on 20 August 2012
This is a dystopian YA fiction, a genre which has been on the rise since the success of the The Hunger Games. The story here is original and there are plenty of interesting characters involved in an alternative world. Even if you wouldn't normally read YA fiction, this is worth a go!
on 20 August 2012
Powerful storytelling by a fresh new talent. There have been quite a few dystopian future-type books around but few deliver as well as this one. I think it is down to the characters and how believable Kate Jack makes them, which means you care what happens. Jeremiah is a very good main character and I think this book hits the mark for its target audience.
on 27 August 2012
Land Of Midnight Days is one of those gripping books that once I started, I couldn't put down because I just had to know what happened next. It begins with a chase and basically carries the reader from one dramatic event to the next. The characters are vividly brought to life in such a way that you can identify with each of them, and the City is described in such detail that you could almost be there, living through the drama. I really enjoyed this novel and can't wait read the next part of the trilogy. I absolutely recommend it!!
on 30 October 2012
Katrina Jack managed to accomplish what I thought would never happen--enjoy urban fantasy. It was never a genre that I cared for. However, from the outset of her storytelling, I was won over. She clarifies the immediate tension via a `message' of hate. By describing Jeremiah's more slender-than-usual frame, we imagine what the Wannabes look like. The girl with the scar in the window was haunting and kept me interested in the plot. And then we have Ezra. Well, who could not move on to chapter two?
I love the line about Jeremiah: He knew how to survive but not how to live. The world Ms. Jack paints here, one of violence and apathy, is one we can relate to; as we likewise understand Jeremiah's weariness over contempt and bigotry. How compelling it is when the author then weaves in something beautiful.
Throughout, this tale keeps the reader riveted. I am glad that I obtained a copy of this. Three cheers for Land of Midnight Days.
on 19 December 2013
I'd had the pleasure of reading a great deal of this book on a writing site long, long ago, but was never able to finish the book until recently. Wow! This book definitely lived up to all the wonderful things I'd heard about it from other readers. The story clips along at breakneck speed, never letting up for a second, as Jeremiah is plunged into unimaginable danger.

The author has created a world where danger lurks around every corner and the general population are so cowed by fear, that they won't rise up to defend themselves. It's a world populated by Gangers, Wanna-Be's, Ogres, and Elwyn. Jeremiah Tully, a mute half-Elwyn, faces constant hatred and prejudice. His life is dictated by a cruel and abusive guardian (Ezra) who provides Jeremiah a place to live in exchange for playing his flute at Ezra's club. As if ordinary life isn't dangerous enough, there is an epic battle is brewing and Jeremiah somehow finds himself at the center of it.

Jeremiah is a sympathetic character, but many of the characters who are supposed to be "good guys" are not very likable at all. The people who should have Jeremiah's best interests at heart sometimes become so caught up in Jeremiah's destiny, they forget he's a person in his own right. As Jeremiah struggles to survive, he is also facing an internal struggle as he realizes his life is full of secrets and disappointment.

I'd recommend this book to older teens and adults who enjoy complex, well-written urban fantasy. It's definitely worth your time reading. You won't be disappointed!
on 30 November 2012
Before I started to read this book I wasn't sure if it was going to be for me. Well I shouldn't have worried! I was swept in right from the start. Here's the synopsis:

What would you do if your life was filled with fear: hide, run away - or would you fight back?
In a city at war with itself, Jeremiah Tully already knows how to survive, now he must learn how to live. Mute from birth, of mixed race heritage and his only possession a charmed flute, Jeremiah tries to discover where his remarkable talent as a musician will take him.

Briefly because I hate giving away the plot of any book, it's about Jeremiah Tully a young mixed race boy who's been abandoned by his mum into the care of a brutish landlord of a run down guest house. Jeremiah is unable to speak and gets by in the gang ravished town were he lives by playing his flute for tips. His flute was a present from his mother, left in the care of his landlord until his 9th birthday. The gangs are becoming more aggressive and the population are too frightened to do anything about the situation. Jeremiah gets pulled into the heart of the trouble as disaster creeps ever closer.

The story is well structured and fast paced and the action keeps coming as the tension builds. I could clearly picture the characters and the descriptions were good making this an engaging read. It more than held my interest, dragging me back at every opportunity to find out what was going to happen next!

Yes I would definitely recommend this book, it's a great read!
on 23 August 2012
A dystopian fantasy, set in a futuristic city and modernising demons and elves and ogres in a highly original way. Intended for a YA audience but complex enough to interest any age. I took the book on holiday and couldn't wait to get back from whatever I was doing to read the next bit. A real page turner by a talented new writer, clever and exciting.
on 19 August 2012
Really enjoyed this novel. With impressive characterisation and intriguing plot lines, I was really stunned how I so readily enjoyed a book written for young adults! The novel is easily read and yet has more than sufficient complexities to keep any age interested - and intrigued. An excellent book.
I'd be lying if I said I thoroughly enjoyed this novel although it had it's fair share of "moments". It centred on young Jeremiah; a mute half Elwyn/norm whose only talent was to play an inscribed silver flute which he did nightly in the scuzzy bar of his brutish landlord / guardian, Ezra. For him daily life was about survival, being easy prey for the violent gang members who roamed the town with alacrity hunting down Elwyn or anyone else who crossed their path just for fun.

At first I thought the book was based in some middle earth-type land but when they began jumping into vans, clad in jeans and packing Glocks, the vision was muddied and a bit baffling to be honest. Ogres and guns don't really mix if you ask me and the author failed to set the scene to any great extent. We were dropped into the ubiquitous "Dystopian fantasy" in a city of no name, time or even planet inhabited by creatures about whom we were told little. The running theme was pure violence and hatred and this made initially it quite a tedious read as it basically lurched from fight to fight with bucketloads of claret spilt in every chapter. Jeremiah was a pretty colourless individual and his kin were a dour and pretty spiteful lot who knew of his "destiny" but strangely seemed indifferent to helping him with so much at stake. It was difficult to empathise with, and thus really root for the "good" guys in this sadly.

I'm not one for excessive padding in a novel but do feel the author skimmed on details for whatever reason. Agreed it is up to the reader to work with an author's book to imagine their own vision (that's the beauty of reading) but we are given scant detail regarding the land and it's characters and if you blinked you could easily miss pivotal moments in the plot. Overall, this novel definitely had a decent story but the telling of it could have been improved with an injection of warmth and humour and the dull cover does it no favours either.
on 13 September 2012
I fell in love with Jeremiah, the boy who runs from perils a seasoned hero would struggle to face. Who wouldn't like an understated character who surprises with ingenuity and hidden talents, and communicates through a charmed flute. A gripping and atmospheric story, not just for young readers.