VINE VOICEon 28 January 2004
What an original and useful valentines present.
Firstly the quality as always with Le Creuset is excellent.
The pot is a gorgeous red and looks fantastic on the side.
You can of course use this as a normal stockpot but you can make heart shaped bread and cakes in this.
A novel present and a great idea with my only slight concern being it is very heavy.
Recommended.
on 30 January 2004
Stunning, this CAST IRON casserole Dish from LE CREUSET in 'CERISE' (Graded shades of red, generally darker at the edges), beautifully offset by the BLACK phenolic KNOB.

Approximate maximum capacity : 1.9L
Sturdily boxed, complete with CAST IRON care/use instructions.

This lidded dish looks extra special as a centre-piece on a crisp white tablecloth along with a bottle of Lanson 'Black Label', on ice.......and a single red rose......on those extra special occasions!

Sue Lawrence has an excellent recipe for this very 'dish' in her book, Le Creuset's French Baking - 'GATEAU AU CHOCOLAT'

Of course, this 'pot' can also be used as a regular casserole dish any day of the week - on the hob/in the oven....out to the table! Guaranteed to be a talking point!

Sturdily boxed, complete with CAST IRON use &care instructions, this would make an ideal gift for that someone special in your life.
on 26 July 2010
When I was a child, my mum had a set of Le Creuset pans - big heavy cast iron pans with wooden handles, I loved the chunky feel of them when cooking.

My mum however developed Tenosinovitis, a problem with her wrists and could no longer hold the pans - they went to the carboot, to be replaced by lightweigh stainless steel pans. But I always vowed that one day, when I had my own house, I would own some Le Creuset cookware - and now I own this wonderful dish.

I'm pretty sure some of you are spitting your tea all over your keyboard at this moment - no doubt that seems an awful lot of money for a casserole dish when you can get a perfectly good pyrex one for a fiver. But, you can't put a price on love !

The dish, as you can see, is an attractive heart shaped dish with a matching lid, and two little wing handles, one on either side . It is made of cast iron, with an enamal lining . The dish is very heavy, weighing in at 3.2kg, so is certainly not suitable for those who are unable to carry heavier weights , especially as it is of course heavier when filled .

This dish is a little beauty - not only can I use it in the oven to make casseroles and stews, but it is also perfectly suited for using on my hob . My hob is electric, but don't worry - it can be used on gas hobs, agas, ceramic hobs, and induction hobs too . It can also be used under the grill .

Because of the plastic handle, it can't be used in the oven above 190 degrees celsius. This isn't really a problem, as most casseroles and stews require a longer cook at a lower heat. It is also worth bearing in mind that the casserole dish retains heat very well, which keeps food hot in the oven even after the oven has been turned off for quite some time . Do remember to use oven gloves when taking the lid off too - this dish will not cool down as quickly as glassware will. I would also recommend using a trivet if carrying this dish out to table to serve food, as it is very heavy and will mark surfaces . And lets face it, a pretty dish like this demands to be used as a serving dish.

Naturally, the enamal coating is not non stick, so if using this dish on the hob for frying etc, you will need to use oil . When cleaning, you shuld treat this in the same way you would a non-stick pan however, and avoid harsh scrubbing brushed that might scratch the enamal lining. I should also point out that electric hand mixers and beaters should not be used in this dish as they may also damage the lining, and that wooden, silicone, and plastic tools are recommended by the manufacturer as metal utensils can again cause damage to the lining .

This is fully dishwasher proof apparently, although I don't own a dishwasher so can't comment on how well they wash using this method - I do however find that after a good soak even the most stubborn stains come off easily leaving the pan good as new .

I love this dish. It claims to serve 2-3 people, but I would actually say you could get a reasonable stew and dumplings for four done in this dish with no problems . Yes, it is heavy to carry, especially when full, which may well put some people off, but I find something comforting in the solidity of this cookware. I think the dish itself is attractive, perfect for taking from oven to table, and very smart and classy - much nicer than any of my other cookware .

I really like the fact that this works on all kinds of hobs and ovens - I plan on changing my electric cooker for a gas one in a few months, and it is good to know I will not need to replace this item as I will have to do with some other pans. The best bit of all for me though, is that should I somehow manage to break this item (lord knows how, it seems to be indestructable) then it is guaranteed . Not just for a few months or a few years, but for MY lifetime . Thats right- they offer a real lifetime guarantee - for as long as I live, they will replace this dish if something goes wrong with it!

I love this dish loads . I love the whole Le Creuset range in general - in fact, I'm currently saving up for my next pan!

5 stars!
on 1 April 2004
It weighs a ton, is only big enough for 2 people's dinner (I suppose that's the idea) and is pricey enough to make you think twice, but what a lovely item. All reservations vanish as you see it beaming cheekily from the stove. Aww. Not just for Valentine's you know! Go on, you know you want to.

Updated (practical!) advice having owned this for some time:
1. Do not use oven temps greater than 190 C, as per manufacturer's recommendations, as it has a 'bakelite' type handle and the pan itself can't handle really hot temps
2. Do not plunge into or fill with cold water when really hot, let it stand for a bit to cool or you risk damaging the enamel
3. Do not store with the lid upside down on it to save space, as the edge of the pan will eventually wear through the enamel on the lid creating a permanent mark - my experience!
on 8 May 2016
Beautiful, my friend loved it
on 3 December 2013
Tried to cancel this order but was not in time....however when it arrived I loved it and decided to keep it regardless of price! It is a gorgeous red, looks great in my kitchen and I plan to use it to make fondue over Christmas but it will have many uses other than casseroles!
on 1 June 2016
Thank You!
on 4 July 2013
Although not huge this casserole dish is suitable for two people. It looks fabulous and the recipient loved it. I would recommend this for anyone who is romantic; I wanted to keep it and have decided to save up to buy a larger Le Creuset casserole for myself.
on 14 August 2015
Daughter loves it
on 20 December 2013
I disappointed that the product has defect on the top of lid and even some colour was blenched which shows a white colour dot!!!