on 21 May 2013
Just finished this book last night and I really enjoyed it. I have learned what it's like to live as a Mormon and the consequences of leaving it! Martha's family refuse to believe what happened to her as a child and she is effectively ignored and accused of being mentally ill by them. This lady has the courage to speak out and stand up for what she believes and as a female Mormon, it seems that takes guts - which thankfully she has in abundance. I loved her sense of humour and she had me laughing many times throughout the book.
on 1 July 2014
Great read, my only reservation is the childhood abuse bit - nobody ever really knows the truth in these things and I cannot help feeling that a strong clear-headed woman like Martha would have raised it before. Spoilt an otherwise excellent book for me.
on 20 March 2014
I read this book alongside 'Expecting Adam' by the same author.
I would easily consider them to be among the most moving and uplifting books I have ever read.
on 26 April 2009
This is a very interesting and enlightening book about what it is like to grow up in the bowels of a religious extremism that has warped the lives of millions. I know, because I too suffered a similar fate and can relate well to and corroborate much of the story this woman tells.

Ms. Beck is the daughter of one of Mormonism's premier apologists, historians and spokesmen, and her courage to speak out and to uncover the lies, coercion and mind control that cripple its members very souls is to be lauded.

A very important book. A must read for anyone who is interested and concerned about the dark role of predatory religion and its effects in and on its members lives. Fascinating!
on 24 February 2015
Excellent product and service
on 26 September 2014
Informative for LDS readers.
on 9 September 2007
I'm totally fascinated by Martha Beck so no wonder I liked the book so much. Amazing facts, beautifully written.