Format: DVD|Change

on 30 July 2014
I really liked this DVD and play it daily. Whilst it is in English I find adding the subtitle on as well increases its enjoyment when speech is going a bit too fast for me to understand. The 2 main actors are new to me, both initially of different characters ; she polished in character but a bit impractical, and he surly but very practical and down to earth. Nevertheless it ends happily. I'll leave you to learn the meaning of 29th February every 4 years in Ireland.

The only complaint I have which is nothing to do with 'Leap Year' is the length of the advertisement films which preceded it.
on 10 July 2014
Enjoyable but typical and somewhat predictable plot.
If you enjoy RomComs you will probably enjoy it but equally it will not feel like anything new/something you haven't seen a thousand times before.
on 11 August 2013
good fun budget title, simple storyline attractive american lady gets stuck in remote irish village and needs to get to dublin, up steps the only decent bloke in the village with his own teeth and an unpickled liver and you can guess the rest , good fun and a nice ending not a well known cast at all but just a nice gentle film
on 2 January 2013
Let's be honest, this film is not very everyone. Despite its controversial nature, it's a pretty good rom-com that doesn't quite reach its potential. The main problems people find with this film include a pretty 'normal' male lead, not very glamorous location, and probably a story that is less 'Hollywood' than we are accustomed to. That being said, the interaction between the two leads is very enjoyable, with a couple of laugh out loud scenes dispersed throughout the movie. Sweet, fun and light-hearted rom-com featuring the adorable Amy Adams.
on 29 January 2014
Some really funny bits in this film. Amy is very good in this and the fella is a great foil.
Really enjoyable film and unusual story.
It is nice to see a film that is so entertaining without the need for constant swearing and sex scenes.
on 15 February 2014
I know in my heart of hearts this is a really bad movie but Im going to be honest and tell you I loved it and watched it over and over. If you like pure cheese and can forgive a bad Irish accent get this watched.
on 1 June 2012
This isn't a film to contemplate the meaning the Life, the Universe and Everything, but this isn't "Contact" is it, so what do you expect?

IMO this is a good film to watch with a group of friends on the weekend and just enjoy plenty of good chuckles. I really love this film, but I've been surprised at other people's less-than-enthusiastic reaction to it, so I guess all our senses of humour are individual.

This is a bit of a mix between Planes Trains and Automobiles and a romcom, with some excellent characters along the way. A highlight for me was the condescending Welsh airport employees.

Enjoy.
on 11 January 2016
Very predictable storyline but easy watching without having to think about it. More for the girls...although I like Amy Adams. OK if you're only paying £3 or £4. Personally I wouldn't watch it a second time.
on 23 February 2015
I struggled to watch this at all at first - I have a multi region Blu-Ray player and it wouldn't play on this. It just comes up with a warning that it will only play on dedicated Region B players. Fortunately I could run it through a PS3 that we had but if you don't have such a spare Blu-ray player handy then you'd be stuck. Odd - I've never had any other Blu-ray disc refusing to play - only this one.

As for the story - yes weak and full of holes but if you're not wanting to tax the brain cells, its quite watchable. I go with the criticisms of the crazy geography - clearly nobody on the production side has any sense of North, East, South and West. And Wicklow is hardly on the route between Dingle and Dublin - so how did they end up there?? Neither does it seem that the production folk understand what the weather is like in Ireland in February - outdoor weddings and sunny parks may be fine for February in California, but in Ireland its likely to be cold, wet and windy. So all of these fine outdoor weather scenes in late February really does beggar belief..

So its best to park your higher brain functions you then you can relax and enjoy it.
on 3 March 2014
This is one of my absolute favourite films in my absolute favourite genre. Yes, I acknowledge that it's riddled with stereotypes, that Matthew Goode's Irish accent isn't completely authentic and you need to take the plot with a pinch of salt, but I still love this film. The setting is gorgeous and it's shot with a real love for Ireland in mind, almost as a character in itself, even despite the stereotypical locals and slightly archaic portrayal of rural life. Anna and Declan are sympathetic, funny and above all likeable characters that you grow to love and the chemistry between Amy Adams and Matthew Goode is apparent from start to finish. The script is witty and never laboured. The more you watch the film the more little details you notice, which attest to the superlative acting skills of both Goode and Adams, neither of whom is the generic 'rom com' actor and both of whom are 'serious' actors in their own right.

In short, the stereotypes within the film do not detract from Leap Year's being a highly entertaining and endearing film of its genre. I'm surprised that it was panned by critics, because I don't believe it deserved to be.