on 30 September 2009
For years I have fiddled about with Excel not really knowing too much about it and using it to do some simple sums! Then I discovered it is a great database for contacts and made mail merging a whole lot easier. After some time I became frustrated with how little I knew and decided to go on a course to up my skill level. In the process of searching on the net for a suitable course I came across this DVD course and I decided to buy it. The result? The best money's worth imaginable.

The course is simply laid out in short concise lessons which are choc full of gems of information presented in a well thought out manner. Within one hour I was totally impressed with how informative and straight forward it was and like a good book it was hard to stop moving on to the next chapter. I am pleased to say I now feel I am a competent Excel user and am looking forward to the more advanced book which I understand is soon to be published.

I am in the communication business and would be critical of any programme that didn't do what it claims to do...this product is as good as it gets and if you want to start the journey of mastering Excel 2007 then this is it. I have also ordered the A4 book to go with the DVD as I forsee it being an invaluable source of reference.
on 22 April 2010
I can only echo the sentiments of the other reviewers here, and I feel it's one of the best 10 quids I've ever spent.

I was pretty fluent in Excel prior to taking this course, but I was amazed at how many details and techniques I picked up. The individual lessons are short, to the point, and easy to understand and remember. Mike Smart has a talent for teaching, which makes learning a real pleasure.

One issue: the installation prog insists on putting the practice files in the C:\Practice folder, regardless of the destination chosen - although I admit I'm scraping the barrel to find any negatives whatsoever. To be fair there are none, and I regard this product as incredibly good value. Even before I'd finished this course, I downloaded the Expert level course (this isn't available on Amazon (yet?), but can be downloaded from Mike Smart's website).

My only disappointment is that Mike Smart hasn't created equivalent DVDs for Word, PowerPoint, Access, etc, etc.

Extremely highly recommended!
on 8 March 2010
For me the video format is the best. I love that.

Wonderful quality, beautiful voice and pronunciation (important for me as a non native English speaker) , amazing and fast after and presale service.
Stunning 5 stars, and I am very rave about that because I was looking for something good a long time.
I have dyslexia and many difficulties with reading etc. So these tutorials have really helped me as I have to graduate soon, and without the Excel, there is no way I will find a job.

Thanks for all.

B. Grabowski
on 29 January 2010
To give you some background on me I am a computer numpty.....only know what I have grasped through trial and error.I usually give up on learning all but what I have to of software programmes due to time constraints and not knowing what to call something I want to do so can't find it in the index of whatever books I've usually bought to learn from.

This DVD is brilliant if I could have given it 10 stars I would have! After a very very short time I feel really quite competent with Excel 2007 and have even learnt a few other computer tricks not specific to excel.

The lessons are indexed clearly and split into such short chunks, showing exactly what to do and with examples to try yourself, that it also makes a book equivalent reference guide so if there is something you have forgotten or need to check out in a rush it is easy to do so.

The narrator is English and has a pleasant to listen to voice.There is no irritating twangy music to accompany the lessons. It really is like having a one to one lesson with a tutor......actually no it's better as I didn't have to take notes and can have a 'lesson' at 3am whan I need to desperately finish an assignment and I've forgotten how to do something......plus it cost me less than £10!

Just brilliant! I'll always search first for a smart method DVD in the future when I need to get to grips with a software package.
on 16 August 2010
Simply fantastic - I'm heading into my first year of an Engineering degree as a mature student and wasn't really up to scratch with Excel, the whole program looked totally confusing to me.

Well not anymore, I've gone from a complete novice, to a semi-advanced user in a matter of days!

This really is a fantastic course, everything is explained clearly, the lessons are well structured and Mr Smarts voice doesn't start to grate on you like some video tutorials I've used in the past.

I can't quite believe it only costs £10 to buy - One of the most rewarding £10 I've spent in a very long while!
on 24 February 2010
I was struggling at work with a few Excel problems and not really understanding reading the help from the various internet sites, I stumbled across some video tutorials and one especially helpful video was by Mike Smart. I consider myself quite skilled in Excel and purchased the Expert Skills book and bought the Essential Skills DVD for my husband as he is just starting out but I have been working through the Essential Skills DVD with him and loving it as there are plenty of tips I wasn't aware of. I will certainly be purchasing the DVD of the Expert Skills when it is released. Many thanks to Mike Smart for a brilliant DVD and book.
on 11 January 2010
Over the years I have learned a lot from video tutorials and this one is up there with the good ones.
Recommended.
on 29 August 2010
Probably one of the best investments ive ever made, i initally thought i had all the basics covered but clearly not after working through the DVD, cant recommend it enough, just bought the expert version on DVD from the learnexcel website and im sure that will take my excel skills to a whole new level.

well done mike smart couldn't be more happier with my purchase.
on 29 January 2010
First of all, i have to indicate that i have the utmost respect for the author of this video course, Mr Smart. He has accomplished a great task with preparing this brilliant Excel course. He explains every lesson and tutorial with a plain english and respectful statements to the attendee. The overall progress of the course is very handy in learning the essential skills of Excel 2007, which is the aim of the course. The examples, tutorials, and exercises are wisely selected and instructed, preventing the learner to be puzzled or confused. I have learned the most basic skills in the first few chapters, progressively advancing through chapters, in addition a lot of useful skills and tips which will help ingratiate yourself with your chief.
on 12 August 2011
Firstly I thought I ordered CD with a book (my mistake as I ordered it in a rush and did not read the description). I was thinking of returning this item but at the end I thought I will give it a go.
Honestly, I prefer this to a book anytime! It explains clearly all the steps from the beginning. I thought I know the basics but after watching the video there is so many good ideas which I did not have a clue about.
I am only in the second section at this moment but I felt that I should write a review about a great product. This will help me with Excel and I am sure that this DVD will become invaluable tool in my office.