Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Listen with Prime Shop Men's Shop Women's
Customer Discussions > Canon EF 50 mm-f/1.4 USM Lens forum

Lens for concert photography?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Aug 2012 11:29:48 BDT
S. Montague says:
Folks

I have a Canon 550D, stock lens and also a 70-300mm zoom. I often find myself taking photographs in very low light but where there is movement e.g. a pop concert, and I'm always disappointed that my pictures are grainy and not as well focussed as i would like (I was shooting with the kit lens at ISO6400 and 1/100 at the weekend and not really getting away with it).

So my question is: what lens, or sort of lens, should I be looking for to maximise the light I capture? I don't need a huge zoom, just the ability to capture a crisp image at low light.

Thanks all

Posted on 27 Aug 2012 22:01:11 BDT
Kidanime3d says:
f3.5 and up is pointless for night-time indoor photography or photography where the the lights are dynamic, you NEED speed; 2.8f minimum.

Firstly Shutter Priority mode is your best friend, high shutter speed capture everything freeze frame still, artists tend to jump around alot as you know, 1/500 is ideal or faster is ideal. 1/100 is far too slow.

Consider a 24-70mm 2.8 with around 800/1600 iso, if you need zoom or Canon EF 50 1.8f or 1.4f.

Posted on 12 Sep 2012 10:35:34 BDT
It's the ISO6400 that is making the photos grainy. What you need is to limit that! As Bakara mentioned it needs a faster lens. I have the 50mm f1.8 lens but for a concert the fixed focal length may be a problem. I use mine mainly for portrate shots and when I want a very limited depth of field i.e. background is blurred (at a larger aperture size the depth of field gets shorter).

I think I'd agree with Bakara, the 24-70mm focal range is probably in the right range for what you're looking for (as long as you're not too far away from the stage) and definately the lower ISOs. I often set my camera to ISO100 and only up that if I need more for the shutter speed/aperture size combination I'm after.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  6 Aug 2012
Latest post:  12 Sep 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about