on 4 September 2010
The teaching of PE is my Achilles heel so I was looking for a resource that would help me improve my planning and delivery of PE lessons. Now it may be that I am being obtuse, but I just could not work out how the lesson plans were supposed to hang together.

The book is set out in three sections: Gymnastics, Dance and Games. Each section has 11 to 13 lesson plans. Roughly one plan for each month of the school year. The author works on the principle that you would have one indoor session each of PE a week for Gym and Dance and one outdoor session a week for Games. Each lesson plan includes a structure and some exciting activities. Each lesson though is supposed to be developed over four or five weekly sessions; this is where I found it confusing. Although there is some guidance given about how to develop each lesson, I could not understand it. There are no learning objectives that might give you a clue as where you might be heading; instead there are aims from the National Curriculum but they are quite vague.

I wish I could understand how to use this to plan some great schemes of work. Unfortunately I can't use it other than as a source of some good activities and some great tips on good practice. I've re-read it a couple of times but always end up confused! Try before you buy. And please, if you have this book and can explain how to plan from it, get in touch. Every other reviewer of the series has given it 4 or 5 stars so maybe it's just me!
on 27 December 2014