on 8 September 2013
This is an inexpensive seven inch Android tablet from Lenovo which runs Android version 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean). It is small enough to be held easily in one hand and its battery lasts about eight hours before needing a recharge. The touch screen has a resolution of 1024x600 which will display videos in 720P HD resolution and is perfectly adequate for web browsing or reading e-books. The audio is excellent with two front mounted stereo speakers with Dolby Digital Plus so the sound quality is not muffled like other tablets with a rear speaker.
I bought this tablet to replace a laptop for travelling as it has wifi and Bluetooth connections and is sturdily built. The design is smooth and clean with just a power switch and a 3.5mm headphone socket on the top edge and a volume control on the side with a MicroSD slot which will accept cards up to 32Gb to augment the 16Gb of internal storage and 1Gb of RAM. The dual core ARM processor is able to display videos smoothly and render web pages quickly. One quirk with this model is that the storage is partitioned strangely with only 500Mb available for applications. Lenovo have recognised this and a download is now available which repartitions the storage and increases this application space to 1.5Gb. The tablet has a 0.3MP camera on the front which is fine for Skype video calls but is not really suitable for any quality photographs. A mains charger and USB lead are also included with the tablet. Overall, this is a good budget tablet that performs well given the inherent limitations of building it down to an affordable price point.
33 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 January 2014
After my kids started getting tablets I wanted to make sure I was keeping up with progress and not getting left behind (want to keep them safe online etc).

After shopping around for a cheap tablet I was tempted to go for one of the cheap unbranded imports but when I saw this I took a chance despite some of the negative reviews.

All of my feedback is really based on value for money. The tablet works well, it is fast and well made. I cannot see that anything missing versus my kids Galaxy's is worth the extra cost. The major drawbacks are as follows:

- Storage partitioning. I have more data storage than I could possibly use but the area for Apps is awful. There is a free upgrade patch that can be downloaded which makes this a little better but this is a major oversight.

- Camera - I knew that there was only one front facing camera (I was not bothered, how many cameras do I need?). However the quality and lighting of the camera is bad making even Skype difficult unless lighting is good.

- Connectivity - Connecting to laptop is possible but needs research on how to and I cannot find away to broadcast on TV. I think the lack of TV connection was part of the spec but it was not obvious to a novice like me.

On the whole I would still rate it possitively as for my uses it fits the bill and was reasonably priced.

NB I am a harsh star giver. I disagree with how many 5 star ratings are given to products on here it makes them pointless.
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I wanted to wait as long as possible to review the new Lenovo A1000 as others were reporting issues with their device.

After a month of owning this tablet, I've had no hardware or software issues with it and I'm actually fairly impressed with what you get for the price.

But let's rewind a little and look at what is in the package.

The Hardware
===========
Lenovo have obviously set out to make this as cheap as possible so that it sits right at the budget end of the tablet market. Nothing wrong with that, kids and adults who want a tablet but don't have the cash should be able to take advantage of this.

In the box you get a charger, Micro USB cable, a tiny booklet with product information and the tablet itself.

The tablet doesn't hide its budget, though, and the large, bulky surround is certainly no oil painting. It does mean, however, than larger fingers won't accidentally make their way on to the screen. The unit isn't overly heavy, though, so holding it won't break your arms after 30 minutes of Breaking Bad.

The tablet doesn't feel very rugged and the plastic back makes it more like a toy at times. There are slots for a Micro SD card and a spare slot the other side, probably for a Sim Card in later models. There are volume controls on the other side, a headphone and charging port on the top and a power button next to these.

The screen is farily clear but colours can look a little washed out when placed next to a more expensive tablet. This won't be a problem for most, though, and the movies and TV series I've tried all looked clear enough to watch. This is, however, less than HD quality and the viewing angles do get washed out at an angle.

The 1GHz dual core processor isn't the fastest by any means, but running on a sub HD panel, it doesn't need to be. The device only has 1GB RAM as well, but that's probably plenty for most users in its target audience.

The stereo speakers do make a slight difference, bringing more quality to music and films, but it's not a huge difference when compared to a Nexus 7, despite this being sold with the speakers as a selling point.

There is only a single front facing VGA camera here, unsurprising given the budget. It's fine for 'selfies' and video calls, though.

Software
=======
The device runs Android Jelly Bean and comes with Lenovo's installed screen. Thankfully, these are unobtrusive and are actually pretty useful, with a calendar, weather and access to media.

Scrolling is fast and fairly responsive and apps seem to start fairly quickly, despite the limited processing power.

Google Music is included, but playing music at full power distorts the sound slightly.

Gaming and Media
===============
Despite the low quality, I was surprised to see that this device can actually handle a lot of the top games. I've played Spider-man and other games that usually tax devices, but it was quite happy playing them all.

Compatibility was an issue at times, though Google just won't let you download something if it doesn't recognise that the tablet can play it. Other apps like Netflix worked fine and, of course, you can always add your own films and music, which makes it a good cheap media device.

Overall Impressions
================
Overall, while the device looks as cheap as the price tag and may not stand up to too much rugged testing, the Lenovo A1000 is still a solid budget tablet that can handle media and games pretty well for a small price.
on 9 February 2014
For the price, it's an excellent tablet; smart-looking and in smart packaging. The screen resolution is very clear so I don't know why some people say it isn't. The wallpaper shown on the image of the A1000 on this Amazon page is crystal. It's fast running so as long as you don't load it up with unnecessary games or go 'tap-happy' it will serve you well. And anyway once I got mine up and running Lenovo immediately wanted to upgrade the system to repartion, allowing us users of the tab more space for our own files ,not those used by the system itself. Any anyway there is the chance to use a micro SD which increases storage space yet again. The sound system is really very good. I haven't yet tried it with earphones but that would improve it all the more. It has plenty of apps already installed and Google Play is on it too. What drew me to it in the first place was that I have a Lenovo desktop and so I knew I could trust the name. There is an app near the last on the list which tells you all about how to use the Lenovo A1000 tab as well as the quick guide which comes in the box. Treat it with the respect it deserves and you'll love it like I do.
on 29 May 2014
We purchased a number of these for the kids at Christmas , they all work at the outset but after a couple of weeks you'll either get a no power up, it will vibrate but won't power up , and despite any attempt to reset it won't power up. Or it won't hold a charge, you'll get it to power up but the battery is red and it powers off, it's either an inherent defect with the power input or the on board flash memory get's corrupted and it won't boot up, there are numerous posts online about this, Lenovo's support is a joke I've tried phoning different times of the day and it just rings and rings, probably down to so many customer wanting to return defective items!
on 15 February 2014
We bought 2 of these tablets on 10.12.13. One of them 'died' mid January so we were able to send it back and got a full refund. The second tablet 'died' yesterday so it's 14 days outside the return date. My 5 year old is in pieces. We thought Lenovo was a good make and would be sturdy and robust enough for kids. When the tablets worked they were brilliant but to both break within 2 months is totally not acceptable.
on 10 December 2013
First Amazon is wrong stating that it runs 4.2... it does run Jelly Bean but its 4.1.2... the rest of the product information is correct. I bought this tablet for a child and it does its purpose wonderfully. Its reasonable fast and responsive for a tablet of this spec. It a little bit heavy compared to some others but its sturdy and has taken abuse without much damage. The forward facing camera is adequate for web use. it happily runs all her games and she is very happy watching video on it. The speakers are quite good on it for a cheap tablet. It has access to the play store and combined with a kids sandbox makes a better tablet than some of the dedicated tablets. I am disappointed it didn't have 4.2 but I can't blame Amazon for that as other sites have stated its 4.2 jelly bean as well. I received some marketing from lenovo which contained the same mistake! Word of warning.. Lenovo have stated that there will be no 4.2 update to this tablet. Otherwise this is a great wee tablet for kids and as an ereader/music/video device.
on 13 September 2014
Do not buy this. I got it for my daughters Christmas last year the first time the battery died we could not charge it it's bit worked since
on 7 August 2014
Really great tablet. Feels very solid than many other tablets on the market from that category. Screen is not the best but its ok and speakers as well on the front is a plus. The only negative is that its loosing wifi connection frequent (especially when many devices are connected to the same router) and cant find a way to fix it. It looks like a hardware problem on that model based and other reviews as well.
on 16 February 2014
Brought for my daughter for Christmas and had to return the first, but the replacement service from Amazon was excellent, and the new tablet works fine. Very small memory, so had to add external, but has enough capacity for children.