on 24 August 2010
I think that I must have bought this primarily for the gimmick of having something different in the world of I-phones that we currently live in, but also because of the claim of 11 minutes sunshine giving you 3 minutes of talk-time.

I have had this for 2 months now and a few weeks ago I lost my charger while I was away, meaning that for about 4 days I had no means of charging my phone apart from the glorious sunshine that Wales produces (mainly overcast with the odd sunny spell). Once it got to the low battery warning, if it was by the window in daylight (not just direct sunlight) I found that this was enough to keep it ticking over. I managed to keep it going for 4 days by keeping it by a window during the day and switching it off in in the night.

Obviously, this would not have been enough of a charge to make long calls, browse the internet or play music, etc. But for sending and receiving a few text messages and accessing my list of contacts this was more than enough. For this reason, I believe this is an excellent idea, that works to a good enough standard for "emergency" purposes.

The product itself just consists of a back cover that increases the width of your phone by about 5mm. This is very easy to install (just clip it on), but it has a tendency to come off very easily if you drop your phone.

The only other thing to mention is that I found that I was more mindful of how often I was charging the phone - not just plugging it in overnight. So this can only be a good thing.
on 9 April 2012
I bought this on the basis it was no more expensive than a standard back to replace the one I lost.

Easy to fit but
i) Although there are automatically invoked "apps" to show the amount of CO2 saved and theoretical rate of charge on sunny and cloudy days, there is no "live" charge indicator so you have no real idea if it is working. The rate is so low it probably does no more, even on a sunny day, than keep the battery at the same level.

ii) It is considerably thicker than the standard back so it is not possible to fit a standard gel or flip-type cover.
on 31 October 2012
when the suns out to play it does charge my battery up but it seems like a trickle of recharging is going on...
Its not much of an echo friendly image, beacuse it dosent charge enough to kind of make up on the plastics and shipping the product went through. Your better off sticking to charging it from the mains :)
on 23 December 2013
I Expected item to be able charge phone but it did not work even on days with a fair amount of Sun for a few hours.
on 24 August 2014
Worked well but no longer have need for it as that was 3 phones ago! 8
on 10 September 2010
Kept my phone going all weekend at a festival. You have to leave it in the sun for rather a long time, but it gets you out of a sticky situation.
on 15 December 2011
Hard to see when this solar charger would actually be a benefit. A whole day in the sun gives a few minutes of use and who wants to leave their mobile lying outside all day.