on 1 June 2009
I thought it was important to teach my son the names of different dogs that he was likely to encounter.

I have been reading Learning About books to my son for over a year now; we have nearly every title from the series. Even though he isn't able to read by himself (he's only three), he is still able to memorize the names, and match them to pictures.

Each book contains descriptions about appearances, behavior, and other educational facts. I am thoroughly impressed with the quantity of information provided in such a small, inexpensive book.

The kids will have fun placing the stickers on the corresponding pages. The illustrations for the stickers include such detail that my son instantly recognizes any of the animals from the Dover books, if we happen to see them at the zoo, aquarium, nature trail, etc.

Learning About Dogs covers Beagle, Collie, Poodle, Dalmation, American Cocker Spaniel, St. Bernard, Old English Sheepdog, Golden Retriever, German Sheperd, Scottish Terrier, Irish Setter, and Siberian Husky. Descriptions include height, weight, what they were originally bred for, and their temperaments.

Another similar book is Learning About Cats (Learning About Books).