Ignore the shallow reviews. One writes that Hitler was a Right-winger in his chauvinism and racism. Did the writer even read this book? Racism and chauvinism are leftist, as Kuehnelt-Leddihin documents.
WHAT LEDDIHN SAYS
The Leftist Mind
The drive toward identity is a mere animal herd instinct. It is uniquely human to also desire diversity. Thus men are attracted to the new and exotic. Leftists desire base identity. They fail to grasp that equality can exist without the herd. Two qaurters equal a fifty cent piece, but are not identical to it.
Men, in fact, are not equal - not even before God, the law or opportunity. Each man is individual, a fact ignored by leftist democracy, which gives one vote to the 18 year old prostitute - and one vote to the 65 year old injured veteran tax-payer.
Democracy is a form of government, but leftists mistake it for an ideology or social value. In reality, the majority can choose Facism, Marxism or any other ideology. Hermann Melville wrote: "Better to be secure under one king, than exposed to violence from twenty millions of monarchs, though oneself be one of them."
The Right is from Latin dexter; it corresponds to the Sheep at Christ's Judgement seat. The Left is "sinister", the goats, perverse distruction of individuality. Leftism is materialistic.
History of Leftism
Leftism has origins in Athenian democracy, Platonic socialism and Anabaptist communism. By contrast, the Reformers and Puritans were conservative and anti-egalitarian.
The New England Puritan colonies, U.S. Founding Fathers and original Constitution were not at all democratic.
The French Revolution was the fault of aristocrats and clergy who embraced the "Enlightenment". The materialism of Rousseau and de Sade led the way to totalitarian terror.
The democratic ideal of equality produces a desire for "secular monasticism". Early socialists were insane dreamers with utopian hopes.
This sci-fi-style socialism was followed by the cold, "scientific" theory of Marxism. Marx himself was hateful and anti-semitic.
Russian Bolshevism, like French Revolutionism, was a sadistic movement of intellectuals. Russians are characteristically anarchistic, not communal. Pre-revolutionary Russia was actually a democratic republic with reds in the Duma. The revolt was not against the Czar.
Mussolini was an ex-Marxist who stole support from the socialist parties. Italian and world Communists praised his reign.
Naziism was sadistic, leftist, socialist and anti-traditional. National Socialism and Communism were rivals, not enemies.
Real liberalism was a free market, libertarian movement. Classical liberals were suspicious of democracy.
False "liberalism" arose in the United States when statists claimed progress and old liberals were afraid to look passe. True liberals took the name libertarian. Foriegn Policy
WWI was a leftist fiasco motivated by hatred of the Hapsburg monarchy. Woodrow Wilson was a southern racist and niave idealist.
Between the World Wars, the Paris Conference oppressed Germany and Nazis rose in power. The Great Depression shook faith in capitolism, and many Americans praised the U.S.S.R. Chamberlain had no choice but to compromise with Hitler, because Britain had been disarmed. Churchill initially praised Hitler.
WWII was started when Stalin broke faith with Hitler. Leftist America praised the Soviets and pretend that plebian Hitler represented aristocracy and tradition.
Post-war agreements put socialists in power accross Europe. Allied troops helped Soviets deport Russian refugees back to the U.S.S.R. Irrational leftism, combined with decline in religion and new technology produced the concept of total war.
(Don Quixote was impractical but idealist & honorable; Sancho Panza was practical but without honor. Leftists, however, lack both realism and honor!)
Colonialism was a positive and civilizing force on world heathenism. Currently, anti-colonial "foriegn aid" retards the development of nations.
1. Leftists remain irrationally optomistic about the future.
2. The rule of illiterate masses is an evil.
3. Monarchy was stable; now foriegn policy changes with each election.
4. Men are fallen (sinful). In democracy, they prefer corrupt leaders like themselves to great men.
5. In practice, democracy is simply party-rule. Partisans attack each other, not the common social needs.
6. Democracy has been rendered obsolete by the atomic bomb, which makes the U.S. President (and others) master of earth. (A good man will not be corrupted even by absolute power.)
7. Conservatives reject ideology as leftist utopianism. However, the only alternative to a consistent world-view is rule by slogans and progress by animal trial and error. Men need a vision to guide their development.
8. Places like Russia and South America will never work as liberal democracies; new ideology is needed.
9. An attempt at a Rightist ideology was made in the Portland Declaration.
10. It takes courage to stand against irrational mobs of stupid voters.
11. The Roman Catholic Church is in disarray, invaded by Liberation theology.
12. Nice moderates are really leftists and will justify human sin as good men tricked by "conspiracies". Law needs transcendant authority (God) behind it.
13. Men like Alexis de Tocqueville predicted the totalitarian-democratic nature of the 20th century.
14. Crises loom in Russia and China. A return to monarchy would be best.
15. Democracy is inadequate to defeat leftism. New axioms and political structures are needed.
CRITICISM OF LEDDIHN
This is a watershed book, controversial because it explodes the propaganda of American public school/government "history". One may disagree with Leddihn, but his well-documented claims will not be refuted by leftist bluster.
He drops the ball in explaining the continuity of U.S. Democratic Party lefists. Slavery was replaced by the welfare state. Leftism evolved, it did not come from outside and force its way in.
As a Roman Catholic, Leddihn sees little evil in the Papal Church. He claims that it was most corrupt in the tenth century, when it had minimal political power; certainly the Borgias papacy against which Luther protested was more so.
However, Leddihn is insightful in classifying the Reformation as a reactionary movement. Luther and Calvin were Medieval Christians, not progressives. The Faith they expounded came from the ancient Bible, and is the only ideology that can trump humanism in all its forms.