on 31 August 2011
Many previous reviewers have complained about the size of the lock. I don't feel that this is a flaw, if anything a U/D lock should be as small and thick as possible to minimise the possibility of a leverage based theft as well as minimise the space available for a thief to maneuver.

For those who are trying to lock the frame and tyre to a post; there is a much simpler solution:

Secure the BACK wheel to the post THROUGH the rear triangle of the frame (between the seat and chain stays). This way you are securing the rim to the frame and both to the post. Trust me, it is exceptionally difficult to saw through the rim of a wheel and pointless as the rear wheel is the second most expensive component. With that being said I would not recommend the use of this lock by itself if you are going to be leaving your bike unattended for long periods of time as it will leave your front wheel unsecured. Make sure the keyhole is facing DOWN as this makes lockpicking more awkward.

I have not had a problem with securing the lock to my frame using the plastic holder. It doesn't rattle but mine is attached to the top tube not the seat tube.

As a side note, the newer Evo locks are not prone to the infamous Bic pen attack and you can rest assured it will not be quite so simple to steal your bike.
on 3 August 2009
I bought this lock after a number of recommendations. The last one from my local bike shop who tried to break it with a long bar and two blokes hanging off it. But aside from the strength of the thing (they failed to break it) I chose this lock because it is smaller and lighter than most standard D locks. This is why many bike messengers use it. It is also easy to lock and unlock. If you chose this lock though appreciate it will not have the reach standard D locks have ie you may not be able to fasten it through wheels and frame and an unmovable object.
on 30 November 2010
It's a strong lock which fills me full of confidence. The bracket attaching it to the bike is better than previous ones I have owned. The keylight is useful and the keyhole cover saves the lock getting rusty. Yes, it's small, but I knew that before I bought it having read other reviews on here. It is easily portable. For the first time in my life I actually read the instructions and am glad I did because it comes with a 12 month guarantee. If your bike is stolen because the security of the lock has been breached. They will refund you the cost of the bike upto £900. There are certain conditions ( you need to send receipt of bike and lock to register and the company require the "broken" lock as proof that it has been compromised) Which I think are fair.
on 16 September 2009
Small size. Light weight (for a D lock). Seems very strong. Strong bracket to mount to frame (so far). Comes with three keys, one of which has LED illumination. One year free anti theft insurance included. Looks good on the bike.
on 23 November 2011
This lock is pretty much perfect for me, and just the right size to fit around my road bike's back wheel, frame and immovable object. I really doubt it would fit a mountain bike's geometry.

However, whoever designed the bracket should be fired from Kryptonite immediately. It seems that the band is nigh-on impossible to get out of the mounting, despite me following the instructions of simply bending it with a screwdriver. I tried with all my might, screwdrivers and WD40 but it still wouldn't budge.

I've returned the item to Amazon - hopefully the replacement will be a bit more forgiving.

Edit: Replacement arrived and installed successfully! I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to get the bracket off though.

Aside from the bracket issue, I'm really pleased with it. It's small and light enough to not get in the way or add any serious weight to my bike's frame. I also haven't had any problems attaching it to numerous cycle stands, although it's worth taking an additional cable with you if you're going on a long ride.
on 12 June 2010
I've had my bike stolen before, like many living in London, so I'm not taking any chances when locking up my bike. I purchased this lock combination and another Kryptonite mini lock. It's a good lock, does the job very well so far. I use the big grey lock to tie-up the back tyre and frame, whilst the Flex cable goes around the front wheel, helmet and saddle (knot style on the saddle, which makes the most of its length!). This is where the small Kryptonite comes in, grasping the cable and the frame again to the bike stand/railing. They say two locks are better than one. I say in London, three locks (counting the flex cable) are a necessity if you own a nice bike and are proud of it. However, I wouldn't trust any locks if you're thinking of leaving a good bike outside overnight, there are too many desperate teenagers making a living out of bike theft!!
on 11 November 2010
This is a really good bike lock! The only downside is the lock is not big enough to go through the frame and the wheels for my peugeot racing bike. I noticed rusting at the end of the lock after leaving the lock in the rain for few days. It is very portable and compact, comes with a guarantee of £900. I sent the form to register my lock but never heard back from them.
on 17 March 2011
spent a while looking at locks as didn't want to be burdened with some jumbo sized mega heavy lock. this one is small but substantial and although still heavy,will fit in a back pocket. cos it's not big you have to manoeuvre the bike near railings/bike stand or such like but that's not too much hassle. i'm pleased with it.
on 5 June 2011
I decided to replace my old Kryptonite Evolution 2000, when I managed to round a key off in the mechanism, and couldn't open it. Industrial bolt-cutters couldn't cut through it either, hence why I decided to replace it with another Kryptonite lock.

This lock has a fairly small shackle, which can be limiting in locking your bike, if you are trying to incorporate the frame and a wheel. However, i use it with a cable to secure my wheels and saddle, and it works fine.

It came with 3 keys, which look very much like car keys, and not the vulnerable cylindrical locker style keys, which my old Kryptonite had.

I can't comment on how it sits in the bracket on the frame, as I have never tried.

Heavy but solid. Can limit places to lock.
on 24 February 2010
I had it to replace my lost onguard lock which I don't know how I lost it. It is smaller, much compact one, sometimes I have a bit struggle attach it to a bike rack, but the design and quality is very good, finished with a orange paiting refection colour to prevent losing it at night and a keyhole protector which is also handy to prevent water coming into the keyhole to rust inside.