Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 10 November 2013
I loved this book and have only just got round to buying it after following Jennifer's blog The Daily Connoisseur. It's just a super read and one that will inspire and delight, I loved the insights into Famille Chic's lifestyle and home. I was sad to finish reading it this Sunday afternoon in Edinburgh.
on 18 January 2012
I received this charming little book as a Christmas gift and have since lent it to all my friends to read . It is a beautiful and accurate insight into the rarified life of a true Parisian family and their love of the good, yet simple things of life which rewards them with peaceful and gentle happiness. I would recommend this book as the perfect gift for the stylish woman who has everything - it is beautifully and sparingly written and the morale of the tale for me was that "less is definitely more".
on 10 April 2013
This book really made me think about my outlook on life and my image. As a woman of a certain age I have been struggling with how to grow old gracefully, now I have a guide to confidence in who I am and how to move forward.
I have started to sort my wardrobe and the charity shop have really benefitted. To work on what nature has given me instead of wishing to be different is refreshing. Really feel this book has made a difference.
on 10 December 2014
I was intrigued by the table of contents in the free sample and really looked forward to reading this book, but it left me a little disappointed for the price.

Most of it was sound advice, but in my humble opinion, a lot of it did not go past common sense, and a small number of the lessons went beyond practicing the real art of living and into rather frivolous territory. For example, in terms of decorating your living space, you were advised to prioritise aesthetics over comfort because it encouraged you to live more formally with better posture. (But what a pity it is if you can't fully relax in your own home!) In another lesson, the author went into great detail about her personal skincare routine which sounds torturously precise, product-laden and over-the-top.

The anecdotes are quite entertaining but I am a little incredulous that Madame Chic, elegant and well-mannered as she was, would be so uncouth as to constantly stop the writer in her tracks and tell her in a passive-aggressive way what was wrong with her clothes/taste/general sloppy American-ness. Fair dues, I'm sure some creative liberty had to be taken in the depiction of events, but I find it hard to envision such a lack of class in an elegant lady, even if she was never rude outright. (Ironic because later on there was specifically a bit on manners with an example of biting your tongue in a difficult situation!) And of course in each situation the writer felt deeply ashamed and vowed to improve her lot immediately. It got a little too Pygmalion for me.

All in all, a decent read, but for the price I think you can get better elsewhere. For tips on how to live like a French woman I recommend "Two Lipsticks and a Lover" or anything by Mirelle Guliano. As for practicing the art of living, I find that "Miss Minimalist" gives much simpler, easier advice on how to enjoy and appreciate life without all the frou frou.
on 21 November 2012
OH,this book is truly so chic.I could not put it down.Every chapter is informative and written beauterfully.It is a beauterful guide for todays woman to get insparation from simple everyday lifestyle tips.The author has put her style and tips as well as the wonderful people she had the pleasure of meeting and staying with in the wonderful city of paris.thank you jennifer[if i may be so bold] such a lovely book.
on 16 September 2014
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, the reviews were somewhat mixed, and now I've finished it I'm really pleased I went ahead and purchased it! A lot of the advice is available elsewhere and also common sense, but what I liked about this author was that she described her experiences with joy and an aliveness that can only be found in someone who is living by what she writes!

I've decided to start adapting my own lifestyle to one that Jennifer describes. Admittedly I want to start with everything right away, but she does caution the reader to take small steady steps and this is my own plan.

I particularly love the concept of the small capsule wardrobe, and have already started planning this from some of the other books I've purchased on just this topic. The slight difference I have is that I'll be making all my garments, including my lingerie, and feel excited to try new luxury fabrics for myself and now don't feel too overwhelmed by my project...I only have 10 garments to make!

I highly recommend this book to anyone wanting to simplify and start to enjoying what life has to offer...I'm also considering pre-ordering her next book too!
on 15 January 2013
This is based upon the experience of the author's stay with a family in Paris. The author is American and so the cultural gap is wider than for English readers. I love all things French, and my favourite is still Helena Frith Powell's 'Two Lipsticks and a Lover'. That said, I still enjoyed the fact the lovely combination of personal anecdotes and experiences with the general principles of the approach of Parisian women. There are lots of generic tips but I would have preferred more specifics - eg where to go to get that sparkling underwear etc. However, I am still glad that I have got it on my kindle.
on 24 October 2015
Not the best of it's type. There are some amusing anecdotes, but the topics that are covered (the usual stuff, simplify your wardrobe, wear less spots wear, de-clutter your home and broaden your cultural horizons) are only dealt with superficially and can be found better described in other, similar books.
Not a bad book, but only giving this one star as there are much better books, of this type, out there. Also, the chapter on 'Cultivating an air of mystery' is, frankly rather puerile. Chic and cultivated is one thing, affectation and pretentiousness are quite another.
on 30 December 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Lessons from Madame Chic as so many details reminded me of my childhood in France: The meals lovingly prepared by Madame Chic, the simple elegance of her home, her shopping in the little shops in her neighbourhood. I felt real nostalgia, with each page. Jennifer has a real talent for bringing to life all her memories of her time in Paris chez la famille Chic. Great read!
on 31 August 2015
Horrible! You must be utterly uneducated and lacking manners and common sense to find this book helpful in any way. Do not bother unless nobody had taught you how to behave in life. Waste of money. Nothing new and nothing inspirational.