Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 May 2016
Oh dear! Read the first book for free on Kindle Unlimited, not sure why I then bought the set. I mean, it had potential, but the signs were there.

Our main character isn't so much a character as a named plot device. Her actions never feel particularly genuine or real. It is simply a case of the author deciding what is the most expedient action I can have my character make to push the plot to where I want it RIGHT now. So the story lurches around like a drunk in a bar, never settling, before it shoots off in another direction.

Her actions right at the start of the book are almost the exact opposite of what you'd expect a seven year old child to do, on two separate occasions immediately after each other. Should have been a clue. Following those actions, her thoughts about her parents, or lack thereof, should have been another. That's us barely a couple of chapters in. From time to time it seems the story is settling on a course and our heroine is acting in a coherent manner, in sync with the internal logic of her world and circumstance, then we're off again.
on 20 April 2015
This story and characters really caught me. Just read Vol 1 in a Book Bundle, am about to buy Books 1 - 4. The main character is complex and strongly written - more depth than your average heroine. And with room to change and develop which I think is the mark of a good writer. There's an interesting range of characters and I like the plot so far. Crossing my fingers the ongoing story will match this standard.
Review Part 2
Volume 2 still well written, and consistent main character - but I wonder if the plot needing to lead into a series has changed the balance, because the odds against the main character have now increased a lot. It may take several volumes to sort them, and I may have stopped reading before then.
I guess it's a difficult balance to strike between drama and suspense on one side and too little hope on the other, but well-written grimness can be quite depressing without the occasional bright spot. I'm not ready to risk Volume 3 being more of the same, yet. If I read it, I'll review it here. So draw your own conclusions if there's only space after this full stop.
on 16 December 2014
great series. really enjoyed it. I am waiting for the next nooks ion the series .
on 3 February 2016
A type of Robin Hood but with magicians. I was lucky and if your reading this so will you be that you can read the books in their entirety. It does make the story flow so much better. Thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend.
on 29 July 2015
Fantastic books. I enjoyed the three books and I am now going to buy Carol Greenwood's other ones in the series. I like the writing style of Carol and am pleased to have discovered her writings.
on 17 March 2016
Enjoyed the book, found it gripping but some times area discriptions were too long, but that could be just me I like to get to the next bit quickly. I would defiantly recommend the series.
on 7 December 2015
Excellent story - that's evolving as it goes along-- a heroine growing up-- situations developing all around her-- lots of questions to be answered-- loving it!
on 6 May 2014
It is an interesting enough read, but one reality of living as a thief gets ignored: thefts have consequences for the victims.
on 22 April 2016
Interesting book. One that will keep you entertained for a while. Can't wait to start reading the next set of books.
on 17 July 2015
Well worth a read ... the fact that she has a magic bow and refuses to use it gets a little annoying but good book.