on 23 September 2013
This is the penultimate book in this thrilling series and it is by best my favorite. We see a little more Darquesse action whilst the war between mages rages. Whilst this book is my favorite I must admit tthat I was sad when we lost a few of our characters and was thoroughly shocked to discover who the man with the golden eyes was (finally). I can't wait for the final book even if it will make me sad that it is the final book. I'd recommend this book to anyone adult, teenager or child, who likes action, adventure, witty comments and magic.
on 31 August 2013
I just finished reading LSODM and I loved every word. The thing that I have always loved about the skulduggery pleasant series is that there is always a gripping plot accompanied by well placed humor and wit and Last Stand of Dead Men is no exception. The book always kept me guessing and the plot would frequently take twists and turns that I don't expect which always work out brilliantly. The end definitely left me yearning for more but sadly book 9 won't come for another year which I am sure will be a spectacular finale.
All in all a brilliant addition to the skulduggery series that will constantly keep your eyes glued to the page.
It’s several weeks after SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT - KINGDOM OF THE WICKED. The international Sanctuaries, convinced that the Irish Sanctuary murdered Grand Mage Strom are moving it. They want a power sharing arrangement, power-sharing in this case meaning that they take more control over the Irish Sanctuary’s affairs. The Irish Elders are standing firm, but with no allies and their own control weakened after recent events, it’s clear that war is coming and there’s no guarantee that they will win.

But Skulduggery and Valkyrie don’t have time to worry about that. They’re investigating why Charivari is leading the Warlocks against sorcerers and the answers they’re finding are very disturbing – so disturbing that they point to treachery in the deepest levels of the Sanctuary and a conspiracy that’s been a century in the making. Even worse than that, Valkyrie can feel the influence of the Darquesse rising in her mind – she wants to come out, she wants to help her, she wants to see the world burn …

The eighth in Derek Landy’s best-selling middle grade fantasy series is another action-packed corker that had me gripped from beginning to end. I really can’t speak highly enough about these books. Landy is a master of plot – there is so much going on here, so many plot strands but Landy weaves them together like an expert so that events you think have dropped to the wayside suddenly become very important. At the same time it’s the relationships that matter in this book. There are a lot of ties here, some of family and friendship and others more complicated (e.g. between Skulduggery and China Sorrows). Particularly good here is the fractured relationship between Valkyrie and Stephanie, her reflection who has become sentient in her own right and increasingly wants to take control of what has become her life but the relationship between the Dead Men – the seven sorcerers (including Skulduggery, Erskine Revel and Ghastly Bespoke) is central to this and Landy uses it to put more meat on the complicated history of his world. There are some significant character deaths in the book, some of which hit me worse than others and there are a lot of shifting allegiances. Landy’s action scenes are as excellent and violent as ever and the pace is completely unrelenting. I honestly had a blast from beginning to end and am planning to dive straight into the final book.
on 29 May 2014
Lsodm practically sums up all the little threads Landy has left in the rest of the books apart from,of course, the fate of the world. Its more stratigical than face first adventure with a war between sancturies, and a few main characters ( good&bad) come to there ends. However this does bring the story forward to what might be, in the next book, a difficult ending. Since Landy hasn't written an other series we don't know if he will kill of everyone that we care wha happens to or if he will give us a happy ending ( fingers crossed =p).
A FEW SPOILERS
okay let me put a senario to you if Landy is in a bad mood;
the Engineeer said "a soul is used to close the the rift between this reality and the scource of (*emphasises*) ALL magic >>>>>no magic (awful in its self) >>>>>> Stephanie gone maybe( not that i like her anyway) >>>>> Valekyrie back hopefully BUT >>>>> im pretty sure i read somwhere that Skulduggerys' life scource is magic......... :/ omg he wouldnt kill SP of would he?

Anyway Lsodm was a very food book but perhaps without as much humour as the others, but a certain snowy mountains/suit scene was very funny !! And dont get put off in anyway of buying this book because it is still a classic Skulduggedy Pleasant book! Thanks for reading=p
on 30 August 2013
If you've read this series since Book 1 this Book will defiantly be one of your favorites. If you have never, ever read a Skulduggery Pleasant then two things. 1) You really should and 2) You will still be hooked on this book. The writing style is so good that even if you have no idea what is going on you can still appreciate it. However fans of the series will defiantly have an extra level of enjoyment from all the story arc payoff. The story is fast and full of action but still makes room to include nice character moments which remind you why you love them so much. The Dialogue is short snappy and hilarious but also deep and engaging when the story needs it. The set-up for Book 9 is also well done but there is one drawback: I can't wait till 2014 for the ninth book. But i suppose that just shows how engaging the books are. This book is almost flawless. There are a few moments which feel forced or unnecessary, the plot sometimes moves forward to quickly or doesn't explain things clearly enough meaning You have to catch up a few pages later. But the Book does so much right this doesn't matter. Defiantly the best Skulduggery Pleasant yet and Book 9 will have to be incredible to beat this ( But it will). I can't wait.
on 5 September 2013
I feel really bad to be the first person to give a 3-star review. I honestly do. I bought the first SP book a few months after it came out back in 2007 to experiment with a new book. I loved it, and ever since I haven't been able to get enough of SP. The reason I loved that first book so much wasn't because of the story (which was brilliant, don't get me wrong there), but it was the characters I adored. The chemistry between Skulduggery and Valkyrie, the witty banter and humour, the emotion displayed in the later books, the complex and suprising storylines, the mindblowingly brilliant characters - this was all utterly brilliant. However I feel LSODM lacks some of those vital elements that us SP fans have grown to love.

With LSODM, while there was some great scenes, let's just say that the scales tip from pretty equal between "banter" and action to being pretty action dominant. The thing that depresses me most about this isn't that the action is bad - it's that all of the action in this book feels like it's been inspired by films; there are constant gun fights, a scene that feels extremely similar to one in a recent Marvel film, and just sequence after sequence that would be too perfect on the big screen.

Another thing that put me off was how long the book takes to reach its climax...and then how long it takes that climax to finish. Things started getting a but exciting by about page 450, and everything died down around page 580. It all felt like too much.

Also, the amount of gun use really shocked me. In practically every fight up building up to the end of the book (in fact, a sniper rifle has an important role in the final battle), there would be some sort of gun use. Whether it be a silenced pistol or a rifle, there would be something. I'm not one of those people who hates guns and thinks they're ghastly things (no pun intended), but this is a series based around magic. The ratio of gun to magic use was pretty much 1:1. It really disappointed me, and it's part of what made the early parts of the book just feel like an action movie.

Some of the characters are just a bit bland. The Monster Hunters particularly - they are predictable, and I'm not sure whether or not Landy deliberately made the interactions between them awkward. To be honest, I wouldn't be suprised if he did, but it just didn't work this time round. Some of it is funny and some of it made me laugh, but other parts just felt like a belated attempt at humorous conversation. Skulduggery's attitude to pretty much everything just felt different - he wasn't smart or snarky, he was just dark.

In terms of the storyline, I didn't feel too let down. It was classic Skulduggery Pleasant, with twists and turns and lots of. However there is a vital, important thing that happens near the end of the book. I'm not going to spoil it, but let's just say that it's what happens at the Temple of the Brides (you'll understand what I mean if you've read the book) - what happened here really impressed me and shocked me, but the way it was dealt with afterwards disappointed me a lot. It was almost as if it never happened.

Please, don't be put off buying the book after what I've said - there are probably far more people that adore the action and guns than people who might share my views. This isn't a bad book by any means, I think I just expected too much light-heartedness and originality from a series that is getting darker and darker and nearing its end. If you've loved all of the other SP books, you'll love this. Thank you for reading. :)
on 26 January 2014
WOW what an amazing book.

These stories could be made into films but I doubt anyone has the skill to match Derek Landy's writing and have the imagination to truly capture the essence of Skulduggery Pleasant.

I'm more than happy to have discovered Skulduggery Pleasant in the written word and I will miss him when the series ends but I know I will be able to 're-read those wonderful words time and time again.

As brilliant as the story truly was it took me a few chapters to get acquainted with Skulduggery and the gang. With the gap between books I had forgotten some characters and what they had been up to. A few had changed allegiances in the last instalment but eventually I was hooked.

It's a shame it had to end and that's my only real criticism - the ending was far too abrupt. I can't believe the next book will be Derek Landy's last (with regard to Skulduggery). But he is talented and I am sure he has lots of stories stored up that will thrill us all.

Would recommend this book to anyone and everyone.

Karrie
on 2 January 2014
I started reading skulduggery a few years ago when my nephew lent me the first book (he was prob about 8 at the time and I was 33!) I initially did it to make him happy as he had loved reading it. But a few pages in and I couldn't put it down and it has been like that ever since. I absolutely love all of the books. This one being no exception. Derek Landy is a genius, I love his style, it is so descriptive I am immediately immersed in the story I can picture the surroundings and all the characters. I love his sense of humour and sarcasm, it makes you feel you really know the characters. I have to say I cried a fair bit in this one and that is because of the bond you build up over the books with each character, as they are constantly expanded and developed. My nephew now 11 still loves these books and at 36 so do I. I read this in less than a week and now I cannot wait till Sept!! It doesn't matter how old you are if you love magic and adventure and humour these books are for you!! Keep it coming Derek .
on 29 August 2013
The first thing you've got to know about this book is that everything comes together in it. All those teeny tinny clues that you've read about and forgotten come together. It is a satisfying read and I recommend it to readers of Percy Jackson, by Rick Riordan, or any other person who enjoys reading about secret society's, magic kept hidden and any other thing that leaves me tingling in suspense. I am going to presume that if you are reading this you have read the rest of Derek Landy's Skulduggery Pleasant series. If you have't yet then search up, Playing with Fire, by Derek Landy. this series is amazing, give the books a go.
In this eighth tale of Valkyrie Cain, tension between the Irish Sanctuary and the Supreme Council have exploded, and suddenly, Valkyrie finds herself splat bang, in the middle of war. Trouble is, this war is not the worst of their problems. Valkyrie has been trying to lead two lives, both with paths leading down separate roads. Her reflection no longer seems to reflect her. In the beginning, it seems as if they might stand a chance of winning the war, then everything comes crashing down and Valkyrie has no one there. Just her and Skulduggery against a warring world. Who is killing of the Warlocks? When will Darquesse escape? With the Dead Men back together, hope rises. But this is their last stand, and will the dead men return as seven after war is fought, or will they finally be, dead me.
If you are not yet convinced about buying this book then think about this: Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it....
ARE YOU CONVINCED YET?? This book is, awesome a thousand times over.
on 12 September 2013
Just like the Harry Potter series got darker and didn't really get brighter at the end of each book, this series is getting bleaker and infinitely more enjoyable, but with a very dangerous mood. Characters die and things get broken that can't be fixed. Loved it. Can't wait for the next one.