One racing. He covers the years from 1978 to 1994 with a few notes about the following year. The book treads a path between autobiography and history or documentary.
My first comment about this book is that it is well written and a really enjoyable read. Of course, the author covers the many accidents which he has attended in his work. Beyond that, he writes about the personalities involved and also the process by which the current high standards of medical care have been introduced into the sport.
In that latter area, one character stands out. It is clear that without the force of Bernie Ecclestone behind them, many of the improvements to medical care would not have taken place. The two men each understand their own and the others job and they do not get in each others way and trust each other immensly.
Reading parts such as the description of the death of Gilles Villeneuve brought a tear to my eye. Other parts, such as the tale of Gerhard Berger testing the indestructability of Ayrton Senna's new carbon fibre briefcase had me laughing out loud.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Sid Watkins should have stuck to what he knew. Writing he knew not. It feels like the only reason he wrote this book, was to prve to the world that he and Senna were as thick as... Read morePublished 1 month ago by Mark V
Arrived quickly,only downside is its a little scruffy looking - was going to give it to someone as a present but il keep it
Arrived quickly only downside is that its a... Read more
Good F1 read of other aspects in a Multi -Billion IndustryPublished 4 months ago by stephen bainbridge
If you like F1 from 70's to 90's then you must read this book. I read it on my kindle and was surprised it finished at ~80%, the last 20 % had facts & figures and copies of forms... Read morePublished 4 months ago by Laserman59
The Prof changed it all and many many drivers in a lot of sports owe him their lives. If you like racing then just read it. simple as thatPublished 5 months ago by Chris
Not enough credit can be given for what Sid did for safety in the sport and attending to drivers (and marshals) in their time of needPublished 11 months ago by Mr. BERESFORD A BROOKE
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain
- Books > Biography > Sport > Formula One & Other Motor Racing
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Accident & Emergency Medicine
- Books > Humour > Sports
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Accident & Emergency Medicine
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z
- Books > Sports, Hobbies & Games > Motor Sports > Formula One
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Professional & Technical > Medicine
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Self-Help & Counselling > Self-Help
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Sport > Motor Sports