- When you trade in £15 or more you’ll receive an additional £5 Amazon.co.uk Gift Card for the next time you spend £10 or more.
|Amazon Price||New from||Used from|
“For several years, Troy has been one of the key figures in the LINQ community. This comprehensive and well-written book serves as a compendium of the important wisdom and experience that he has accumulated through his years of studying LINQ and its uses.”
–Charlie Calvert, Microsoft C# Community Program Manager
“LINQ is changing the way we think about working with data and, in many ways, also about programming in general. LINQ to Objects Using C# 4.0 is a thorough reference that teaches how to simplify many day-to-day tasks with data. It also gives you the foundations that are necessary to understand a wide range of fascinating applications of LINQ that will, no doubt, continue to appear over the next few years.”
–Tomas Petricek, Microsoft MVP and author of Real-World Functional Programming
Your Complete Example-Rich Guide to Using and Extending LINQ to Objects and PLINQ
Using LINQ to Objects, .NET developers can write queries over object collections with the same deep functionality that was once available only with SQL and relational databases. Now, for the first time, developers have a comprehensive and authoritative guide to applying LINQ to Objects in real-world software. Microsoft MVP Troy Magennis introduces state-of-the-art techniques for working with in-memory collections more elegantly and efficiently—and writing code that is exceptionally powerful, robust, and flexible.
Drawing on his unsurpassed experience coding software using LINQ and hosting the popular HookedOnLINQ.com site, Magennis presents timely, realistic solutions to a wide spectrum of development challenges, such as combining data from multiple sources, and achieving optimal performance with extremely large sets of data. You’ll begin with brief quick-starts that walk you through LINQ to Objects’ key features and query syntax. Next, you’ll drill down to detailed techniques for applying and extending these features with C# 4.0 and C# 3.0—including code examples that reflect the realities of production development.
• Writing basic LINQ queries with C#: filtering, projecting, and sorting data from in-memory collections
• Mastering advanced techniques for grouping and joining data and understanding the performance implications of each technique
• Taking full advantage of LINQ’s standard query operators
• Creating custom query operators that follow best practices for coding patterns and error handling
• Writing more fluent, readable LINQ queries with C# 4.0’s language enhancements, including the new dynamic features
• Combining LINQ with COM-Interop to access data sources such as Microsoft Excel
• Using Parallel LINQ to Objects (PLINQ) to optimize queries for multi-core processors, and how to build custom parallel query operators
• Integrating the best LINQ to Objects patterns into your day-to-day coding
Troy Magennis is a Microsoft C# MVP and a keen traveler who currently works for Travelocity, which manages the travel and leisure websites travelocity.com, lastminute.com, and zuji. As Vice President of Architecture, he leads a talented team of architects spread across four continents, committed to being the traveler’s champion. Technology has always been a passion. After cutting his teeth on early 8-bit personal computers, Troy moved into electronic engineering (assembly language coding), which later led to positions in software application development and architecture for some of the most prominent corporations in automotive, banking, and online commerce. Troy’s first exposure to LINQ was in 2006 when he took a sabbatical to learn it and became hooked, ultimately leading him to publish the popular HookedOnLINQ website.