VINE VOICEon 16 July 2008
I asked a student on an MSc course how much they could remember about a course they had been examined on three weeks before and they said almost nothing. This is a sad fact of education, we are not teaching the things that matter in a way that engages and that gets students to use it.

Aldrich's book is about using simulations to teach. While they cannot be used in all cases especially the next generation simulations, everyone should try and use them when they can. For me they make history dynamic and interesting. They are harder to apply in my own discipline - science. Where making simulations to try and teach the skills is challenging.

That is the one weakness of the book. It has lots of lists and lots of gems for teaching but if you want something to give you a framework for taking this further and developing the next generation simulations he alludes to there is not enough about the design to implementation process. I can figure out what I want to do but then what ...?