Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have used Scrubs from many different manufacturers. My favourite scrub is the one in the Lab Series range, which contains a very high proportion of the microbeads in a rich lathering gel. Many of the lower priced scrubs have been very disappointing, they either contain very few beads or the cream they use, dries out my face. I use the scrub before shaving to soften the stubble. This reduces drag and potential razer burn, as I have sensitive skin. Whilst this product is not up to the quality standards of Lab Series, it is still pretty good for the price. My major concern is that the beads in many of the scrubs tend to be apricot husk, whereas this product states they are made from polyethylene. This cannot be good for the environment. I would prefer to see a product without such material in it. So does this product work? Yes it does soften the stubble, it does reduce razer burn and it does remove dead skin cells. There is no dryness or tightness of the skin after using it.

So overall this is pretty abrasive, but not as much as the higher end products. It works, but I do not like the fact that it uses polyethylene. Other than this concern, I am happy to recommend the product.
VINE VOICEon 29 November 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having ordered this product on Vine, I was thinking it would be rather daft of me to then mark it only one star for containing polyethylene, a plastic that is not good for the environment. L'Oreal have said they will phase polyethylene out of their products by 2017. Had I known the microbeads in this product were still plastic I would not have ordered it, however I have tested it.

The product feels like a mild soap with grit in it. It contains no soap, or grit for that matter. Massaging it into my face is quite a pleasant experience and after a few days I began to notice and feel a difference. My face felt a lot fresher and less oily and I could easily believe that this was due to the product unblocking some pores and removing some dead skin.

It is not as easy to rinse off the face as normal soap or cleanser would be, but it is not impossible. It just takes me two or three good rinses. I also decided after the first two washes not to use it on my forehead as getting it too close to the eyes is probably a bad idea due to the microbeads. This is the only reason I've deducted a star.

Would I continue to buy this product? - absolutely not, as it contains plastic, but my rating ignores that concern. If L'Oreal ever come up with an environmental alternative, which I expect they will, I would certainly consider buying it on a regular basis if it performs as this one does.
VINE VOICEon 19 October 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This package arrive today, just about the very moment I was ready to go in the shower ... in fact, I had to quickly get dressed and chase the postie down the road! To shave I've defaulted to one of the L'Oreal shaving gels and I get good results with it, but even so when you shave you are dragging a razor across your face and it's pretty inevitable you end up with some redness, at least, and more usually a bit of dullness in the skin due to abrasion and dried skin. On top, depending on skin type, you may have grease or dryness that needs attention. So a product like this can be important.

So on to actual practice. I tend to have a bit of a greasy skin around my forehead and nose, but then it seems to dry the further away you get from those areas. I had a shave, usual routine, and then applied a little of this product. You can feel the abrasive qualities as you rub it in and around all areas of your face. It's not too harsh feeling but you do feel it's doing some good. I rubbed it well for a couple of minutes max.

I have to say I was surprised at the result. First go, I like it! After rising in the shower my face did feel better. Not sure exactly how. It just looked less dull, like some dead cells had gone and fresh clean skin was left to shine. I am going to use it regularly based on today. Price is OK as you don't need that much, so it should last quite a while.
on 23 November 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Washing your face used to be easy - get water, get soap and apply. If you felt a little excitable, you may decide that a flannel could be used. Now you get face washes that deep clean your face, but don’t actually contain any soap - what is this magic? L’Oréal calls it ‘Men Expert Pure and Matte Scrub’ and I am not sure if I like it. Scrub by name and scrub by nature, this gel contains tiny little beads that scratch the skin slightly to remove dead layers and black heads. If you are prone to black heads, then this is a blessing, for others it can feel a little unsettling.

Despite there being no soap involved, this scrub left my skin feeling tighter and dryer than even a classic lump of rendered animal fat. My face did feel like it had a thorough going over, but I am not sure if I can handle that every day. My skin if anything is a little dry in places, the scrub went to work on these areas, but left me feeling a little raw afterwards. Like any range of face cleaners, buying the one that suits you is the key. It is just that the ‘Matte Scrub’ is a little too harsh; men with only slightly sensitive skin will find issues using it. They would be better off buying a slightly calmer anti blackhead remover. For men with a real problem with them - this should act a bit like facial napalm.
on 6 June 2016
I have been using this for many years before it even became available on Amazon. I have oily and dry skin and have cycled through so many products over the years but this is still the best hands down and I have always come back to it. Now that Amazon stocks it at a bargain price, it is permanently part of my battle against the oiliness.

One point worth noting is that it is very strong so sometimes makes the dryness of my skin more of a problem. On occasions like those I switch to my Charcoal facewash only.

I find using a gel based face moisturiser works best for keeping the oil levels down and cream based moisturisers just exacerbate the problem for my skin.
on 18 June 2013
I was pretty impressed when he first tried this face scrub. His blemishes cleared up and he looked so much better within just the first week. I wasn't letting him give that up! Just wish the price was a bit lower. It's a great product don't get me wrong, but as a young adult working an hourly job, it's hard to keep up with expensive stuff like this, but the results are worth it.

I only found out about tea tree oil a few months ago. It's supposed to have a ton of benefits, beautiful looking hair just one of them. It is also supposed to help with acne. There are some tea tree based washes that are unisex- no feminine smell, no pink packaging etc. so that made it easier to get him to try that for the rest of his body.

I found a tea tree oil soap which I started using on my face as well and cannot believe that it makes such a difference with his acne; Herbal Authority Tea Tree Oil Skin Wash + FREE 100% Australian Tea Tree Oil. I love that he can use one product and get such great results. It's totally worth it!
22 comments|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I am concerned that this product contains plastic microbeads which get flushed into drains and eventually end up in rivers, lakes and the sea - These are dangerous to the environment and a serious pollution hazard. They are so small they can be ingested by marine animals and introduce toxins into the food chain.

If you care for the environment you will avoid any product that contains microbeads
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a deep exfoliating wash to help unblock pores. It does not contain soap, so will not dry out your skin, although it does contain exfoliating micro-beads, which have been found to damage the environment (I fact I will admit I was not aware of until reading a review on this page and thank the reviewer for pointing it out). Having looked this fact up, I note that micro-beads are also present in some other products, such as toothpaste and alternatives, such as jojoba beads, are now being substituted instead of these plastic beads in other products. Hopefully, L’Oreal will follow suit, but it is something you need to be aware of in order to make an informed choice.

This face wash aims to deeply cleanse the skin, unblock pores and remove impurities. My teenage son tried this out, as he sometimes has oily skin and is at that age where he can get spots, although he generally has a good complexion. Just a small amount of this scrub lathered well and, since using it, he has certainly been less troubled with oily skin. In fact, his skin looks fresh and smooth and he was very pleased with the feel of this, the fragrance (which is very nice and fresh) and the way his skin feels afterwards. It certainly works well, but I was not aware of the issue with micro-beads and would hope that the company use something that is more friendly to seas and lakes in future products.
on 31 January 2016
I have been using this scrub for years. I found it to have a very good texture and you can use it daily if you wish. I tend to alternate a day of scrub with a day of usual face wash. It doesn't dry your skin after the use and it has just the right amount of scrubiness. The name suggests that it will keep your face oil free and matte for the day however having very oily skin I didn't find this to ensure anti-shine effect in my case.
I also use a Clinique Men Face scrub which is much harsher (I only use it once a week) and this provides a good 'cheaper' alternative to that.
VINE VOICEon 13 December 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This gel-like scrub is pleasant enough to use - not too rough on the skin, but effective enough to give you a smooth complexion afterwards. It doesn't cause any dryness or irritation and seems to be gentle enough to use daily if required.

It does, however, have the cheap, generic, aftershave-y smell that a lot of the Men Expert range seems to have, and it's quite strong and lingers on the skin. I wish they would stop scenting their products this way.

In addition, instead of natural exfoliating grains, this scrub uses plastic microbeads, which is not good for the environment, especially the oceans. For these reasons I wouldn't purchase this again; there are better scrubs out there.

See one answered question