Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£5.85

on 24 November 2009
I love Oscar Wilde. He's so pretty, witty, and gay. He's hands-down one of my favourite playwrights and poets, though I've yet to get around to reading all of his poetry or plays. I listened to this full-cast audio recording while I photocopied 3,000 pages at work, and I don't think I would have been able to get through that task without this play.

This play is a satire of marriage and how in the time period where it was written, a happy marriage was not the most prevalent. Lady Windermere hears hints that her husband, whom she loves devoutly and believes that he feels the same, has been giving money to an attractive and mysterious woman, a Mrs. Erlynne. She begins to doubt their love, and is incensed when her husband insists that she must invite Mrs. Erlynne to a ball Lady Windermere is holding that night. She is so furious that she proclaims if the woman comes into her home she will smack her across the face with the fan her husband gave her that morning. The fan becomes a symbol of her mistrust for her husband, and later on, her precarious honour.

It's a tightly-written play, where each character comments on a type of personality and each has a purpose. No character is flat or stale, and everything comes together like a dance at the end. There's a twist that I found rather easy to guess, but it's still an excellent play and worth reading/watching/listening to if you enjoy clever dialogue and witty banter. It has one of my favourite quotes in it, which is perhaps overquoted now, but I love it still:

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
on 18 September 2014
Although it is the original, I advise people to get the DVD of A Good Woman with Helen Hunt, Scarlett Johannson and Tom Wilkinson. It is a fantastic version more or less of the original play. Full of Wilde's aphorisms.
on 27 July 2013
It's an all time classic, heralding that favourite Wilde quote: "We are all living in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars". Read it.
on 19 May 2014
the play that made his name ..some fantastic lines...see it performed in Northenden manchester this week ..19 - 24 may 2014 [...] for tickets
on 29 October 2009
An excellent play; strong characters (Darlington comes to mind), streamlined storytelling and of course top full of Wilde's infamous wit. This is one of those plays which you cannot help but enjoy and remember.

Buy it and enjoy it.
on 14 February 2015
great reading
on 9 September 2004
I had to read this play for my A Levels, and as with most books on the curriculum a teenager wouldnt usually pick them up, but once again the exam boards have chosen another great classic!! Oscar wildes play is a great reflection on the times and the dramatic twist of the play is what makes the play so great. A definite must read, like all other Wilde publications