Learn Adobe Flex 4 in a fun and engaging way with this book's unique, hands-on approach. Using clear examples and step-by-step coaching from two experts, you'll create four applications that demonstrate fundamental Flex programming concepts.
Throughout the course of this book, you’ll learn how to enhance user interaction with ActionScript, and create and skin a user interface with Flex’s UI components (MXML) and Adobe's new FXG graphics format. You'll also be trained to manage dynamic data, connect to a database using server-side script, and deploy applications to both the Web and the desktop.
Learning Flex 4 offers tips and tricks the authors have collected from years of real-world experience, and straightforward explanations of object-oriented programming concepts to help you understand how Flex 4 works.
- Work with Flash Builder 4 and the Eclipse IDE
- Learn the basics of ActionScript, MXML, and FXG
- Design a Flex application layout
- Build an engaging user interface
- Add interactivity with ActionScript
- Handle user input with rich forms
- Link Flex to a server with PHP and MySQL
- Gather and display data
- Style applications and add effects, filters, and transitions
- Deploy applications to the Web, or to the desktop using Adobe AIR
About the Author
Elijah Robison is completing a Master of Science degree in Geospatial Sciences from Missouri State University. As a graduate assistant, he built several hydrologic assessment utilities for ESRI's ArcGIS platform. Currently he works as a programmer with VillaGIS, Inc., where he helps develop mapping applications using Adobe Flex and Adobe AIR. Elijah brings a fresh perspective in Flex that helps to demystify the technology.