on 12 July 2014
This tale starts off with the viewer observing the natural love that exists between two people, recording their everyday interaction on a mobile phone, something that we have all done and still do. Life is normal and happy! Then the scene changes abruptly, to the aftereffects of some apocalyptic catastrophe that causes all power to fail and bodies lying in the streets, leaving Kai and Toby (our main characters), holed up in Tobi’s home, reviewing their life and slowly coming to terms with their current predicament and their future (if any).

As a sci-fi & fantasy fan, I have wondered on occasion, if the end for us all was imminent, what would I do? For me, I would want to spend my last days, hours or minutes, with the person / people that I love and meet my end with dignity and not be alone. I believe that the vast majority of us would like to do this and you see this reflected in 1 Last Chance at Paradise. There are wonderfully touching interactions between two people who love each other as they slowly deal with what has gone wrong in their lives, through descriptive dialogue and flashbacks. As for what exactly has gone wrong, you’ll need to watch the film, no spoilers with this review.

It’s fascinating to watch how two people work their way through their lives to how they have ended up where they are, with each other. It’s a wonderfully engaging dialogue that makes you want to listen to the next word, sentence and in parts revelation. You’ll experience a really well written example of Tobi’s “coming out” journey. How he has to deal with the uneducated, ill-informed prejudices from his mother.

If you follow Wade Radford’s films, this film and his character of Kai, is a real departure from his portrayals of the harsh reality of how people rationalise their actions to survive. 1 Last Chance at Paradise, gives you, the viewer, the opportunity to see sides of his character that you often don’t see, a calm, loving, sensitive and fearful individual.

What did I take away from this film? Be with the one that you love, enjoy life with the one that you love, because that is the time you are alive as it can all end, so suddenly. Also, it’s great to finish watching a film with a huge grin on your face. Thanks, Wade.
on 6 February 2016
Was sorely disappointed - very cheesy' acting, poor storyline and altogether a load of crap!