Price:£89.99+ £4.95 shipping

VINE VOICEon 25 September 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The leappad 2 is very similar to the first Leappad released at the end of last year, but with a few added extras. The leappad 2 looks the same initially, but with an added camera for front pictures (similar to the new gen Ipod). You HAVE to have a laptop/computer as you need to download the leappad connect application and create an online account) and this is what is needed to move games/programs onto the leappad and also to remove the pictures videos taken to print later.
The first programs are similar with one connected to the computer loads petpad, my stuff, my books, camera, art studio and video. Added extra to leappad 2 is the creativity program and a game/and or video game (must be picked when first connected to the computer.
I had already connected a first leappad to my computer and was alittle worried whether the downloaded games would transfer, but I need not have worried as games that are downloaded are available to upto 3 leappads connected (at separate times) and games can be loaded onto all three at the same time.

The differences in memory are that Leappad 1 1704mb and Leappad 2 3118 mb. One point that I have found irritating is that the Charger for leappad one does not work in Leappad 2. Also the Battery compartment of the Leap pad 2 does not need a coin to open and batteries are easier to install than in the older one. The Leappad 2 is also a music player
Not sure yet what happens when you revert them back to factory settings, but can not see this being a problem.
My daughter is 3 and finds this unit really easy to use. It is robust and user friendly, one tiny niggle would be that it is really easy to add additonal users and change the ability level on the appliance itself and this is not always acceptable. My daughter managed to change hers from preschool to year 2 level. This is easily rectified, but should not be accessible to the child.
All in all Leappad 1 or 2, a few added extras, but either would be great for a young child up to at least end of KS1 - year 2.

A great present and much loved toy.
0Comment|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 December 2012
bought this for my daughter its a good toy but i feel like i,ve been toatally mislead, it requires for aa batteries that dont even last a day, the charger you can buy is not a charger at this stage its just a power lead to use the leapad from the mains, it now turns out to use the toy like it has been sold, i.e a portable tablet, you now need to buy the recharger battery packs that fit into were the batterys go, then the mains adapter becomes a charger for the leapad, so after buying this leapad we now have spend another £30+ to use the thing as a portable tablet,
on 31 January 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This latest version of the LeapFrog LeapPad Explorer comes with its own application platform, as well as a sturdy design, a faster processor and double the memory of the original. They've also added a front-facing camera and a growing catalogue of downloadable games.

It features a 480 x 720 pixel display, 5in TFT display and there's also a standard 3.5mm headphone jack at the top of the device. There's a mini-USB port next to the cartridge slot (a USB cable is bundled with the Leappad). A small home button is located at the bottom right of the screen, which gets you back to the main menu, and volume controls are located on the right of the screen. There is a large scroll or "toggle" button centered right in the middle of the device at the bottom. Parents will be pleased to know that it uses the same cartridges from the original Leapfrog, so that's good news if you are upgrading!

LeapFrog has added a lot to its app store, of course, it's hardly on a par with iTunes or Google Play, but there's a decent choice of well over 100 titles now. In addition to games you can also download LeapFrog videos to the LeapPad2. In the last year, the catalogue of videos has drastically improved, with offerings from Disney, Nickelodeon, and Sesame Street.

Set up is simple, and the overall design and ease of use of the tablet will appeal to kids of all ages. With books that feature interactive games and the ability to draw and write, its versatility is endless, but its easy to forget that ultimately this is a toy and not an actual tablet!!
VINE VOICEon 1 January 2013
This product was a Christmas present for a young (3 yr old) relative. I knew LeapFrog have a reputation for making quality toys, but I did not realise quite how hi-tech this product would be for something aimed at youngsters. This tablet is (very loosely) akin to an iPad in terms of its functionality, which is pretty impressive considering the price-point and the fact it is designed for young children. Having said that obviously the spec is obviously much lower than an iPad or other equivalent tablets. The camera, for example, whilst brilliant for young kids to take their first pictures with, takes relatively grainy images. Admittedly this may perform better outside rather than in, but we haven't yet used it in this environment.

The apps are clearly designed to help kids have learn and (hopefully) simultaneously have fun. There are a few pre-installed apps and you can download one of your own choice for free, however to sustain interest further apps will certainly have to be purchased and I guess that is the only downside really. The cost of the tablet is not a one-off and it will require further investments, albeit at a few pounds a time.

Overall therefore, a great product which will doubtless not only enable children to have fun, but also to learn. Highly recommended.
on 28 December 2012
My 3 year old daughter loves this thing!!!!!

Bought the LeapPad2 for my daughter's birthday on Boxing Day this year and she just can not get enough of it. She has wanted one for the last six months so both myself and the wife decided to go with getting her one and believe me it's been worth money well spent. The product is sturdy and the screen seems quite strong, although its only been two days since she has been playing with it. The pink colour is a really nice pink, the green one looks neat too though with my child being a girl she asked for the pink one. You can buy various games, eBooks, music and apps from the LeapFrog website if you connect the LeapPad2 to the internet via USB cable supplied with the product and download content from the site, or you can purchase games from Amazon which are at a good price. We have not used batteries as we bought the LeapFrog AC Adapter £9.99 form Amazon when we orderd the product. The AC Adapter is good, however it only supplies power to the pad and does not act as a charger, you can buy a charger pack separate for £30.00. This product should last my daughter until she is ready for an I pad lol.

A must buy for 3 year olds and kids older :)
on 26 July 2013
Yes you have to buy the games separtely if you want lots of choice, but there are some that you can download for free when you first connect it. My 4 year old daughter adores her leap pad, she loves the alpahet video with Leap and also the games that come with it, We have bought a couple of extras, like the tangled game, and some of the downloadables but when you see how long they play on them I do think they are worth it. Just look at what your child likes and tailor accordingly. There are levels which you can change in order to challenge them with harder words etc, but to be honest using the leapfrog connection software is a nightmare. It is sooooo slow, I usually give up. The leappad I think is the best explorer/gamer concept that leap pad has come up with yet. My son has the leapster which he at the time spent over 300 hours on in the couple of years he played on it. He now tries to borrow his little sisters leap pad whenever he can. and he doesn't mind if they are girlie games.
on 9 January 2013
Bought the Leap Pad 2 for a four and a half year old. She is still figuring out how to play and use it, but overall we're pleased with it. My 7 year old also enjoys playing it and helps the four year old to figure out some of the games.
The downside of this is the battery usage. Thankfully I bought a plug for it. 4xAA batteries don't last two full days and that is just playing on it for a couple of hours a day between two children. Also the camera is fun, but the picture quality is poor.
It might be too early to say how durable it is, but it's taken out and about and my 18 month old is fairly heavy handed with the pen and there have been no ill effects.
We're only two weeks in and have a lot to learn about getting the most from it, which is a good thing. I would recommend it, the kids are all enjoying it.
The mark I take off is for battery usage, poor camera quality and not being re-chargeable. Make sure to buy a plug for it.
on 27 December 2012
I am so happy I bought this for my 3 year old girl, she absolutely LOVES it.
a few days before Xmas, I turned it on and oked it up to my laptop. It was very easy to install all the apps and the additional free app, it only took a long time to download but this was probably due to my slow Internet connection. I fiddled around with it a bit and loved all the features. I'm glad I ordered an addapter for it too as it really eats batteries. My daughter loves the drawing app and washing and feeding her pet. She also likes to take pictures and make them look funny by stretching the face and drawing on it. It's a great purchase and she's getting a lot of playtime out of it. As you can change the age category, she will be able to use it for years to come. The apps you can download aren't too expensive if you decide to buy one once a month for example instead of all the kiddie magazines they only use once.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There are some fun features with this device and I'm sure lots of the games (that you have to buy separately) are good as well, but I think for what other computers and/or game consoles you can get on the market today, it probably doesn't quite live up to its full potential game-wise or feature-wise. It might seem a cheaper buy from the outset, but the fact that you have to keep buying cartridges and apps for it does detract from the overall score.
The camera was a big success right from the beginning with my nephew though and it's tougher than say an ipad or something, so it doesn't matter so much if he drops it from time to time. And he has enjoyed spending hours on it since we got it at the end of last year, so I guess it has stood the time and has provided entertainment even if his auntie is not completely taken in.
VINE VOICEon 29 September 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'll start off by saying that I have no experience of a child playing with this toy. My daughter is currently far too young for it (although if Amazon wanted it stress testing then she'd be ideal!) so this review is based on my own tinkerings.

The first thing I notice (apart from how bloody hard it is to get out of the packaging) is that is doesn't feel like a very good quality unit. Specifically, the battery compartments (yes plural, there are two on the back on each side, each one taking two AA batteries). They are quite awkward to open and close again and unless you get it just right they are quite hard to shut properly.

I am also a bit sceptical about the stylus (which can only be fixed to the right hand side of the unit, annoying as I'm left handed although it does just about reach). I can't feel any sharp points on it but sometimes when I'm using it, it feels as though it's scratching across the screen instead of gliding smoothly. I'm sure there are screen protectors available and with this being a toy for young children I would definitely recommend getting some.

Now, on to the fun stuff! The pad comes pre-loaded with several apps and you have the choice of one to download for free when you set it up. There is PetPad which is like a more advanced Tamagotchi; feed, bathe, play and learn (tracking alphabet letters) with a pet that you can customize (mine is an orange dragon but you can have all sorts. A pig, rabbit, sheep, cat etc.)

Art Studio is basically like Paint in Windows. You can use a pencil, paint brush (both of which you can change sizes), patten brush, stamp, fill tool, eraser etc. My only gripe here is that you can only undo three times, although I don't think young children will care too much about that.

Creativity is an app in which you can create cartoons. You choose a setting, the number of scenes, the characters, their movement, dialogue (you can even record your own), props etc. It's a very thorough process and even creating one scene could take a very long time. The minimum number of scenes is three and the maximum five. If your child enjoys this app, it will keep them quiet for a very long time. It does seem quite advanced though and as I said, my daughter is far too young for this so I can't really speculate on what age group this app would be best aimed at. I would hazard a guess at anywhere from 5-10 years old.

On top of all of this there is also the music player (with some educational songs pre-loaded) and then camera function, the pad having cameras on both the front and back and the ability to take both photos and videos. Photos can be manipulated in the photo studio (elongating noses, changing colours, that sort of thing) and saved onto the internal memory. The video camera isn't very good quality but considering the price of the unit and the range of other things it can do, it's not bad for the price.

My main issue about this pad (apart from those mentioned at the start of the review) is the additional costs you don't know about when you buy it. Firstly, as stated in other reviews, the pad is extremely power hungry. Taking four AA batteries, unless you are using rechargables (which will run down faster than disposables) you're going to spend a small fortune. Alternatively, you can buy the LeapFrog LeapPad Recharger Pack but it's pretty expensive when you've already had to fork out for the pad. There is a socket for a 9v mains adapter but you don't get one with the pad. If you have a generic one it will probably work but for the tiny amount they cost to produce, how hard would it have been to include one. Just another ploy to sell you the recharger pack, methinks!

Then there are the app downloads and cartridges. On the App Center [sic] there are various games, eBooks and learning tools and while there are some cheaper ones (£3.50 being the lowest price) some of them are as high as £20 each, such as the Cars 2 game and Tinkerbell game. In fact, there seems to be a lot of Disney stuff and as with all of their products, none of it is cheap. Actually, as I write this review, the LeapFrog Leapster/LeapPad Explorer Cars 2 Game cartridge for the tablet is £14.14 so you would save money and memory space.

Two other minor points that bug me slightly is the absence of a battery meter on the screen and there is no settings menu so you can't turn off the tips or background music on menus.

Overall I think it is a very good unit and it has the capability to entertain a child for many years, the level of education being adjustable in the user profile. I'll be putting mine away for a couple more years yet, until my daughter realises it is a toy, not a chew toy, but when it finally comes back out I'm sure she'll love it.
88 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse