on 6 January 2010
I will first say that I am a huge fan of the Leatherman Wave Multi-tool, it has been quite indispensable in my life and travels. Great quality, useful tools, I have used it effectively in conditions where I would've thought only a dedicated tool could have done the job properly.

I would not attempt to discourage anyone from buying this product, but due to my own recent experience I feel I must advise others about UK knife law:
"It is now ILLEGAL to have any sharply pointed or bladed instrument in your possession, in a public place without good reason or lawful authority."

Now pocket knives have their own special category where if the blade is foldable and under 3 inches it's OK but the Leatherman's blades are locking (one of the features that makes them an actual useful tool).

I recently narrowly escaped arrest after a security bag searcher in a public place asked me if I had any sharp objects on my possession. I immediately showed them my Leatherman Wave expecting to have to hand it into the information desk and retrieve it later, which would be an inconvenience as I had it with me for a purpose - as minor as it sounds I was going to use it at this time as a pencil sharpener, as I was at said public place to sketch for my studies. The multi-tool was confiscated, the police were called, and I was told my Wave would be destroyed and, since it was a locking blade possession out of the home, was illegal in itself. My reason for using it was valid, honest, and I was a bit ignorant of the law to be honest as my record is squeaky clean, but I narrowly escaped an official recorded warning thanks to police discretion.

I hope that this informs others who might, like me, want to generally have something as useful as this on them without a definite, provable, work-related reason for carrying it.
1616 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 April 2016
Having owned two other different multi-tools over the years, I was prompted to purchase the LT650 when my previous, non-Leatherman, mysteriously grew legs and wandered out of my office desk drawer... Thus presented with an opportunity to purchase a replacement, I elected to try out the brand that made the multi-tool famous - and am very glad that I did.

The LT650 distinguishes itself from cheaper competition immediately, and in multiple ways. It's hefty - nearly 300g in it's (supplied) tough leather pouch. It's so tough that it feels as though it has been milled from a solid billet, as opposed to be pressed and folded. Although the stainless steel-and-titanium is rendered in a superb satin finish, the size, shape and design means that this will fit perfectly into your hand, offering excellent grip. Every single joint, every single hinge and knuckle is perfectly machined, working with a solid, workmanlike feel that just oozes quality.

The main blades have big, chunky thumbnail slots cut through them, making it both easy and safe to open them; they lock into place with elegantly engineered spring-steel that required positive pressure - applied safely to the side of the assembly to eliminate the chance of snicked fingers. The plier-cutter assembly slots into shape with more spring-steel artistry, helpfully ensuring that the mechanism doesn't unfold itself at an inconvenient moment. Lastly, all the smaller, utility items, such as mini-scissors, screwdriver blades, can-openers can be easily operated, even if you have larger fingers or are not especially dexterous.

Lastly, the fold-out assembly options include a "socket" for additional functionality that can be added by purchasing thing Leatherman Wave Bit-Git - a remarkably handy addition of some 42 further tool heads, able to extend this simply multi-tool even further. The whole assembly comes supplied in a very sturdy, gloss-black finish leather belt pouch.

To wrap up, some "positive" and "negative" points...
Positives:-
1. Build quality off the scale - the use of titanium and top quality steel make this likely the best multi-tool on the market.
2. Design - it isn't that everything works flawlessly (you'd rather expect it to at this price point), but it's the way that everything falls to hand effortlessly, that it's so unerringly logical that you don't need the instructions sheet.
3. Engineering - not all multi-tools are assembled with such incredibly attention to details. The LT650 is designed to have a long, tough life and to not let you down. You only need to heft one of these in your hands to realise the world of difference between this and the knock-offs...
Negatives:-
1. It's not a lightweight. If you're paring down your kit to the absolute bare minimum, then some of the incredible flexibility may be excessive and may add weight that you don't need to be carrying.
2. Functionality - in terms of the range of tools provided - is intentionally not as broad as many of the competition. Bear in mind, though, that the LT650 is all about quality, not quantity. If you want a fire-lighting-fishing-rod-come-canoe-paddle in your multi-tool, look elsewhere.
3. Price - OK so I've put this one down as a negative because, let's be honest, the LT650 isn't cheap. But then a fair chunk of that cost has gone in to producing something that looks like it could survive the end of the world with nonchalant ease. You get what you pay for. Chalk this one up as "reassuringly expensive"...

Sum-Up: This is neither the cheapest nor the most feature-laden of the multi-tools on the market today, but 30 seconds with one will be all you need to convince yourself that you made the right choice. Bullet-proof and brilliant.
on 26 November 2015
My second Leatherman. My first got taken off me at airport security a year ago, after owning it for five or more years. I forgot it was tucked in my rucksack. Oh MAN - It broke my heart. I am literally still in mourning. This new model is great, I have it in my pocket when I am working all of the time, and use it every single day. The pliers are fab, the knife or scissors are used most, and everything else just gives me that sense of superiority that comes from knowing I have tools in my pocket. Plus everyone thinks I am a God when I whip this puppy out, and save the day, by opening their parcel/cheese/whatever. I really hope this one never gets taken off me, because it is indispensable. Don't bother buying cheaper versions because they will break and don't have enough heft in the handle to be of any use. I like the size as it means I don't lose it.
on 30 July 2008
i have owned this tool for the last four years and i have had no problems with the build quality or any aspect of this tool and it is a superb piece of kit, it is by far the best of its kind and i would recommend it to anyone who has a need for a handy medium sized tool.

i have owned other multi tools and this and all the other leatherman tools are built to a much higher standard and represent great value for money.
on 11 March 2010
I can't say much about this product that hasn't already been said by lots of others. In short - it does what it says on the tin and its the most handy tool I've ever owned. This, in combination with my ever present Swiss Army Knife (the top range one), does everything I need on a day to day basis as a video film maker. All the bits of gaffer tape and ropes etc to cut (knife and scissors), all the adjusting screws (the various driver heads) and on the hoof equipment mods. (the file and pliers etc). All I feel I can add are two comments. The first is if it weren't for the lack of tweezers, pointy bradawl tool, magnifier and wood chisel, I wouldn't need to carry my Swiss knife as well. Secondly there's the worry about the locking blades. I am 63 years old - never had more to do with the police than the usual speeding fines etc but I'm seriously worried about the locking blade thing. I'm not going to try and remove this facility like I heard someone do by using a small grinder. I think the locking mechanism is far to useful and safety protective to be removed and so I'm going to risk keeping it. All I would say is if anyone is thinking of taking this piece of kit into a public place (and that includes your car) without a very good reason be aware that its possession alone is illegal and is a criminal offence. Bear this in mind when buying and if necessary go for a non locking option. Anyway, I'll write to Leatherman from my prison cell if the worst happens!
on 28 October 2009
These are the ultimate in handy always there tools! Since buying, they have become a permanent fixture attached to me at all times. The time saved while working having a multi function tool with you at all times is fantastic and would without a doubt recommend them to anyone interested in purchasing. Although expensive. In this life you get what you pay for and they don't dissapoint.
on 8 February 2016
Leatherman....everybody should have one. This is my second one as I thought I had lost previous one that I owned for over 5 years, couldn't do without it, used frequently throughout day in my handyman job. My previous one turned up but this one is much better design, one handed blade opening is a good idea. The changeable screwdriver bits are great....I purchased bits as an extra,I'm looking for a belt pouch that holds tool and bits...don't know if there is one.This one came with leather pouch with push stud fastening, lot better than the nylon pouch...the velcro fastening doesn't last for years like the tool. 25 year guarantee....very robust, takes the abuse.
on 13 January 2016
This is a great piece of kit, the only thing that should put people off is the misunderstanding of uk knife law. The locking blade on this product is really quite superb, unfortunately because it IS a locking blade that means in public in the UK it is illegal to carry "without good reason".

Other than that the tool is up to Leathermans superb build quality and the fact this comes with a leather sheath in the box is great.
on 16 December 2014
I bought this for my son as he had been helping me on a number of jobs around the house and I think he'll find it useful in the future as he is clearly practically minded. I have an earlier version (different screwdriver arrangement and other minor variations) and I use it several times a day. Fair enough I am a tradesman but even so - I had it for a number of years before I went back on the tools.

You get what you pay for with these tools. You equally get quite a heavy little gadget that isn't well suited to most pockets I imagine so mine has always lived in a belt pouch. Mine has been used for all sorts of jobs too many to list. If I lost it - a replacement would be ordered that day which incidentally is usually the quickest way of finding something in my experience!

There are things it won't do thank goodness. How would I justify all my other tools to my wife?
on 8 July 2016
I would have gave it 5 stars but leatherman are determined to make life difficult. to tighten tool or slacken to put pocket clip on or to replace tools you have to send away for 2 security torx T10 bits. WHY!! Why not use normal torx screws it's only a multitool not a lock on a house door.