on 31 July 2009
The concluding series of this cult series. The acting, production and locations are all superb, as ever. This box set is marketed as Region 1 but in fact it plays on all regions, including Region 2 in the UK.
on 10 September 2009
I agree with the other two reviews. It was worth the risk.
I bought this Third Season to complete my collection, from Amazon US.(not wanting to pay over the odds) It came within a week of ordering.
I was chuffed when it worked on my 5 yr old DVD player.
As with the other two series. This collection is timeless.
on 31 October 2010
This is a good series/good box set,but my copy had the last few episodes out of order,so that after the final episode(full circle)there are still 3 episodes to go. I suggest you check with the IMDB website for the proper running order before you watch.
on 20 March 2008
I bought the Kung Fu Complete Third Season to complete my collection, when it arrived I found it was actually Region free and plays perfectly on all region settings! It also worked on my PAL tv. I can't promise it will work for you, but if you're a fan of this awsome 1970's martial arts series then it may be worth taking the risk...
88 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 May 2013
I'd been waiting to get this third and final season box set for years without success. The only one I could find was the US import from Amazon and stipulates Region 1 players only. However, having read some other reviews saying it works fine in UK, I took the risk and ordered it.

It works in every way on my player and on my boy's PS3. No problems. Furthermore, it's a great series and really is timeless. They should do a new series. It's just so sad that David Carradine is no longer with us.
on 23 February 2011
Like many I bought all three dvds in the series and whilst I was a fan of the original many years past,I saw nothing disappointing in either the production and storylines that were any more or less other than how I had remembered them.

The dvd although a "foreigner" plays perfectly well in an open region player,and I have not experienced some of the image problems a few reported here.

part of the driver for me wanting the set,as with most,is that I wanted the conclusion.........I am not sure if this was a tv series that just ran out of steam and british audiences never saw it because it was not screened or I just missed it!,but I do not have a real recollection of it.

However,the ending for me never came!

The final three episodes on the final disc of set 3 appear out of place to me,and I am not convinced that is where the series finished.

A few other anomalies were surrounding the abrupt end to the chinese assassins sent to kill him,they formed no part of the ongoing theme from about halfway in,and I imagined the final episode would have dealt with that as a finale,it didn't.

if anyone else can shed light on this I would be interested to hear their view.

Clearly for me it was left up in air,I saw no ending,so mildly disappointed.

However,it didn't detract too much from a true 70's classic,despite the "ending", or lack of, being apparently more enigmatic and cryptic than Master Po.................

And despite his great knowledge and wisdom,I know for a fact that he didn't see the ending either,so on that sad note there would be little use in asking him!
on 6 May 2013
I took a chance with buying this box set as it was region 1. Glad I did as it plays on my standard DVD player. It completes my collection of the kung fu series. It brings back great memories of my child hood when I used to watch the series. The only complaint I have is the box set which was sent to me was damaged. ie. Plastic casing inside box was broke. I sent it back and eventually I got a replacement. But it cost me about £6.49p. Which I have not been given back as yet. Great box set but poor customer service.
on 28 October 2010
This is a terrifically differnt show and one of the few highlights of '70s American TV (with 'Columbo' and 'Night Gallery'). Well worth watching and deserving of a release on DVD. Unfortunately, these episodes are scanned to simulate a wide screen. They were originally shot in the academy ratio, 3 by 4, which is what most TV up to the mid '90s was shot on and fit the traditional size of TVs through the decades. It's also the ratio of the vast amount of movies made until the mid '50s. To make it relevant to today's audiences and their wide-screen TVs, they have cut out huge swathes of the image on the top and bottom - possibly as much as 30%, maybe more. Imagine having an large photo, which measures 4 by 3 and then sticking two black cardboard tapes to mask the top and bottom part of the image to give it an elongated shape. For a show that was composed by it's creators to fill in a different size and for which it won Emmys for it's photography and direction, this is an utterly shameful act of corporate vandalism, akin to the way they cut 40 minute 'Night Gallery' episodes down to half an hour for syndication purposes. Don't buy this, find another way of getting your hands on it, until they grow up and release it as it's makers intended.
on 21 December 2013
I remember the Kung Fu series the first time around and was impressed with their originality. Whether a series such as this would be made today, I don't know, but looking back, the first two efforts were certainly ground breaking.

Viewing the third series, I quickly came to the conclusion that the writers/producers or whoever, stopped it at the right time. It had begun to grow stale and, in some areas, silly and self indulgent. A case in point is the double episode of "Besieged", which could have been so much better than it was. Drawn out, boring and with a very annoying heroin, exchanging long, meaningful glances with Caine (Carradine and Hersey were "romantically" involved at the time). The less said about "Cry of the Night Beast" and "The Demon God", the better.

Even Master Po becomes tedious. Poor old duck.

There are some gems in this collection, but the rest are just pebbles.
on 14 April 2013
As I said previously, "Kung Fu" changed my life, and seeing it repeated on CBS TV has given me even greater insight into why it helped me back in 1973.
Buying the DVD enables me to keep expanding my understanding so I enjoy it even more.
I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the tenets of Buddhist teaching.